PDA

View Full Version : Watch out at the range !

edler7
03-06-2013, 09:31 PM
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/21470336/ammunition-shortage-leads-to-potentially-dangerous-new-trend

I'm certainly going to be more careful...

*no tag sarcastic enough to post*

willie_pete
03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Oh great! Now something else to worry about at the range; people using reloads. :roll:

WP

500MAG
03-06-2013, 10:01 PM
How can I get some of those used cases? I want to pack them with gun powder.

Bill*
03-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Must be true...not like the ranges have any stake in it like selling ammo. :coffee:

Area Man
03-06-2013, 10:07 PM
If our reloading technique is as poor as their grammar were all going to die.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Another avenue that they are out to get us on. This fight is going to be quite a long one. Articles like that one will just increase the demand for reloading equip.
I should have bought some stock in the gun and ammo industries when this first started. Obama is quite a salesman.

500MAG
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
The more I think about this, the more angry I get. We know the deal with the range and selling Ammo. Most good ranges sell reloads and allow us to shoot ours. The $&@+# media is doing anything they can to screw it to us. All of us should click the email link on that story to school that idiot reporter.

cbrick
03-06-2013, 10:18 PM
How about that, a dangerous new trend . . . reloads.

Just shows how very little NBC knows about the firearms they have been trying to get banned. Problem is the cool aid drinkers don't know any better either and will now get their panties all twisted in a knot over handloading.

Rick

Finster101
03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Why you guys keep picking on my town?

edler7
03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Problem is the cool aid drinkers don't know any better either and will now get their panties all twisted in a knot over handloading.

That kool-aid must be some powerful stuff, cause the people that drink it don't seem to be nearly as upset as those of us who don't drink it. That being said, please don't drink the kool-aid while reloading or shooting firearms.

I couldn't believe what I was reading. I'm willing to bet that reporter has ZERO firearms experience.

wallenba
03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Seriuosly though guys...there's a lot of newbies forced to reload. Some of those, statistically, will be individuals that are not up to the task, or don't take the time to learn correctly. How does this affect us? If enough of them create a big enough problem, the companies that insure ranges will mandate permanent changes. Since there is no way for us to prove our experience level or knowledge we will be banned too. And don't think that the ammo manufactures won't get on board to ban us too.

Cactus Farmer
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
One of the good things about living out in the sticks is I have my own 100 yard shooting range and my southern neighbor has out to 600 yards.
I quit the local range because of increasing cost and the bozo range/safety officers.

Heavy lead
03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Is is mor...............ons, or mo...................rons?

josleynrm
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
I expect there will be some push to regulate, restrict, monitor etc people who reload. All for the safety of the public of course. :?

edler7
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I lost all my reloading stuff in that same tragic boating accident where I lost all my guns.

Abenaki
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
We interrupt this program to bring you the latest news!!!!!!!!
Eating is dangerous! Yes eating is dangerous!!!!! Thousands of people choke to death every year from eating!

Abenaki

Hyphenated
03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Wonder how much they paid the guy working in the gun shop to go along with their story line. I'm just saying....

Sven
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Well, whatever you do, don't tell him there are actually people who make their own boolets, too! :roll:

runfiverun
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
man that sucks.
it's too bad they can KMA.
nice picture of the ar's though, i wonder what they had to do with the article.

Blacksmith
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I expect there will be some push to regulate, restrict, monitor etc people who reload. All for the safety of the public of course. :?

Tin Foil Hat Needed before reading further.
This is the start of a push to control reloading. Add to the gun registration and control and ammunition restrictions the next step is to stop home made ammo. Restrictions on making ammo will be because it is dangerous, first it will be to the user then it will to bystanders and then to neighbors. Don't expect this fight to be easy with the media and politicians against you it will be a replay of gun control.

If you have a gun or can make one you aren't dangerous if you can't feed it. It is all about control folks!

429421Cowboy
03-07-2013, 12:11 AM
@(*##(! Reloading is dangerous! Anybody wanna buy my gear and supplies, I obviously can't be trusted to pack gunpowder!

Just shows you what people will go along with anything without the facts.
Case in point, my Chem teacher yesterday was telling the class that a survey was done explaining to people that Dihydrogen Oxide kills thousands of people in the world each year yet remains a totally unregulated compound, do you think we should ban it? The vast majority of people said "YES, that is awful, we should do something about this!" till it was explained to them that Dihydrogen Oxide is H2O, WATER! Give something a dangerous name, then tell it to people with no additional facts, and guess what, you don't wonder why people vote the way they do anymore!

