PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon is Out of Powder

RydForLyf
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I just got off the phone with one of the favorite powder and primer suppliers asking about stuff. He told me that he got word yesterday that Hodgdon is out of powder and will most likely be sending workers home until they get another shipment in from overseas to package.

So much for me getting any 231 or HP-38 any time soon.

-RFL

DCP
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
This sucks

Anyone have the whole story.

Is customs holding this up or what?

nhrifle
03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Sorry guys, my bad. Shouldn't have placed that last powder order.....

Love Life
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Sorry guys, my bad. Shouldn't have placed that last powder order.....

Evil hoarder!!

oldred
03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I keep hearing references to customs holding up imports on ammo and/or components, is this just rumor or is there some actual evidence to support it? If it's true (and I wouldn't be surprised if it is) maybe it will just be temporary since it's not illegal goods they can not hold it up indefinitely, or can they?

jakharath
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
So drugs and people can cross our borders without difficulty, but ammo and components cant?

:(

Boerrancher
03-08-2013, 12:30 PM
So drugs and people can cross our borders without difficulty, but ammo and components cant?

:(

Ammo and components don't fit "their" vision for Amerika. I can not confirm nor deny the rumors about customs, but I will say I have a neighbor who is very connected, and moved out here to get away in his retirement years. He insists that the gov is behind it. I don't know, but my guess would be he is right.

Best wishes,

Joe

RydForLyf
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
With the mass bullet shopping sprees we've heard about recently, it's easy to imagine how that would put a kink in the pipeline.

-RFL

GT27
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
The bills aren't being paid to China by the big O,the funds went for Sasquatch's vacation...:evil:

oldred
03-08-2013, 12:40 PM
He insists that the gov is behind it. I don't know, but my guess would be he is right.

Best wishes,Joe

I don't know if the current shortage is mainly caused by hoarding, the Government blocking supplies or a combination of both but I think a person would have to be a bit naive to think the Government goons don't have their dirty mitts into it somehow!

Adam10mm
03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I just got off the phone with one of the favorite powder and primer suppliers asking about stuff. He told me that he got word yesterday that Hodgdon is out of powder and will most likely be sending workers home until they get another shipment in from overseas to package.

-RFL
W231 and HP38 are the same exact powder and both are manufactured domestically in Florida by St Marks Powder. It's known as SMP231 powder. Sleep well and give it time.

RydForLyf
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
W231 and HP38 are the same exact powder and both are manufactured domestically in Florida by St Marks Powder. It's known as SMP231 powder. Sleep well and give it time.

It's not anyone's fault but my own. I built up an order last summer, but because we weren't finding time to shoot I never sent it in. Our shooting picked up in January and I realized I needed to get some powder on the shelf, so I put in my order and now I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm not hoarding, just ordering a pound of this and a couple of that.

Now I wait and try to figure out if there's a slick way out of this pickle jar I've gotten myself into.

-RFL

P.K.
03-08-2013, 12:50 PM
It's the Sequester, ole Janet furloughing all those BP and customs folks...But if you want my foil hat version, think of lots of blue helmets drawing ammo from ports of entry....

popper
03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Probably wasn't a huge amount of powder in the pipe anyway. With all the possible legislation in the works I suspect the CEOs of these companies are being cautious about what they do. Add the second term blues and this is what you get. GM has reduced Volt manufacturing, as has Nissan (Leaf).

felix
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
How do you know this is true today? St. Marks is inundated now. I have been watching their number of storage units grow beyond belief for a powder (only) manufacturer over the last few years. A company in Scotland was making HP38 for years for Shawnee Mission. ... felix

30°10'38.82"N 84°13'41.58"W

RydForLyf
03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Just for Grins, I called out to Hodgdon to see if they would tell me anything. The offices are closed.

-RFL

TheGrimReaper
03-08-2013, 01:42 PM
This sucks I need H-335 bad.

btroj
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Look on their web site. It says it is due to demand and demand alone.

Best bet is to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

They simply can't make it fast enough. Just like primers, bullets, and everything else.

MtGun44
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Amazing - if true. I do know that most Win powders (which Hodgdon packages
and markets) many Hodgdon powders come from St. Marks in FL, but a lot also
come from Australia.

Got to laugh - just got off the phone from a well known AR parts supplier, my backordered
barrel finally came in. I asked if they were catching up, and she laughed and said it is still
crazy. They got 1200 mags in, put them on their web site (retail only) and 6 minutes later
got a call saying he couldn't order a mag. They said that the site must have a glitch and they
would look into it. No glitch. They were sold out. I asked if they were some guys buying
100 at a time, she said - No, just retail, a few per order.

1200 AR mags GONE in 6 MINUTES! 200 mags per minute.

Wow.

Bill

Freightman
03-08-2013, 01:59 PM
wait awhile all this will show up at the gun shows as soon as some of these who went in deep debt relies they do not like to reload and the bill are due. Know a man who went and put $10,000 on his credit card, his business card, and soon he will need supplies for his business and is going to sell or go out of business.He is a landscaper and spring is coming.

