PDA

View Full Version : Lead Score; had to share

cohutt
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Scored this morning; had to come home for lunch to snap a pic and post. Couldn't wait til tonight; you guys understand don't you?

:mrgreen:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/leadaugust20071.jpg

madcaster
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Bestill my heart!what a load of galena!

VTDW
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
There IS a Jesus!!! Congrats

gray wolf
08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
HOOOOOOOOOOOO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :drinks:

targetshootr
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Nice. So where do you find lead already in ingots?

cohutt
08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Nice. So where do you find lead already in ingots?

Depends... you're not in the SE USA are you? :-D

targetshootr
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm in central NC and wonder if I should start hoarding before the EPA goes postal.

cohutt
08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Seriously, I have a standing agreement with friend who has a side business handling scrap. I crapped when they loaded those pups on- no telling where they came from/
I didn't say "no".

cohutt
08-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorted the haul tonight. Everything would dent when clinked with a ww ingot except the babbitt thing-
No proof marks of any type. Any ideas what it is? It is lighter than lead by a noticeable amount.

The big stuff:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/leadaugust2007003.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/leadaugust2007002.jpg

Plus, always good to get a garbage can full of pure pucnhed sheet lead that is almost too heavy to drag. :-D :-D

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/leadaugust2007001.jpg

armoredman
08-13-2007, 10:08 PM
SWEET! Kin Ah have sum?

Goatlips
08-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Lordy Cohutt, when I glanced at your first picture I thought for a second that you'd somehow bagged Spongebob Squarepants! :mrgreen: Nice haul!

Goatlips

cohutt
08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Lordy Cohutt, when I glanced at your first picture I thought for a second that you'd somehow bagged Spongebob Squarepants! :mrgreen: Nice haul!

Goatlips

I see what you mean now. Kitty litter bins collected at work for ingot and brass storage.

blysmelter
08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Checked my local scrapdealer today, had a 55gal barrel of ww, sadly it was a mix of Pb, Zn and Fe. Sorted out 30kgs of lead ones, coudnt afford more, that is SWMBO was around. But I will go back for more.
Also spotted a barrel full of lead sheets, guess I will take most of that, does big BP-boolitmolds need a steady supply.

quasi
08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
How are you going to smelt down those big ingots into more manageable sizes?

cohutt
08-15-2007, 06:18 AM
How are you going to smelt down those big ingots into more manageable sizes?
Yeah once i stopped gloating about the score i started wondering that myself.

I have a 22 quart cast iron dutch oven that i think will work. With an in or two of melt in them, there should be enough weight to keep the pot from tipping with one of the whoppers in it at an angle. I figure it will slide in as the melt eats it from the lower end up.
I haven't measured and will do a cold dry run to make sure it is stable before i do anything for sure.

Alternative would be to drill hole for i bolt and stabilize it with a chain or cable, ease into the melt that way. Saw some pics posted in another forum where a boat keel was smelted down this way- shaped like a torpedo. BigSlick was involved, he posts here some too.

I have plenty of pure already in ingots so there is no hurry to get these processed. Right now they are stacked on a pallet on the floor of my casting hole and there they will probably stay for now. One thing is for sure - I won't be moving those ******** around any more than i have to-

nelsonted1
08-16-2007, 12:59 AM
You can cut that lead up with a chainsaw you know. Oops, shouldn't put stuff like that to paper- someone may take me seriously. My partner in KY home repoing did a home that a freshly dead deer was cut up inside using a chain saw. After that we decided chainsaws were the answers for anything!

medic44
08-16-2007, 02:15 AM
A saws all works great

cohutt
08-16-2007, 06:47 AM
You can cut that lead up with a chainsaw you know. Oops, shouldn't put stuff like that to paper- someone may take me seriously. My partner in KY home repoing did a home that a freshly dead deer was cut up inside using a chain saw. After that we decided chainsaws were the answers for anything!

I think I saw you guys in the movies once - something about Texas and chainsaws maybe?

http://heim.etherweave.com/weblog/archives/chainsaw-thumb.jpg

MT Gianni
08-16-2007, 08:32 AM

It's still the standard way to get a frozen, late season elk into packable pieces and out of the woods.

Maineboy
08-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Moose poachers up here cut 'em up with chainsaws using vegetable oil as bar lube.

nelsonted1
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
But not fresh, bloody deer inside the house! Blood and hair was all over the walls and floor. Bottle flies in the poor guys face. I can't remember what the dealer did with the home when he freshened it up for resale. Think of the blood on the cutter guy!

snuffy
08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
If those big ingots aren't too thick, then a common skill saw will do a great job of cutting them. The blade has to go clear through to the bottom, or you'll get it jammed in the cut.

