PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a guide for spring bear?

horsesoldier
03-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I am just waiting on the drawing to hunt spring bear in Washington state, this should be the year I draw hopefully.I have been thinking about hiring a guide for this hunt or a fall hunt if I do not draw the spring season.This is the outfitter I have been looking at, the prices do not seem unreasonable.I have never hired a guide before, anything I should be looking for and any questions I should ask? I already emailed a request for previous clients phone numbers and email address's so I can ask them questions.Thank you for you time.

http://bearpawoutfitters.com/washington_bear_hunting.html

quilbilly
03-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Can't help you much with your question but since you will have a bear tag anyway, you can use our place as a base camp during the fall season when the berries are out on the Olympic Peninsula. I will be too busy to join you (pink salmon season is in high gear and my customers will lynch me if I don't get them what they need) but I will know about the berry crop and generally where to look in our neighborhood.

horsesoldier
03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks quilbilly, I might take you up on that offer. I really want to get a bear this year!

quilbilly
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Warning - I might want a couple of roasts. Nothing better than black bear roasts when they have been feasting on berries. Sadly I am in the wrong line of work to do much bear hunting or fishing when the fishing is good so I depend on the charity of fellow hunters. The butcher shop in Port Angeles makes the best sausages from bear that I know of (Polish, brats, pepperoni, breakfast etc etc.).

Spokerider
03-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Well, here in BC we are over run with black bear, and in the spring, they are about one of the easiest critters to hunt. You should have good pops in Washinton State too. It's up to you if you want the pampering and facilities of a guide, but IMO, it's certainly not necessary to connect with a good bear.

Find a SE hill in a desolate / secluded area, steep is good, with smallish clear cuts that have 5 year old or so new growth on them, with big timber nearby and best yet, a stream nearby, and you'll have bears. They will follow the new growth up in elevation as the spring wears on. In an area like this, I can see upwards of 20 bears in one morning. They will also prey on deer fawns and elk calves, so find them and you'll be into bears.

horsesoldier
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Wow.Maybe I wont hire a guide then. quilbilly your more than welcome to a few roasts. I have never had bear but I am sure its good if you treat and cut it right.I think I can get two tags for the coast.If you have room in your freezer and a place to stay for a week I would donate one for room and board!

Idaho Mule
03-06-2013, 09:02 PM
horsesoldier, they look legit to me. Spring bear will have the best hides (ya gotta get them before they start rubbing tho). Fall bear is much better eating. Bearpaw advertises perfect spring hunting with watching the green-up and following it up. Look for small patches of wild onions. When right out of the den they need to get their guts working again so they are on the hunt for anything green. JW

runfiverun
03-06-2013, 09:51 PM
like dandelions..

MT Gianni
03-07-2013, 12:34 AM
The next thing they want is female. Look for known salt licks and past baited areas if legal in Washington. [Legal in ID] Use them less as a feeder but more of a locator as the bears move toward them. Remember the saying "Big ears, little bear, little ears, big bear".

horsesoldier
03-07-2013, 03:01 AM
I wish it was legal to bait in Washington.Thanks for the replies guys, definitely food for thought!

horsesoldier
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, looks like I didnt draw again this year.Its a long time to wait until the fall time, maybe spring season in Idaho!