Hardcast416taylor
03-08-2013, 02:50 PM
GEE! I didn`t know that gunpowders had to sit and age for a period of 4 years or more???

At least you can`t blame me for this chaos! I laid in supplies over the last 6 years or more.Robert

Hyphenated
03-08-2013, 11:08 PM
wait awhile all this will show up at the gun shows as soon as some of these who went in deep debt relies they do not like to reload and the bill are due. Know a man who went and put $10,000 on his credit card, his business card, and soon he will need supplies for his business and is going to sell or go out of business.He is a landscaper and spring is coming.

Bingo...I was at a gun shop earlier this week. There was a younger guy (no offense to you 20 somethings) in there trying to get $2500 for an AR he bought 3 months ago. He prolly put it on his CC at a gun show and now he can't make his car payments.

JeffinNZ
03-08-2013, 11:18 PM
I would be interested to know if Hodgdon has an import quota. How tightly controlled it powder for importing into the US? It can't be too tight as the thick end of Hodgdon powders, certainly the stick varieties, are made in Australia. If there is a quota and it has been exceded due to the damand then that could make things sticky. I would wager that panic buying is just causing supply shortages.

dakotashooter2
03-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Ammo doesn't vote............................... Except in extreme cases..................

9.3X62AL
03-09-2013, 12:30 AM
The Hoarders......The Flippers......and The Chicken Littles. Yes, it will be delightful when these supplies start showing up at gun shows or other sources. And that's a definite WHEN, not an IF.

hithard
03-09-2013, 12:37 AM
The Hoarders......The Flippers......and The Chicken Littles. Yes, it will be delightful when these supplies start showing up at gun shows or other sources. And that's a definite WHEN, not an IF.

I too hope that this administration won't step in and stop that from happening.

Ed Barrett
03-09-2013, 01:20 AM
GEE! I didn`t know that gunpowders had to sit and age for a period of 4 years or more???

The powder maker in Scotland is trying to make a single malt powder that will be aged at least ten years. Expensive but it will push the cast bullets very smoothly.

sparkz
03-09-2013, 01:58 AM

I sure hope its a show near me.... lol

Boyscout
03-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Anyone know how Ortho's Weed-be-Gone works? The active ingrediant is a chemical known as 2,4 D. It is a growth hormone. You spray the weed and it grows so fast it burns itself out and dies. I think we have been 2,4 D'd. Obama is getting ready to apply a second application. of Constitution-be-Gone!

Stephen Cohen
03-09-2013, 04:09 AM
I was at range today and was told some ammo is getting hard to get here as well, have been told that Ruger is taking no further orders from Australia, due to number of full shopping carts leaving Walmart loaded with anything that shoots.

2HighSpeed
03-09-2013, 01:07 PM
My husband has some at mags, around 12 I think. He was prepping for when he bought his AR. However that AR doesn't look like a possibility anytime in the near future

dualsport
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I think there's a hidden message here. If this can happen with a non-perishable item like ammo/components, what if there's a panic buy on food? Might want to lay in a supply of chow with a good shelf life. Ya never know.

1Shirt
03-09-2013, 04:22 PM
FDR said "All we have to fear is fear itself", now all we have to fear is reality!
1Shirt!

MtGun44
03-09-2013, 04:32 PM
If there is any sort of a transportation interruption, the groceery warehouses in most cities will
be empty in about 3 days or so, especially if there is panic buying. Modern marketing mantra
is "just in time" for everything, meaning NOT keeping significant quantities of product stored
anywhere. Works fine in normal times, but it there is a transportation interruption or panic
buying, it fails immediately. Keeping an extra supply of critical items is a lesson I learned
during the hurricanes of my youth in VA and FL, reiterated by ice storms in KS.

If you are not prepared for varying degrees of "systems failures" you will suffer.

Bill

Chicken Thief
03-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Oh the irony!

VihtaVuori in Finland is closing and ya'll cant get powder.

Can anyone else but me se something way askew in the ballance of things?

Adam10mm
03-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Oh the irony!

VihtaVuori in Finland is closing and ya'll cant get powder.
That is false.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3788668.0

starmac
03-10-2013, 03:32 AM
I think there's a hidden message here. If this can happen with a non-perishable item like ammo/components, what if there's a panic buy on food? Might want to lay in a supply of chow with a good shelf life. Ya never know.

If you haven't all ready, you are waaaay behind. lol

Nrut
03-11-2013, 01:55 AM
RydForLyf,

Looks like your "Hodgdon is Out of Powder" source is mistaken..

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7527493/gonew/1/Hodgdon_sold_out#UNREAD

garym1a2
03-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Always keep a 8lb can of bullseye around and you are set for handgun ammo backup.
When short of WST or WSF I just sub inBE.
BE is not as fast nor clean but it still works and has good accuracy in most handguns.