That's what I used to cut these up so I could get them in a 6 quart dutch oven.
http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/terrysoops/websize/P2130004.JPG
Be sure to lay down some cardboard or a drop cloth to catch the shavings, oh and the shavings hurt when hitting skin!:shock:

Typecaster
08-16-2007, 01:38 PM
The chain and hoist works great--it's exactly how the alloy was fed into a Linotype machine lead pot. If you ever see a linotype ingot and wonder what the funny little "horns" on the end are about, that's the slot that the chain locked into. I should probably post a photo...

My smelting setup is under a section of scaffolding. It was easy to rig a roof, and the steel frame has lots of cross members that serve as a lumber/pipe/bar stock rack. I have an old Yale chain hoist that I hang above the turkey fryer when I need to smelt linotype or big chunks of pure. Awkward chunks of pure get a lag-threaded eyebolt to hook onto. The chain hoist gives complete control...I wouldn't want to try this trick with a cable come-along.

Actually, I don't often need to work with linotype ingots. They're 22-25 lb, so one goes a long way. Since they're so distinctive, there's no mistaking what they are. I just leave 'em as they are--easy to stack, and make handy weights.

snowtigger
08-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Moose poachers up here cut 'em up with chainsaws using vegetable oil as bar lube.

When cutting moose with a chainsaw, you don't need ANY lube. The fat on the meat is enough.
I use the same saw for firewood, moose cutting and winching. Space in the boat is at a premium. No oil. we don't cut enough wood to hurt the bar or the chain. Just cool it in river water....

cohutt
08-18-2007, 10:25 PM
If those big ingots aren't too thick, then a common skill saw will do a great job of cutting them. The blade has to go clear through to the bottom, or you'll get it jammed in the cut.

That's what I used to cut these up so I could get them in a 6 quart dutch oven.
http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/terrysoops/websize/P2130004.JPG
Be sure to lay down some cardboard or a drop cloth to catch the shavings, oh and the shavings hurt when hitting skin!:shock:

They are 4-5 inches thick, so a skil saw would be out.

I think the 22qt dutch ovenr would accomodate them but for now i'll leave them as is for convenient storage. It will be months/years before i work through all the pure I already have in ingots ready to go.

madcaster
08-19-2007, 07:40 AM
looks like you can skip strenth training for a few days now!LOL!

tanstafl10
08-19-2007, 08:10 AM
just for kicks--- hope the photos posted look in foreground for linotype 'pig' being fed into pot---- second photo shows their stock

please ignore ugly person at the typing seat!!!

tanstafl10
08-19-2007, 08:15 AM
be patient, 1st time I have tried posting pics

ced257
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
I am very new to this type of thing, and this is my first post so I hope I don't step on any toes. Have you thought about using a sawzall with a good metal blade to cut this up? I am a carpenter so my answer to destruction of something is a sawzall, big hammer and a pry bar.
When I say new, I just smelted my first 150 lbs. of WW into castable ingots 2 nights ago :-D ! I am loving this, now if can just get all my moulds.

cohutt
08-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I am very new to this type of thing, and this is my first post so I hope I don't step on any toes. Have you thought about using a sawzall with a good metal blade to cut this up? I am a carpenter so my answer to destruction of something is a sawzall, big hammer and a pry bar.
When I say new, I just smelted my first 150 lbs. of WW into castable ingots 2 nights ago :-D ! I am loving this, now if can just get all my moulds.

OUCH. MY TOES!!!!

Seriously, welcome to the forum- I am a long-time caster (NOT) having joined in Dec 2006 and casting my first bullets sometime in January.

This forum is among the best of any type I've ever come across. You have probably the most experienced bullet casters in the country eager to help you get started. Trolls are non-existent too which is refreshing.

I'm not a carpenter (actually a desk sitting phone talker) but i have all the tools due to my 136 year old home and 20 + years of renovation. The Milwaukee sawzall is ready and willing should it be called into service.

For now I'll leave them intact on the lead pallet in my casting hole for current admiration and future smelting, whenever needed.

3006guns
08-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I've seen those big ingots with the tabs before...at a boatyard. They were used for ballast in sailboats. Should be pretty close to pure lead. Nice score!:-D

madcaster
08-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey!That's how some good English FLINT made it to our shores!Used as ballast....

snuffy
08-19-2007, 04:27 PM

The problem with any reciprocal saw, or for that matter a bandsaw is the lead tends to cut "gummy" meaning it clings to the blade, it will "gum up", jamming the blade in the cut.

They are 4-5 inches thick, so a skil saw would be out.

That's too bad, unless you could find a big OLD table saw with a 12" blade![smilie=1: