PDA

View Full Version : Ptrd?

Lucky
08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Is it in the realm of possibility that a bullet could be cast for a 14.5mm rifle? From what I've seen a PTRD costing a grand and a half would eat up it's own cost in ammunition very quickly.

All just theoretical though!

Oldfeller
08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
a 50 caliber club did a design and a group buy from Doug at LEE -- Doug hand cut the single cavity mold extrusion for the extra long 560 grain spitzer bullet. LEE can do it, but expect to pay for the extra "extras".

Oldfeller

Buckshot
08-05-2005, 03:38 AM
............The larger the slug is, the easier it is to machine the cavity. Bigger boring bars = less deflection and chatter. Chips clear easier and it's lots easier to get lube in where the action is.

............Buckshot

Jumptrap
08-05-2005, 01:42 PM
PTRD?

Does this stand for Pig Turd rifle?

Lucky
08-05-2005, 03:58 PM
As I recall it means Big F'ing rifle- Degtyarev. There's also a Big F'ing Rifle- Simonov. The D is single shot, the S has a magazine, the D is more reliable. Russian WW2 anti-tank weapons. Definately something that will only increase in value through the ages.

I've done some research, as one must when considering starting a savings plan for a long term investment, and ammunition can be had from South Africa for 'reasonable' amounts, though this is just a guy saying he has a friend there who could definately do better than $30 per cartridge. I've also found ball bullets for $7 each.

Like I say this is just basic preliminary stuff, so I'm trying to learn if a cast bullet could survive being fired? AIUI the powder for these rifles is slower burning and perhaps less damaging to a bullet?

I've been eyeing these rifles since I saw one leaning against the wall when I went to firearms safety training...

7br
08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
14.5mm works out to be .57inches. As you are from calgary, this doesn't affect you, but I was under the impression that a center fire over .5inches is considered a distructive device in the U.S.

onceabull
08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Lucky: just for yucks I took a peek at NEI's online catalog: found their # 393,nominal .577.,900 gr plain base, and#394,nominal .584,850 gr ,"DD"style..order now, sure to be disc.if you wait while seeking the Rifle..Eh, Onceabull

Lucky
08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I know little about DD laws in the US, but I understood that one can get permits. Also I was shown this once :http://www.sskindustries.com/14.htm a 14.5mm hunting rifle with 100 yd accuracy of .3-.5 moa!

http://www.sskindustries.com/14.5%20page/1402.jpg

And thanks for the tip on the .577, I never thought to convert to inches, and I have heard of the T-Rex in that calibre before. That makes things easier!

Personally I think that $1500 for a PTRD is excessive, and I have a good hunch based on past information that if you got one from Europe it would likely cost half that.

Truthfully I'm not picky, and would take a .50 or .408 or .338 or any large bore rifle in a heartbeat, but the PTRDs seem most likely that I could afford to buy the rifle. (I discovered an 800 & 900m range, and have strong desires to join!)

Linstrum
08-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey there, Lucky, how ya doin?

PTRD stands for "PETARD", in medieval times a large mortar-like device fastened to the end of a long pole used to breach fortress walls or doors with little risk to the users of getting boiling oil poured on them while doing it. The word comes from the same root as "pecker", "peter", etc.

Reloading for the PETER, err, PTRD would not be that difficult if you got the .577 caliber boolit and some PTRD brass for it. I don't know about shipping powder from the U.S. to Canada, but Dan at Hi-Tech

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

has powder and primers that would probably work just fine, either WC860 or WC872 would probably do it, the WC860 is for .50 Browning and the WC872 is for 20mm Vulcan cannon. The CCI #35 .50 call primers will work, and if too small for the PTRD primer pocket they could be shimmed with heavy cotton percail cloth (the stuff used for bed sheets) without danger of blowing out. The other alternative is to silver solder up the primer pockets and rebore them. I read that the few 20mm shooters around use the #35 CCI primers in the slightly larger pocket of the 20mm brass with cotton cloth gasket/shimming. Since you would be reloading for only one gun then you would not need to resize brass and your cases would last dozens of reload cycles. It would not be that hard if you got the rifle!

Maven
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Linstrum's right about "petard" and "peter" (no, not what you're thinking!) having the same root, but my Amer. Heritage Dictionary of the Eng. Lang., 3rd Ed. defines petard thusly: 1. A small bell-shaped bomb used to breach a gate or wall. 2. A loud firecracker. [French "petard" from Old French "peter," to break wind from "pet," a breaking of wind, from Latin "peditum, from neuter past participle of pedere, to break wind]....p.1354 Some of you may remember the phrase "hoist by his own petard" from Shakespeare (Hamlet?), i.e., lifted by his own gas.

Lucky
08-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Heh, a petard, based on its design it wouldn't even be regulated:) Hmm...

I was thinking more along these lines... http://www.marstar.ca/images/rifles/PTRD-41-02.jpgHowever it seems that the asking prices really are quite inflated, for old old surplus which most likey is covered in cosmoline... And it would be very difficult to justify a $1500 ptrd when M14s can be had for $400...

I have been trading addresses with other international shoppers, and for instance one can buy a fully-functinoal DShK HMG with armour shield and wheeled mount for $1850 US. Contact with the company is slow, but possible. And import laws only affect prohibited items (like DShK :wink: ) and handguns. Other stuff you just pay the 7% national tax on, and perhaps unforeseen shipping duties owed. Thus I have to assume other old Soviet items are equally inexpensive. Ironically new items are as pricey in the Czech republic as anywhere else, prices are all equal or slightly higher, except for Soviet surplus which I would estimate to be a fraction of it's real value!
http://czhermex.cz/data/foto/DShK%20%20127mm.jpg