PDA

View Full Version : Inverting mold before dropping boolits: did I miss something in stickies?

DrCaveman
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Just for kicks, I tried inverting my lee 200 gr 30 cal mold before opening the handles.

Boolits dropped like they were greased!

So I found a very convenient excuse to test 3 other molds, including another lee 2-cav, a lee 6-cav, and a Lyman 2-cav. Each one dropped considerably better when I inverted them prior to opening the handles.

Most noticeable was the Lyman 358430. Those things hit the towel with gusto, nearly got scuffed by the mold as they fell so quick.

Why haven't I tried this before? How many of you employ this practice? Does its benefits depend on the mold being used (and shape of boolit)?

I can't believe such a simple trick was not mentioned in any casting books I have nor stated as a superior technique somewhere on this forum.

Well, my whacking stick is gathering dust. Opening sprue with thumb (suggestion from here, indeed) and simply shaking the mold is all that is needed for me now.

Oh yeah, except the 358430 and a 358429, all my molds are lee, mostly 2-cav.

Anyone else tried this with success?

Beagle333
03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I always invert, but then... I learned on HP molds and it was mandatory. It's just my style now, so I always flip it over.:mrgreen:

SciFiJim
03-07-2013, 01:19 AM
I had to think about it, but yes, I invert my molds to drop the boolits. I don't know why I started using that technique, just the way I do it.

I am glad you found a technique that works well for you!

Coffeecup
03-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Some moulds yes, some moulds no. I guess I just do whatever works.

rintinglen
03-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Some moulds yes, some moulds no. I guess I just do whatever works.
A very big plus one.
The thing I find is that what works today, doesn't always work tomorrow. I open the HP molds upside down, and have tried it with some other molds, didn't generally seem to make much difference. But I'm very happy for the Doc. It is one of the pleasures of the hobby when you make one of those serendipitous discoveries. I remember when I discovered that off centering the pour of the melt made my 311-465's fill out. I felt as though I'd hit the lottery. Cheap thrills, perhaps, but thrills none the less.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
I found that a few of mine drop better upside down. Still beyond me how a inanimate piece
of metal can have a personality, but they're still easier to figger out than women folk

beagle
03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Each mould is an individual and wants something different. Whatever works for easy casting.

I had one mould that required me to tilt it about 30 degrees to the right in order for it to fill out.

Make notes on each mould and save for future reference and it will casting easier./beagle

Case Stuffer
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Note when molds open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3OqRrPvzTY

and now a hand caster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sMXtwOqc1NY

telebasher
03-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Each mould is an individual and wants something different. Whatever works for easy casting.

I had one mould that required me to tilt it about 30 degrees to the right in order for it to fill out.

Make notes on each mould and save for future reference and it will casting easier./beagle

Thats the downside of having alot of moulds, but experience will get you into the right rythym in no time. But keeping records is a good idea too!

selmerfan
03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Hmm, never thought about inverting the mold. Now I better fire up the pot sometime soon and give it a try!

sljacob
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
I started inverting when I bought my first hollow point mold, it is just habbit now with all my molds

Shuz
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM

I find that whispering "sweet nothings" down the sprue hole whilst checking all the mould screws helps also!

jonk
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I never tried it, but it makes sense; the thinner, tapered part of the bullet without bands should fall out easier than the fat, ridged bottom half, and pull the bottom half with it.

Walter Laich
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I'll give it a try, too--never thought about it before.

kartooo
03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
always with my lyman and ideal molds

DrCaveman
03-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Okay, I spoke too soon in calling inverting a 'superior technique'. It seems to be as people are saying: some molds like it, others don't care, and others don't like it.

Case in point: I ran my lee 452-200 swc inverted for about 15 pours. Then kinda spaced out and dropped a few sprue-up. Boolits fell without even shaking the mold. Ran the 457-405 and it was dead even whether I inverted or not. Probably the rest of my molds will be as unpredictable.

And, my whacking stick has lost its dust and regained its regal position next to furnace. Plenty of these molds still need a little tap beyond that which my knuckles provide. But it is getting used a lot less than it used to.

I hope my findings help some of you conquer some sticky molds.

Hondo 60
03-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Cast my 1st boolits 2 weeks ago, I guess it just made sense to dump em upside down. ;)

Lance Boyle
03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
This is such a great idea I am doing everything upside down, mold fill out is a little rough though.

:kidding:

Hardcast416taylor
03-09-2013, 10:41 AM
With some of my molds from NOE, BRP, Richard Doughty, Saeco and a few others it doesn`t matter which way I`m holding the mold as the boolets just fall out. On the other hand molds like Lyman (of recent making), some Rcbs, Rapine, LEE and others I haven`t used in awhile They require a learning experience on how to best position the mold to get the boolet to come out.Robert

rintinglen
03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Just for grins and giggles, I gave this upside down thing a run through the other day. Results, MEH.

I tried an NOE 311-440 2 cavity Brass, an H&G 50 iron 4 cavity, an RCBS 32-98 WC 2 cavity, and a Lyman 452-374/452-423 combination 2 cavity. Neither WC cared much one way, or the other, the NOE seemed to work better upside down by a slight margin and the Lyman ran slightly better upright.

I do know that my Mihec HP molds work much better upside down.;)

white eagle
03-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I always invert, but then... I learned on HP molds and it was mandatory. It's just my style now, so I always flip it over.:mrgreen:
same here been doing it that way since day one