PDA

View Full Version : Casting is like riding a bicycle

Case Stuffer
03-05-2013, 05:59 PM
A couple of weeks ago I drug my RCBS Pro Melt out of storage,dusted it of ,fired it up and cast just over 100 Boolits just to confirm that it still worked and I had not forgotten everything about casting. Pot was full of alloy from over 30 years ago so no need to add any.

I have since purchased some COWW ingots from a member here and some 2-6-92 alloy from a commerical caster.
Went down to the shop fired up the pot and cast for one hour adding 1Lb. WW ingot to 2 Lbs. of 2-6-92 alloy as need while casting.

One hour of fun using a Lee 6 cavity 125 RN .356 mostly and a Lyman 142 .358 135 gr. SWC produced just over 500 of the 125s and 70 of the 135s. Only had 12 throw backs from the 6 cavity and those from the first to pours. I had 16 throw backs from the 135 but that mold takes longer to heatup and I mostly just used it while waiting for the Lee to cool down. Got to learn to slow down and pase myself better and find that perfect temp. setting.

One thing is for sure it is easer to pick casting back up after 30 years plus than to learn it the first time around.

According to my Saeco hardness tester boolits are 8-9 which is equal to Brinell 15 so with a bit of aging they should be fine for my just below max. 9MM loads

A box with close to 600 freshly cast bright shinny Boolits sure are a lovely sight to behold.

I have already lubed the first batch of 100 plus from a couple of weeks ago with Lox from White Lable and have some 45/45/10 Delux on order so likely will wait on it for these latest lead pills.

Case Stuffer
03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Deleted ,posted in wrong thread