PDA

View Full Version : Casting boolets of lead-free solder

trk
08-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Seeing the recent post about lead-free solder prompts this question. I just contracted with my boss to purchase all the solder scraps (from solder pots used to tin wire) from the plant. It is lead-free solder (I'll check on what goes into the solder-pots to find the mix).

SO, has anyone broken new ground and tried casting it AS IS ?

The scraps are HARD enough so as to resist ANY marking from fingernail testing!

Sure, it would just drill holes and not expand, but might also be cabable of high velocities or good accuracy or less leading.

felix
08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Ya' just gotta' try it and report back! ... felix

trk
08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Felix - I will. Might even start with the HBC bullet! (As it casts at about .310 which is a bit smaller than several others I have and would require much less sizing.)

leftiye
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Actually, I was going to say "You just gotta be kidding!" That stuff is worth $5.00 a pound! I'd sell it (ingotized) to other casters or trade it for WW and/or Pure PB. which are worth less than $1.00 per lb. You'd increase your number of boolits by a large multiplier, and they'd weigh what they were supposed to.

Johnch
08-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I did a BO bo and cast some bullets out of 50% WW and 50% 95 / 5 lead free solder :coffee:

I lubed , seated GC's and started to load them before I woke up

So I fired the 3 I had loaded into a cardboard bale to see how they shot

Shot well , got a slightly larger group than the same bullet out of WW+1% tin
But the FPS probely was quite a bit faster
So that would explaine the group size

I now add a few bullets to my mix , to add tin [smilie=1:

John

trk
08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
The lead free solder cost me about 2.80 a pound, got 30 or 31 lbs today.

WOW - what an experience smelting and casting!

Smelting was just like lead or lino. BUT casting was MUCH different.

Observations:

1. Tin doesn't hardly stick to anything - not to moulds nor to cold ladle!

2. Tin doesn't transfer heat very well (compared to lead or lead-tin alloy). It took a MINUTE or TWO for the alloy to harden on top of the sprue cutter!!!!! And that was with the ONE cavity Lee .30 cal mould. The RCBS 35-200 mould took 3 or more minutes for the alloy to harden!

3. The 30 cal bullets were the crispest shiney-ist bullets I've ever poured.

4. Size was within a thou (on diameter of .30 cal) of those poured earlier.

5. Casting was done at about 650, I usually pour bullets at 750.

STP
08-15-2007, 08:54 AM
I`ve cast #454190 with straight 95/5 solder for a friend. He provided the 45 Colt nickled brass, torched the LP primers in a layer of sand, and I loaded them as inert rounds for him.
Had to cast plenty to get 50 that showed no mould lines. Sized and lubed with a flat top punch, and gently taper crimped, they looked very good.
Got an autographed photo from his pal he gave them to...
The Lone Ranger (J. Hart)

trk
08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
STP - THAT's COOL!

I found the solder is Kester 96.5% Tin (Sn), 3% Silver (Ag) and 0.5% Copper (Cu).

FWIW. Right much shiney boolets. Need to cast a bunch and work up some loads now.