DCP
03-11-2013, 07:29 AM
We could have a whole post on what

RydForLyf is

RydForLyf,

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7527493/gonew/1/Hodgdon_sold_out#UNREAD

cajun shooter
03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
If you want to see how fast a store can run out of everything then just come to Louisiana when we have about three days left before landfall of a very large Hurricane.
People only think of themselves and no one else.
During one of many that I have been through, the hardest thing to find is fuel for the generators. I was in a line at a local grocery that sold fuel. The two vehicles in front of me were allowed to fill one 30gal drum in the rear bed and many 5 gal containers. When my turn came at the pumps I was only allowed to purchase one 5 gal container. The reasons given were twofold. One was I was not a regular customer and two was that the supply was becoming low and he would have to conserve for others in line. I asked about the two in front of me and was told to buy my fuel and leave.
The same type of thing has taken place with all the shooting supplies. Those with money and influence have first shot and then the rest are fed. I also have to think that some of our problems come from the anti gun groups with their large bank accounts. If they can't get our guns, what about buying up the ammo and supplies. I have no proof of this thought but I find it strange that this has now taken place twice since our anti gun president has been in office.
What is to keep him from giving certain groups a heads up on buying items before he makes certain gun statements on TV? Later David

David2011
03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
RydForLyf,

Try www.hodgdon.com and click on the link for "Why can't I find Hodgdon powders?" Seems it's pretty much true that they are having trouble delivering powder right now.

David

Nrut
03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Try www.hodgdon.com and click on the link for "Why can't I find Hodgdon powders?" Seems it's pretty much true that they are having trouble delivering powder right now.

David

Yes, as are all reloading component manufactures are swamped now..
But who's fault is that?****
__________________________________________________ _____
In the OP RFL source suggests:

>>will most likely be sending workers home until they get another shipment in from overseas to package<<
Really???
He didn't get that info from Hodgdon or he would have said so!

Hodgdon is Out of Powder

-RFL
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Then in post #16 he posted:

Just for Grins, I called out to Hodgdon to see if they would tell me anything. The offices are closed.

-RFL

>>As stated in the link I gave to 24hr. Campfire, Hodgdon is closed on Fridays..<<
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
And finally David, did you read Hodgdons Statement in the link you provided?
BTW David if you poke around on the net you will see that this was written in 2008..

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?

As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components – including all Hodgdon powders – are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.

Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.

NOTE!!------------------------------
Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.
--------------------------------------

Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.

Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into..
__________________________________________________ __________________
**** People who can't seem to be able to connect the dots, even after the 1994 election of clinton or the ovomit election of 2008..
I could go on more about these people, but it wouldn't change their behavior..
So I now have to change my behavior to accommodate for theirs, by doing an inventory of my components just before a US election to insure that I have enough to last me for the next 2 years..
I don't like doing that,,,but?
Last spring I went into the local sporting shop and asked how his supplier was holding up for SR primers..
He did a internet check and said that they had something like 22 cases..
In Oct I went in and ordered a case of SR primers and a couple 1000 LR primers, plus some interesting new powders I have been reading about..
He thought that was strange and asked me if I thought there was going to be a problem if ovomit got elected..
I told him that ovomit would not be the cause of a component shortage, but it was all the nit's who can't seem to connect the dots that I was worried about!

Unfortunately I was correct..

David2011
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Nrut,

Yes, of course I read Hodgdon's UNDATED statement. That's where I got the information directly from the horse's mouth and chose to provide a direct link for those interested enough to see it for themselves. It may or may not be the same statement they published in 2008. I prefer to go to the source over poking around on the net. What difference does it make when it was written or if something similar was published during a previous shortage? It was an active link on the Hodgdon website on March 11, 2013 for their current situation.

The political climate of the Obama administration is clearly, IMO, directly associated with the current run on everything related to firearms. If he is not the cause he is certainly the catalyst. Blame the "nits" if you want for panicing under the environment. You are correct there as their failure to plan or need to stockpile large quantities as affected everyone who reloads in North America. Those who failed to "Be Prepared" were not good Boy Scouts.

At my house, others are not to blame if I run out of components regardless of runs on items. It is my responsibility to make sure that I have enough dried rice, beans, oats, powder and primers to get me through lean times. I look at my reloading inventory from 2 perspectives. One is how much I think I should have on hand for a primer crunch as we have now and the other is to leave that stock alone when primers are plentiful; even to augment that stock so I can weather a year or more of competition and practice sessions.

David

MtGun44
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Just checked and Hodgdon is NOT out of powder. They are being overloaded with
orders and their suppliers are under pressure. This if from a seriously reliable source.

Today. Believe it.

They did double what they did last Jan and Feb, tho. Working LOTS of overtime making their
orders, but making them.

Bill

KYCaster
03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
A friend of mine who has a 07FFL told me he got an E-mail from Hodgdon today telling him the order he placed at the SHOT Show will be shipped this week.

That's about a 60 day delay for a 500 lb. order. They say they're shipping orders in the same order as received.

So much for internet rumor. [smilie=1:

Jerry

P.K.
03-13-2013, 05:40 AM
A friend of mine who has a 07FFL told me he got an E-mail from Hodgdon today telling him the order he placed at the SHOT Show will be shipped this week.

That's about a 60 day delay for a 500 lb. order. They say they're shipping orders in the same order as received.

So much for internet rumor. [smilie=1:

Jerry

But if it's on-line it's TRUE!:bigsmyl2: