PDA

View Full Version : cannon

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I put these pics and questions in the outdoors section but got no replies so I thought I would try it here.
I have this little cannon which has a bore that a .690 round ball fits and with a patch , I think it will fit perfectly. I would like to shoot it but I have zero experience with black powder and cannons, so any help or advice would be appreciated.63180631816318263183

WILCO
03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Make and model?

Wayne Smith
03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't know much about them but I can tell you that you have to strap it down to the mount. I think you have the wood cut too deep. Most that I've seen have maybe 1/4 of the trunnion showing above the wood and a metal strap bolted over it.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Make and model?

I cannot find any markings on it, so your guess is as good as mine.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't know much about them but I can tell you that you have to strap it down to the mount. I think you have the wood cut too deep. Most that I've seen have maybe 1/4 of the trunnion showing above the wood and a metal strap bolted over it.

I agree. I did not make the wood mount. This cannon was an heirloom from my deceased FIL. He passed well before I met his daughter, my wife, and so any information about the cannon was lost.

Smitty's Retired
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I had a close friend that had one similar to that one, as far as shape and size. Too many variables in charge on those. Depends on what type of powder and if you use a patched load or foil wrap.

Might want to talk to these guys.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/20/

chboats
03-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I have a 3/4" bore cannon that looks to be quite a bit heaver than yours. I load a .715 ball over 100gr of FFG, no patch just slide the ball in. Is yours made of brass? My guess would be to start with about 50-60gr of FFG under a .690 ball. You don't need a patch. If you leave it tilted up the way it is shown in the photo you should be OK without a strap over the trunnions. If you don't want to shoot it with a ball, load 100gr of FFG in it with a wad of aluminum foil over the charge. The foil will only travel about 25yds. or less

They are great fun to shoot

fouronesix
03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Actually, a very nice looking cannon!
The carriage can be made to work as has been posted.

The obvious age is what is attractive to me. It looks to be brass or some similar alloy.

I wouldn't hazard a guess on its original intended use but it could have been a salute cannon and not designed to actually shoot a heavy projectile. Those were loaded with a small charge of blackpowder with a simple paper wad placed on top.

But, what throws me is the rifling I see in the bore- if that is what I'm seeing?? Left hand twist??
The simple salute cannons would not have had the rifling.

Junior1942
03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Dixie Gun Works used to sell a cannon like that, IIRC.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I have a 3/4" bore cannon that looks to be quite a bit heaver than yours. I load a .715 ball over 100gr of FFG, no patch just slide the ball in. Is yours made of brass? My guess would be to start with about 50-60gr of FFG under a .690 ball. You don't need a patch. If you leave it tilted up the way it is shown in the photo you should be OK without a strap over the trunnions. If you don't want to shoot it with a ball, load 100gr of FFG in it with a wad of aluminum foil over the charge. The foil will only travel about 25yds. or less

They are great fun to shoot

Thank you, I will definitely try the foil only, for the first few shots. I am a retired ironworker and making hold down straps will be a minor challenge which I will complete before shooting it. It is made of brass or some similar alloy. Great info on the FFG. What do I put in the flash hole? More FFG or do I need a fuse?

Blacksmith
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I would recommend using a fuze so you can get well away before you test fire it, it could come apart. There are some sources for fuzes listed in the Cannon section over in Outdoors sub forum.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Actually, a very nice looking cannon!
The carriage can be made to work as has been posted.

The obvious age is what is attractive to me. It looks to be brass or some similar alloy.

I wouldn't hazard a guess on its original intended use but it could have been a salute cannon and not designed to actually shoot a heavy projectile. Those were loaded with a small charge of blackpowder with a simple paper wad placed on top.

But, what throws me is the rifling I see in the bore- if that is what I'm seeing?? Left hand twist??
The simple salute cannons would not have had the rifling.

Thank you, I am blessed to have inherited such great stuff form my wife's father whom I never met. Other things in the collection include a German binocular of WW2 origin, which may have come off a submarine which his cutter, the Spencer, sank. There are also some walking sticks, one is narwhale and the other is ivory I think. They are in rough shape but still very cool.
I would love to be able to date the cannon. It appears to be very old. Unfortunately, the barrel is not rifled. What you are seeing in the picture is just a streak of dust.

KCSO
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I would proof it first with a double charge just use the barrel with a long fuse, if it stands up THEN shoot it when you finish the carriage. On Brass i mike the breech and any change in measurment is a fail but the breech looks stoout enough on that one for a good load.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I would recommend using a fuze so you can get well away before you test fire it, it could come apart. There are some sources for fuzes listed in the Cannon section over in Outdoors sub forum.
I did see the fuses in the outdoors forum. Thanks for the advise. It would be quite a rush to be standing next to that thing if it came apart!!! lol

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
I would proof it first with a double charge just use the barrel with a long fuse, if it stands up THEN shoot it when you finish the carriage. On Brass i mike the breech and any change in measurment is a fail but the breech looks stoout enough on that one for a good load.

Are you miking the breach on the outside or inside?

fouronesix
03-05-2013, 02:54 PM
OK, smoothbore. No problem. It really has some aged elegance to it.

The best way to mic the bore would be to use a pin gauge or similar instrument. The custom shotgun smiths use them for shotgun bores- might check around your area for a smith with that type set up. An alternative would be to use a tight jagged patch and run it all the way to the breech. Easy enough to 'feel' any rough spots and feel for 'bulge' near breech.

I wouldn't know what a meaningful proof charge would be for that cannon?? Once you get the carriage set up to secure the cannon, it'd be pretty easy to fire it using a lead round ball and maybe 50 gr F black powder. Get some cannon fuse, load the charge and ram a loosely patched RB on top of powder, pick the touch hole so the fuse will penetrate the charge, insert some fuse, light - fire! Treat it just like any firearm. I'd have control of range so some stupid looky lew doesn't run up to it!! After lighting, get back and to the side- preferably behind a berm or barrier. After firing you can re-check the bore and outside surface of the metal for any cracks or gas leakage.

Even after test firing, I wouldn't trust it completely and would continue to use due caution.

Olevern
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Very cool cannon; stay safe out there, ya hear?

bob208
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
i would start with a .38 spl case full of 2f. work up if you need to like a .357 case. then see how that goes.

DO NOT AT ANY TIME USE SMOKLESS POWDER IN IT.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
i would start with a .38 spl case full of 2f. work up if you need to like a .357 case. then see how that goes.

DO NOT AT ANY TIME USE SMOKLESS POWDER IN IT.

thanks Bob. As I said before, I am unfamiliar with black powder. Is 2f a common , easy to get powder?

fouronesix
03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
The most common blackpowder granulations are F, FF, FFF, FFFF. The largest granule size is F the smallest is FFFF. F is the "slowest" burning and FFFF is the "fastest".

I'd think for your cannon, either F or FF would be what most use.

For larger, but still small scale, fully functional cannons that are designed to shoot real projectiles, the F blackpowder is usually recommended and one of the reasons its on the market.

For perspective, a 38 Spl case holds about 23 gr of FF blackpowder and a 357 case holds about 27 gr of FF.

Philngruvy
03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
The most common blackpowder granulations are F, FF, FFF, FFFF. The largest granule size is F the smallest is FFFF. F is the "slowest" burning and FFFF is the "fastest".

I'd think for your cannon, either F or FF would be what most use.

For larger, but still small scale, fully functional cannons that are designed to shoot real projectiles, the F blackpowder is usually recommended and one of the reasons its on the market.

For perspective, a 38 Spl case holds about 23 gr of FF blackpowder and a 357 case holds about 27 gr of FF.

Thanks, I am so happy to be a part of this community. There is so much information and so many people willing to share it. Thank you all for your assistance.

Artful
03-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Cool cannon - you should video it when you try it out.

Bad Water Bill
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Philngruvy

Check the VENDER section.

I remember reading a post of someone here selling cannons he manufactures there.

chboats
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
This is what mine looks like. This is a time laps photo.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63267&d=1362585253

Carl

Philngruvy
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
This is what mine looks like. This is a time laps photo.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63267&d=1362585253

Carl

nice!!!