Kull
03-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Whole lot of fail going on in that article.

Love Life
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
429421 Cowboy- I really can't explain how much your story scares me. Really.

429421Cowboy
03-07-2013, 12:30 AM
429421 Cowboy- I really can't explain how much your story scares me. Really.

.... I take you aren't going to sign the petition to end packing gunpowder and ban water?

Swamp Man
03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
I haven't even bought my reloading gear and supplies and already their braking up my ***. Tractors kill and harm people everyday so should all us farmers stop growing food for the public markets?

dhaid-06
03-07-2013, 12:35 AM
When reading reports like this, am I the only one who pictures these reporters doing a similar story other activities that we all understand the risks of and accept those to partake in the event? Driving for example:

"Today we see thousands of people driving vehicles weighing thousands of pounds down stretches of roads barely wide enough for two of these machines, in opposite directions mind you, at speeds of thousands of feet per minute. The only thing protecting these drivers is a thin belt of nylon. Not only are these vehicles heavy and fast, they are powered by a giant tank of explosive liquid capable of burning down entire neighborhoods.'

Maybe it's just me.

Recluse
03-07-2013, 01:19 AM
South Florida shooters, this one is in your hands. Fowler Firearms has turned their back on you as have others, apparently, according to the report.

We had an ammo dealer in the Houston area try for his fifteen minutes of Andy Warhol when he gave a radio interview supporting a ban on online ammunition sales after the Aurora shooting.

We've damn near shut his *** completely down by publicizing him and boycotting relentlessly.

I'd start with Fowler. Boycott them, picket them, send e-mails to every shooting and hunting group in the lower third of Florida.

If these pricks want a war, then I'm all about giving them a war they won't believe.

You locals down there need to take out your trash and carry it to the Chapter 7 rubbish pile.

:coffee:

wallenba
03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
South Florida shooters, this one is in your hands. Fowler Firearms has turned their back on you as have others, apparently, according to the report.

We had an ammo dealer in the Houston area try for his fifteen minutes of Andy Warhol when he gave a radio interview supporting a ban on online ammunition sales after the Aurora shooting.

We've damn near shut his *** completely down by publicizing him and boycotting relentlessly.

I'd start with Fowler. Boycott them, picket them, send e-mails to every shooting and hunting group in the lower third of Florida.

If these pricks want a war, then I'm all about giving them a war they won't believe.

You locals down there need to take out your trash and carry it to the Chapter 7 rubbish pile.

I see you are feeling better...back to normal.:kidding:

Swamp Man
03-07-2013, 02:43 AM

:coffee: I agree. I have a Fl thread started I'll post a link on the thread and have the guys check this out. I'm in north central Fl. but we have some on here from south Fl. that need to know about this.

facetious
03-07-2013, 06:07 AM
I work with a guy who never shot a gun be for . Takes the classes to get a carry permit ,rents a gun to do the shooting part and gets his permit. In the safety class he said the NRA instructor told them to never shoot reloads or try to load your own or your gun will blow up and could kill you.
So now I have been loading .357 and .38s for over 30 years and I have to listen to him tell me I am a fool to be reloading my own ammo. Indoor ranges that I have looked into will not let you have reloads unless you buy them from them. And you can bet there not the best .
You would think a instructor from the NRA would have told them that if thy want to reload that thy have classes for that too. The places that make the stuff for reloading spend a lot of money advertising in the NRA magazines . You would think thy would want the NRA to get more people in to reloading as a hobby.
I know safety is a big thing and I have no way of knowing if you are a safe reloader any more then you have of knowing if I am, but after all these years I kind of find it insulting to see and hear stuff like that. Most guys that have been reloading for a long time can tell pretty quick when talking to some one if thy know what thy are talking about and stay clear of them or help them if thy are open to it. I guess I just get tired of people that know little or nothing about shooting and reloading thinking that you must be some kind of nut case sitting in your basement "loading bullets" and making bombs. I have quite talking about it at work any more. If you say something about loading a few hundred rounds the first thing you hear is "how many people are you going to shoot and what day thy should call in sick".
That is why I started to follow this and some other web sites so I could have something where you can talk with others who know what thy are talking about with out having to listen to some **** from some ignorant SOB who knows every thing there is to know about things thy have never done . End of rant.

oldred
03-07-2013, 07:34 AM
What? People are taking used cases and actually reloading powder and bullets into them? Wow, imagine that, just how stoopid can people be?:veryconfu Just think about what can happen, why the GRIP can actually blow up right where you are holding the gun! Don't believe me? The "Experts" are plainly telling us about this new hazard so please everyone heed the warning!

Good grief now with this new trend people are resorting to refilling old used cartridge casings with GUN POWDER of all things and are actually attempting to shoot those things! Wow, what will people try next!

uscra112
03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Ranges have one agenda, which is selling ammo.

There's another factor, and that's their liability insurance.

Thank tort lawyers and the Government they bought.

glw
03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
I sent an email message to the author of the article. I told him that he should have at least talked with some reloaders and companies like Georgia Arms who make reloaded ammunition. I told him that people have been reloading since the 1800s, and that thousands of competitors, hunters, and even police officers shoot reloads every day. I also complained that his article was not an "investigative" article, but merely an opinion piece that isn't up to the standards of a high school research paper.

Glenn

oldred
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
I sent an email message to the author of the article. I told him that he should have at least talked with some reloaders and companies like Georgia Arms who make reloaded ammunition. I told him that people have been reloading since the 1800s, and that thousands of competitors, hunters, and even police officers shoot reloads every day. I also complained that his article was not an "investigative" article, but merely an opinion piece that isn't up to the standards of a high school research paper.

Glenn

Now that was a darn good idea and I am going to do the same, in fact if we could get everyone here to do that it just might make an impression on these idiots!

Charlie Two Tracks
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
facetious, I know what you mean. When the guys at work found out about me reloading they thought it was crazy! I got all kinds of hassle about having hundreds of rounds loaded up and stored.( little did they know it was thousands) Was I expecting a war or something? The sad thing is, they were all, all vets of varying ages. Illinois has brain washed the majority of people about guns. They are to be used for hunting (that's what the 2nd Amendment is ya know) and since there is little land to hunt on, there is really no reason to have anything more than a shotgun, maybe.

marshall623
03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Is is mor...............ons, or mo...................rons?
It depends where you are from, the 2 can also describe the level of stupidity one would be referring 2 :mrgreen:
All jokes aside the amount of reloading equipment that has left the shelves I can see a lot more newbies having a go at it. That's not a problem if they take the time to learn safe habits and practices

phaessler
03-07-2013, 08:58 AM

+1 for Recluse, let the traitor starve ! I am sure Fowler isnt gouging on prices and supporting the Firearms Enthusiast in fulfilling their sporting passion, ya right, my @$$ too. Boycott is a nice word, would be more like protest and starve him of his lively hood. Its a shame when the misinformed can lead and control the masses, but I fear its a trend.

phaessler
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I agree Marshall623, its amazing how many newbies are out there, and with such a shortage of equipment I can only hope there is a shortage of teaching literature,manuals, and handbooks. I wonder if the online reloading resources are seeing an increase in traffic?
Among other things there is probably a market for "reloading Training", I havent seen anyone offer it in a while, again due to the legal cessepool for which it has been thrown too.... pity, could be a great way to fortify some of the gun rights groups fortitude in the uncertain time.

metalbender
03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Holy ****. I just bought 1 k 9mm "factory" reloads at the range I belong to. They look normal but who knows for sure what danger lurks inside. Even come in once opened "Winchester" boxes. How can I safely dispose of them, other than putting them in a metal container and detonating them under controlled parameters, one at a time to insure rendering them totally harmless to life and limb?

cbrick
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
.... I take you aren't going to sign the petition to end packing gunpowder and ban water?

Petition? No, not for reloading buy hey, that nasty Dihydrogen Oxide has got to go. Get rid of every disgusting drop of the stuff.

Rick

oldred
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Holy ****. How can I safely dispose of them, ?

Why that's easy! Just send'm to me I will be more than happy to dispose of that junk for you and free of charge too! :mrgreen:

Case Stuffer
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
There are post here on this user's group of firearms blown up by reloads and a post stating that an NRA instructor advised against reloading or shooting reloads as they could blow up thier gun.

News desk anchors read tela prompters , even p[rinted stories where the reported researched and wrote the storym then someone proof read it and then an editor approved it and guess what they still contain errors sometimes many.

NSP64
03-07-2013, 09:46 AM
It is dangerous, not unlike driving a car, and we see how well people drive cars. I hope it scares everyone away from reloading, then the rest of us can get components .lol

metalbender
03-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the offer, but those nasty little items could be hazardous in transport. I have at my disposal an ordnance neutralizing device that has been used with success many times. It's relativley old technology in a newer design called a Kel Tec Sub 2k.

reloaderman
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
OMG ! How many times I have risked my life going to the range! I've never given it a thought when I "packed powder" into a used case.
It's amazing how some people who know nothing about a subject can spout off about something!

Kull
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Last time I purchased any factory ammo it was Winchester white box. There where two rounds that were seriously messed up, not like the factory don't make mistakes.

TheGrimReaper
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
So, because of the ammo shortage.....people just now started to reload, I mean re-pack there cases with gunpowder????

Case Stuffer
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
It sure seems like a lot of new reloaders have been created by the shortage otherwise why would all brands of reloading equipment now be on 2 to 4 months back order.

I have misplaced my Lee .452 tumble lube sizer and non are to be found. I considered purchasing a new progressive press as my two current ones are long outof production and parts are extremly difficult to come by and I no longer have a complete machine shop at my disposal to make anything I need.

Desperate times call for desperiate measures. I found my .357 Lee sizer but not the push rod so I am using a RCBS 9MM caseholder with a section of 5/16 " wodden dowel glued in the case with JB Weld.

shdwlkr
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
they are trying to create fear of anyone who has a firearm nothing more or less.
Will they begin to push for controls on reloading stuff you had better believe that they are going too.
As to using only factory made stuff haven't they had issues with loaded ammo? think recalls seems they want you to believe that if a factory doesn't make it and you can't walk into your LGS and buy it then it is going to blow up if you attempt to make your own.
Now the rest of the story is in the wings
"While at the range today several shooters were harmed by reloaded ammunition being used by these shooters another reason to never trust you know how to do this at home" More to follow when pictures are available

RPRNY
03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
My email to NBC2 on the "story":

Re. "Reloaded Ammo a Dangerous Trend", by Dave Elias, March 4, 2013

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/21470336/ammunition-shortage-leads-to-potentially-dangerous-new-trend

The piece was labeled NBC2 Investigators, which is at least misleading and potentially fraudulent as clearly there was no "investigation" whatsoever done on the subject. If Mr Elias is in the employ of one or more shooting range operators, a principle source of income for whom is the sale of factory ammunition at considerable margin, then should not this advertorial be labeled as such? How would the FCC find?

I quote Mr Elias from his story: "...reloaded ammunition can be dangerous". As opposed to other forms of ammunition which are free of risk? This piece is a disgrace to journalists and journalism. There was no investigation. A simple Google search would have revealed the extensive resources available to reloaders of ammunition, including a wide range of components (brass cases, powders, primers, and bullets) manufactured and sold expressly for this purpose by ammunition makers, many of whom also have extensive lines of reloading equipment and that publish annual volumes dedicated to the safe reloading of ammunition using factory tested and validated data (adherence to which is advised strenuously in any communication, commercial or private, on the subject). Hornady's website section on Reloading: http://www.hornady.com/reloading

And a passage from one of the nation's largest ammunition manufacturers (see link above):

"STAY LOADED: Reloading provides the ability for shooters to customize loads for individual firearms; it’s an excellent past time, and often offsets much of the cost of shooting by reusing the most expensive component of ammunition – the cartridge case. Not only do handloaders maintain control of the ammunition assembling process, but there’s an overwhelming feeling of self satisfaction when you knock over that plate, hammer the X ring or drop that buck of a lifetime with ammunition that you handloaded."

Whether Mr. Elias is shilling for the Fowler Firearms which he so prominently advertised in his piece or is simply incapable of doing the most basic of investigations, the report is a problem for your station. The story was not only flawed and misleading but, seeing as it will have negative commercial impact on those selling reloading equipment, components for reloading, and reloaded ammunition while promoting the specific business interests of Fowler Firearms, it may also be libelous. It would behoove NBC2 to provide a correction to this poor and misleading piece of "journalism".

Regards,

gray wolf
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
These news Asss holesss are nothing more than script readers, ( just doing there job ??)
They don't say anything that's not Pr-approved. This is just more of the same crapp to brain wash the public. I believe this is the biggest grab the gun effort to hit gun owners, and now re-loaders.
They don't want a piece, they want it ALL.
I listened with my own ears while Eric Holder gave a speech in which he stated;
We must BRAIN WASH the children ( his exact words ) Into believing guns are bad, just like we did with cigarettes. It went on a little longer. I listened to this puke say this with my own two ears. What the helll more does anyone need to know ?
other than they want the firearms from the people, The Constitution means NOTHING to them
and unfortunately it means less to many people.

garym1a2
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
You guys work in the wrong place. When some of my co-workers found out I was casting bullets one day about 10 lbs of old swerpipe vents showed up on my desk. Another day a 200 pound bucket of Tin/lead solder showed up, guy was just making sinkers out of them.

facetious, I know what you mean. When the guys at work found out about me reloading they thought it was crazy! I got all kinds of hassle about having hundreds of rounds loaded up and stored.( little did they know it was thousands) Was I expecting a war or something? The sad thing is, they were all, all vets of varying ages. Illinois has brain washed the majority of people about guns. They are to be used for hunting (that's what the 2nd Amendment is ya know) and since there is little land to hunt on, there is really no reason to have anything more than a shotgun, maybe.

edler7
03-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Fellows, we got a looooooooooong row to hoe if this kind of stuff gets any traction.

It needs to be nipped in the bud, everywhere ! I'm sure I'm not the first to think this or say it....if it comes down to only factory ammo being available, then somebody other than yourself has their hand on your supply, and de facto control of your shooting.

Stock your supplies up when the panic goes away (and I think it will).

Did anybody else see the news about having to take a mandatory Anger Management class in Florida to buy ammo ???

Swamp Man
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Fellows, we got a looooooooooong row to hoe if this kind of stuff gets any traction.

It needs to be nipped in the bud, everywhere ! I'm sure I'm not the first to think this or say it....if it comes down to only factory ammo being available, then somebody other than yourself has their hand on your supply, and de facto control of your shooting.

Stock your supplies up when the panic goes away (and I think it will).

Did anybody else see the news about having to take a mandatory Anger Management class in Florida to buy ammo ???
Yes I seen that A.M.C. BS. When this ammo rush dies down I plane on buy a lifetime supply of powder,primers,cases,presses for everything I shoot.

dudits
03-07-2013, 02:53 PM
oh no, reloading is dangerous?
darnit i gonna have to sell all my gear right after i sell my guns :)

opos
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I lost all my reloading stuff in that same tragic boating accident where I lost all my guns.

I had a similar experience with my guns and reloading stuff but mine was all destroyed in a government program called "Lost and Curious"...think it all went to Mexico.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
If they get it so that you can only shoot factory ammo, they can make it so the factory ammo has a two foot arch getting to the 25yd target.

shooterg
03-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm glad that factory ammo is so reliable that none has ever been recalled - LOL

Many years ago a bud that was a Major in the Army at the time was stationed in Germany. He was fortunate enough to become acquainted with some well to do landowners/hunters and actually did much shooting while stationed there. Pretty strict requirements/test to be allowed to hunt. He also had to take a test(in metric units) before being allowed to reload. I expect the libtards to push this sooner or later here.

jeepyj
03-07-2013, 11:25 PM
And just think his title is a NBC2 Investigator who did he interview? Disturbing, no other way to put it.
Jeepyj

TXGunNut
03-08-2013, 09:41 PM
This clown some have referred to as a reporter or sillier yet, "investigator" is nothing more than a common air thief. The very idea that reloading is a new and dangerous threat is silly to me but it seems more than a few other air thiefs found their way to the polls a few months ago. If they are alarmed when we "pack powder into used cases" wait until they find out what we do with old wheelweights.
Skip the petition, they love the attention. They are allowed to exercise 1A rights even if it endangers our 2A rights. Go for the money. Identify the sponsors and let them know how you feel about them using their hard earned money to support emptyheaded journalism. Tell them you'll spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

2wheelDuke
03-09-2013, 07:38 AM
At least they didn't mention that police training mentions the "danger" of reloads as well. When I was in the academy, the instructors made it sound like any reload would turn your gun into a frag grenade and cause everything else around you to spontaneously explode. As a new recruit, I had to just bite my tongue.

In my department range, the remains of a K frame S&W are epoxied to a board, with a sign about the danger of "hot loaded" reloads.

My range master is a big 1911 fan, and after I showed of my .400 Cor-Bon conversion to him, he saw that my hand loads were safe and accurate.

I personally refuse to shoot at Bass Pro Shops even though it's my closest local range. The range prohibits reloads/hand loads, but the store sells reloading gear and components downstairs.

I'm on the other coast of Florida, so I'm not familiar with that range or news station. I'll be asking about this on Flaguns.com maybe somebody on the SW coast would have a little more insight, perhaps some selective editing was in use.

dakotashooter2
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM

There should be a push to regulate, restrict, monitor, etc. people who report the news.................

I also now a few people who shouldn't fill their own cars with gas.......................

FYI it's pretty easy to pick up a factory box and stick your reloads in them. No one is probably looking that close...................

cbrick
03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
There should be a push to regulate, restrict, monitor, etc. people who report the news............

And a license and a Constitutional test for anyone running for public office.

Rick

1Shirt
03-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Will admit I am more than a little concerned about the issue. Ran into two guys at the range this week, who had never loaded a round, but had bought all kinds of reloading equipment. One said he had spent over 5 grand since the election, and wanted advice on powder, etc. The other said he was not able to find dies for his 40S&W, and wanted to know the best powder for it etc.
Might turn out ok, but am not real anxious to be on a bench next to one of these guys. Much prefer the newbee that starts small and learns on the way up.
1Shirt!

country gent
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Like it or not there are way more new firearms owners shooters and soon to be reloaders now than at any time in the past. Saftey, Range etiqette and common sense will drop for several years till all these neew people are trained taught and brought up to speed. Its scary but also up to seasoned knowlegable shooters to educate these people. Think about it then when you see a new shooter strike up a conversation and offer pointers and information to them Lead them in the right direction. Take a little time from shooting and help make them safer shooters. I have seen several guns blown up 1 at Camp Perry during a state match ( slam fire) 2 from overloads ( portugese .308 mil surpluss ammo in the 80s) and one from a laser bore sighter left in the barrel, and a shotgun (where plug of mud in the bore was suspected). We need to get these people educated as fast as possible and as accuratly as possible for not only there saftey but ours as well. Reloding is a safe interesting hobby if done correctly and competently, If not then alot of various dangers do exist. How many have heard, the manuals maximums are starting points? I added a little extra powder in this batch to really make it work, I found a bunch of brass on the range today, My buddy gave me this load for his rifle for me to shoot. I reload check data in several manuals and pay alot of attention to what Im doing. I have used true handloaders ( Lyman 310 tools and Lee mallet dies) to current technology ( Dillon 650). Thown many gallon jugs of spent primers out ( my proggressives have the primer catchers modified to use a tube running under the bench to the gallon Jug saves empting those little Trays/cups) Pass your knowledge on to these people as best you can educate them. Almost all are looking for help and you will probably make a new friend in the process.

dakotashooter2
03-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Keep in mind that we ALL were new to reloading at one time. There is and always will be a learning curve. Still, I suspect fewer reloaders get injured than race car drivers..........................

JesterGrin_1
03-10-2013, 04:08 AM
Keep in mind that we ALL were new to reloading at one time. There is and always will be a learning curve. Still, I suspect fewer reloaders get injured than race car drivers..........................

And Maybe even Spectators.

RPRNY
03-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I have an FCC Complaint Number for my filing. We shall see if anything comes of it. I doubt very much that it will...

Silvercreek Farmer
03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Sure glad those reputable companies have never "packed" a defective round...

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/product-recall-556mm-m855.aspx

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice-Remington270-150Gr-SoftPoint.aspx

http://www.ballistics101.com/federal_ammo-recall.php

ihguy
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Where I work the shooting guys want to order progressive presses set up for each caliber they shoot , them having never loaded before I suggested they start with a single stage press,nope they are going for the fast method right off the bat,kinda like learning to drive in a viper,well I said I will visit you in the hospital because i see a accident in your future, oh well I tried :(

justing
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
evil evil used case re users

twotrees
04-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Must have been a Bad year for boating accidents.:veryconfu

popper
04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
And the billions of recyclable water bottles & trash bags. Recluse, who is that dealer?

edler7
04-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Must have been a Bad year for boating accidents.:veryconfu

The horror ! The HORROR !:shock:

Boyscout
04-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Not to mention that all of my mold and fishing weight packages say something like "Causes birth defects in California woman and kills California Condors" or something like that.

mpmarty
04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Ya know he may have a point there. Back in the olden days Buffalo hunters reloaded their ammo and we lost all the Buffalo. Must have been dangerous.

ddaniel1
04-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Where I work the shooting guys want to order progressive presses set up for each caliber they shoot , them having never loaded before I suggested they start with a single stage press,nope they are going for the fast method right off the bat,kinda like learning to drive in a viper,well I said I will visit you in the hospital because i see a accident in your future, oh well I tried :(

Yep, lots of first time reloaders over on the Dillon forums, not the best way to start.

freebullet
04-15-2013, 08:26 PM
My reloads make me feel safe, warm, & fuzzy. O no this boat is sinking also o no.

Curlymaple42
04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Yet, going progressive first is like me never riding a motorcycle and jumping on my dad in laws Harley Ultra Classic full dresser for lessons. Yikes...

HangFireW8
04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm going to write about another disturbing trend. Due to the economy, people are no longer eating at restaurants and are preparing food at home- including handling raw meat. Without proper training like restaurant employees get, someone is bound to get sick!

ddaniel1
04-15-2013, 10:05 PM
I will add that as many of that can should try to pass on the years of experience we have in real life, I have been tutoring my oldest son and his good friend, started them single stage so they understood each step thoroughly and then moved them up to the Dillon 650. All the new guys can help our hobby as well as hurt it, those that we can teach the proper methods will pay off big time. Hopefully many of them will find their way to this great forum.

Bzcraig
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
I'm thinking if we can get more press like this our craft will be protected from the growing numbers of crazed men carrying guns and needing ammo to put in those weapons of mass destruction that when left unloaded and unattended will go off killing an innocent bystander. But seriously, how many people saw this story and hung on every word? I would even bet money that many hunters/gun enthusiasts who don 't reload would have nodded their heads as well. We really are in a battle of wits with unarmed people. I try to refrain from sarcasm but at times it's the only coping mechanism that works for me.

Swamp Man
04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
I haven't started reloading yet due to shortages in the supply chain but I have already learned a lot from this site. However I will also being reading a few books before reloading my first shotshell as someone that's new to this game I know info is the key to staying safe. Once I get it down and feel comfortable I plan on helping a few younger guys with what I've learned as long as they are willing to put safety first.

Dorf
04-16-2013, 09:22 AM
It really is kinda amusing to read/hear the rants that the "uninformed" experts engage in when discussing reloading. I'm sure that the vast majority of them have never considered or even know what a muzzleloading firearm is or how it works. "Ignorance is bliss" -- let's keep 'em "blissful". :-) Hope this helps, Stan

Dorf
04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Also, as a point to consider--anybody here remember the dearth of reloading info and supplies that existed back in the early '50s? There wasn't a whole hellova lot available. Oh yes, Jack O'connor, Warren Page, Pete Brown wrote "gun Articles" in Outdoor Life, Field& Stream and Sports Afield that mentioned reloading and there was some info available in the American Rifleman but as a general source of info/supplies, not much. As a kid beginning to show some interest, all I could find was what showed in the Stogers "Shooters Bible" and that was somewhat limited. I did manage to find Phil Sharp's tome in the local library and ground my way through it as a highschool student. The paucity of info remained until the early '60s when the whole area expanded into what we've become accustomed to today. BIG change! What we're seeing now is a minor "speed bump" compared to what has passed and I expect it to blow over. The politicos will come up with some "feel good" legislation that will be totally unenforcable, thump their chests and tell the world how they've stopped the "menace" (whatever that may be) and go away-- untill the "next time". :-) Rant over! Start "flamin'" Stan

Geraldo
04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
If our reloading technique is as poor as their grammar were all going to die.

True. ;)

My hope is that new reloaders buy a couple of books and seek out some help from experienced people.

wills
04-16-2013, 10:07 AM

I'm certainly going to be more careful...

*no tag sarcastic enough to post*

Did they bother to learn powder and primers are as scarce as ammunition?

HangFireW8
04-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Also, as a point to consider--anybody here remember the dearth of reloading info and supplies that existed back in the early '50s?

I don't remember, but I've read about the component shortages of WWII and Korea. Owning a GI cartridge shooting gun and having connections inside was a big, big deal.

dakotashooter2
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
and when the factory ammo gets tapped out and shooters are no longer coming to the range, the ranges will be crying about going broke due to lack of shooters.