PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio,Texas

Circuit Rider
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Any members living in the San Antonio area,I could use some help. I have a friend and her Father who are going to be visiting the area the last week of March. Where are some good places for them to eat? She likes most every thing, 'cept I can't get her to try calf fries. Shouldn't have told her what they were I suppose. BBQ,Asian,of course Tex-Mex,and seafood. Any neat places to see also. Thanks, CR

gsdelong
03-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Alamo cafe was good few years back last I knew

x101airborne
03-05-2013, 10:28 PM
For sight seeing, there are many things to do.
Sea World
Alamo
Tower of the Americas
about 10 missions and historical places
Buckhorn Hall of Horns. (For all you hunting types)
The River Walk
The old Lone Star Brewery
Nagel's Gun Shop

For lodging... There is only one.
The Hyatt Regency.
The BEST beds, cleanest rooms, best room service. Right on the River Walk. Access to hundreds of dining and shopping locations within walking distance. Right next door to the Tower of the Americas.
And it is just about 100.00 a night. Anytime I go, that is where I stay. To heck with the cost. It is WORTH it.

And by the way, my ranch is only about an hour and a half to the south in Gonzales.
Just sayin. And Gonzales is the birthplace of Texas Independence from Mexico. So, So much to see there. And then the Gulf Coast. The closest place a German U-boat ever sank a ship as far as I know. That was at 4 miles offshore.

Fredricksburg is wine country and you can get just hammered tasting wines and hot sauces all day. And some georgeous country to boot. To the west is Lakey. Great BBQ (like nothing anyone else has ever seen) and the famous (or infamous) Comal River. If they like to tube.

Just lots to do and see in a short drive (under 3 hours away).
If I can help, just let me know.
Trey

runfiverun
03-06-2013, 12:44 AM
if they don't find someplace to eat on the riverwalk their guide dog ain't doin it's job.

starmac
03-06-2013, 03:52 AM
You don't have to like tubing, to like the comal river. If you like bikinis, it is hard not to like the scenery.

Olevern
03-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Don't forget the botanical gardens; wifey likes it.

sundog
03-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Buckhorn Saloon and Museum for sure (walking distance from the Alamo). Go to the bar, get a beer, take it with you while touring the museum. Go back to bar for another beer and continue touring museum (take beer with you).

Y'all also might like the Guenther House (Pioneer Flour Mill) (http://www.guentherhouse.com/).

popper
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
River walk was interesting in 70, is a tourist trap now.

felix
03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yes, but prolly the best one in the USA. ... felix

Char-Gar
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I like San Antone very much and travel there often. Lots of good places to eat on the Riverwalk. Tex-Mex places abound with folks having their favorite. I like "Mi Tierra" (My Land) in the old city market which has been converted into shops and such. You can get there from downtown via on of those neat soft tired trollies that run around the places of interest.

I always stay in the historic Menger hotel down town next to the Alamo. There are better and newer places, but there is so much history in the Menger, much of it family history.

Cactus Farmer
03-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Try the Casa Rio on the river walk. It was the first cafe/business to open on the walk. You can eat right next to the river,but watch out for the pigeons.
They are in the trees above your head,just saying..........

longhorn
03-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Mi Tierra. Try the cabrito. You're welcome. Oh, and I enjoy the botanical garden immensely--maybe a sign of aging, I guess

Bodydoc447
03-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Another recommendation for Mi Tierra. It is fantastic. I eat there at least once everytime I am in town. Lots of places to eat on the river walk.

Doc

Circuit Rider
03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys, I'll pass the info along. Trey, if I'm ever in the area I'll give you a shout. CR

Ed Barrett
03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Mi Tierra. Try the cabrito. You're welcome. Oh, and I enjoy the botanical garden immensely--maybe a sign of aging, I guess

You are making my mouth water talking about cabrito. Best I ever had was in Renosa across from McAllen TX, here in the Ozarks they sometimes fix goat but it sure isn't spiced the same.

geargnasher
03-06-2013, 11:30 PM
If you're going to come to South-central Texas, don't waste your time on Asian food or seafood. Load up on barbecue and Tex-Mex any and every chance you get, because you can't get either one quite like it's made here anywhere else. Bill Miller is a barbecue chain in the area, not the absolute best but reliably above-average and worth a go. If you get a chance, drive around just after sunup on a weekday in the quiet, non-touristy parts of town and find the BUSY taco stand parked in a vacant lot somewhere with NO Anglos anywhere around, preferably one without a health department permit displayed. Get a cup of Menudo and a barbacoa taco. The Mexican concrete finishers and roofing crews know where the good stuff is to eat, follow their lead.

Gear

Olevern
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
You are making my mouth water talking about cabrito. Best I ever had was in Renosa across from McAllen TX, here in the Ozarks they sometimes fix goat but it sure isn't spiced the same.

Indeed, a big +1 on the cabrito in Renosa, my wife and I have been shopping there many times. Not sure on the next trip if we will go across the border...we never had any problems before but it gets more dangerous by the month. Safer to find your goat on this side of the border.

For Tex-Mex none better than a little café in George West, Tx, but that is a bit far from where you're going to be staying.

rintinglen
03-07-2013, 05:51 AM
I love the River Walk. Every time I hit San Antonio, I make it a point to take a stroll along there and try a new place. Haven't had a bad meal yet! It is absolutely essential to see the Alamo. Only at Arlington Was the sense of reverence more profound for me. I had hoped to make it back to Texas this spring Myself, but gasoline at $4.20 a gallon? Yikes. (Though gas is always cheaper in Texas).

Fishman
03-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Menudo. Just run away.

I eat all kinds of things and I just haven't found a good cow innards soup yet.

starmac
03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Menudo. Just run away.

I eat all kinds of things and I just haven't found a good cow innards soup yet.

It is suppose to cure a hangover, much rather have a hangover myself. lol
I think the way it works, is folks just quit drinking so they won't need to eat the menudo. lol

RickinTN
03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Rudy's barbeque (several in the San Antonio area) and Sea Island Shrimp house are two of my favorites. Not sure if any location "Down town", but they are in the 410 loop area.
Enjoy your visit!
Rick