PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tried

turmech
03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Do any of you still try to correct the misconceptions people have when they find out your are shooting cast bullets? Many of you have be casting longer than me. I am however already tiring of explaining the truths to people who see me or know I shoot cast. I am starting to rather just let them think what they want and on the bright side there is more lead for me.

Statements like
You will get lead poisoned
You will lead the bore.(like even if so that’s the end of the world)
Some will say only for pistols.
If they agree for pistols only light loads.
Others rifles if you use lino.
Can't shoot in a gas operated semi auto.

I actually had a friend call me and ask if I new where he could get some 45 acp jacket bullets for a new colt 1911 he bought. I told him not jacketed but I would give him some lead bullets. He said he paid too much for the gun to ruin it. In the middle of correcting him I just said your probably right stay away from the lead.

03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
To paraphrase, don't confuse them with facts. Let them remain blissfully igorant.

Kraschenbirn
03-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Yep, heard every one of those lines more times that I care to recall. Not much you can do in most cases 'cept to let 'em slide right on by. Once in a while, though, you'll get someone who *asks* about those issues rather than telling you what he "knows" won't work. For those folks...rare as they may be...there is always some glimmer of hope. I've educated a few in the past and, since the since the current ammo crunch hit, it seems like I've been fielding at least one or two inquiries every time I go to the range.

Bill

blademasterii
03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I tell the scrap guy where i buy that if the lead is too soft for my handguns I know someone with a muzzleloader. :D He is a factory only shooter.

DLCTEX
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
I just say, you don't know what you're talking about. If they persist I tell them I do it all the time. If they want to persist, I'll tell them to put up some money and I'll show them. The older I get the less I suffer fools. Bad day today.
A few years ago I had a fellow proclaim you can't shoot lead without leading and he knew because he had shot lots of it in his 41 Mag. I told him I could and I knew plenty of people that shot lead without leading, he just shrugged. Let him keep leading.

wv109323
03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Like it has been said before: These people are allowed to vote.

runfiverun
03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
i just pull the bolt from my rifle and hand it to them.
and ask them to show me where the leadng is, my eyesight ain't so good, maybe that's why me last group was so poor.

btroj
03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Old wives tales die hard.
I don't believe them as I am not an old wife!

I don't try to change opinions, just easier to move on. I don't shoot to impress or please others, I do it for me.

Area Man
03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Much of that just comes from lack of exposure. I've held some of those misconceptions before. Often, not always, the possibility of a teaching experience is present.

turmech
03-06-2013, 10:28 PM
I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot at my own home. And the only other place I shoot is another friends family farm. At both those places not so many nay sayers. Most of my close friends don't cast but have shot my guns and my cast bullets in some of there guns. Most of the problems I have is with the casual encounter with another shooter with no way to prove what I am saying.

I have even see it on this forum lately with all the new faces the frenzy has cause.

rockrat
03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
I show them my group, velocity on the crony, then ask them to look down the barrel and show me the leading, because my eyes aren't too good and I can't see it. (neither can they).

They usually turn around and leave, mumbling.

429421Cowboy
03-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Yep, especially on another forum i hit sometimes, the "how slow does it have to be to not lead??" questions never end, in fact now they read more like "I couldn't find anything jacketed, so now i have these Lazercast bullets to try, are they hard enough?". Had one guy that was convinced that his 1911 couldn't shoot cast since he read that Glocks will self destruct after shooting lead. I just don't get it, what in the heck did we use for so many years before we had jacketed bullets?

.22-10-45
03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
I love it when they ask..I was shooting my .22 Hornet with cast..guy few benches down thought it was one of the then new .204 Rugers.. I didn't think it was THAT loud! then I got the most pitying look when I said I was shooting cast.."Oh your shooting just lead?" Started bragging of the accuracy of his jacketed match bullets as we were walking down to targets...until he spotted my groups..suddenly he needed to leave range in a hurry!

Boerrancher
03-07-2013, 01:18 AM
I have been casting for over 30 years, and I have heard it all at some of the local ranges. In many of my rifles I shoot a 50/50 blend of pure and WW and push them up to 2500 fps. The original 22 mag shot a pure lead bullet at 2,000 fps, and much of the ammo for them today is still not jacketed and still run 2000 fps. If lead bullets are so bad someone needs to tell all of those thousands of 22mag shoots out their that shooting that lead factory ammo will ruin their gun and lead their barrel, is inaccurate, and unreliable.

Best wishes,

Joe

starmac
03-07-2013, 02:34 AM
Why tell them anything, lead is getting harder to find without them using it too. lol

Wayne Smith
03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I am fascinated that the son of my best friend insists that he will NOT put lead through his H&K 45ACP! His father and I shoot it in our guns all the time, and I shoot it in my CZ92 with a poly barrel, just like his H&K. Still won't consider it. He's single, has a good job, and almost no expenses. That may have something to do with it!

Springfield0612
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Let them waste their money, I'll save mine and buy more toys :)

clintsfolly
03-07-2013, 01:38 PM
I just tell'em I like to scrub the barrel!! Clint

OBIII
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
It's all a moot point anyway. Don't you know that reloading can blow up your gun? Cause serious injury to yourself or others? Let's think this through and stay safe out there.

OB

41 mag fan
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
You can't fix stupid....so tell them if they come across any lead to grab it for you!!

TheGrimReaper
03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Talk em out of lead! Too many people to compete with for scrap lead as it is!!! HAHAHA

cephas53
03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I think it may be a phase one goes through with casting and also loading. After starting to get positive results, and having a whole lot of enjoyment doing it, and learning more about it I became what could be almost called evangelical. Granted I'm kinda solitary person living in the sticks, but do enjoy a good conversation especially bout loading and casting. However over time I seem to reserve my energy to those who show a definite interest. Otherwise a one line comment usually suffices.

dragonrider
03-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I always try but have yet to succeed. In my club of some 300 members they may be ten that cast and I think I am the only one who won't shoot it if I did not cast it. Some are curious of how it is done, but not enough to give it a try. Others steadfastly say it can't be done.

gbrown
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Do any of you still try to correct the misconceptions people have when they find out your are shooting cast bullets? Many of you have be casting longer than me. I am however already tiring of explaining the truths to people who see me or know I shoot cast. I am starting to rather just let them think what they want and on the bright side there is more lead for me.

Been there, done that. What's the point? Someone with their mind made up has already decided on a course of action. We know the truth. Keep on doing what we been doing. Cast them boolits, load 'em up, have fun! Let the naysayers scramble for the overpriced stuff and have a good laugh. I go to the range, shoot, shoot, shoot, and the people to the right and left look at me like I'm an alien. How can you do that? I cast, I reload, have a good day. LOL Heard it all, doesn't faze me. Keep doing what I do, the good life!

jeepyj
03-07-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm with others why try to sell our hobby? If they are already set in there thoughts there is no since trying to convince otherwise. Those who said lead is getting hard to get they are right just think back when it was 3cents a pound and you could walk into any garage and get a 5 gallon pail without a blink is a matter fact most of the time they were glad to get rid of it. I will talk a blue streak to someone with an interest to the others I simply say its just a hobby and I enjoy it and hope you enjoy your hobby what ever it is. I'll gladly put my savings towards something else that interests me!
Jeepyj

km101
03-07-2013, 11:39 PM
When the jacketed bullet experts start telling me how wrong I am, I just say "Yeah, but I've been doing it wrong for so long that I dont know any other way." I dont even try to educate them any more. As someone else said: "more for me".

texassako
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I had to laugh at this thread since I was in Cabela's today and the only section stocked with much was the casting supplies. Two guys were whining about no bullets for their 45s, and right next to the bullet section is the casting section with several Lee .45 cal molds on the shelf. I have been getting even stranger looks at the range now that I shoot cast in rifles when people ask what I am shooting(because it is usually something odd).

TCLouis
03-08-2013, 12:12 AM
I always tell them ya gotta mix gold with the lead and so cast boolits are 10 times more expensive to shoot than jacketed.

Why you ask . . .

Cause COWWs are getting harder to find so I don't want any more competition looking for them!