PDA

View Full Version : How to slug a barrel?

LongDog
03-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Hello

I have been searching for info on how to slug a barrel, but must not be typing in the right thing, do I just place a lead bullet in my XDM match barrel and knock it through with a small piece of brass or is this wrong?

Thanks

AricTheRed
03-05-2013, 01:02 AM
Not quite right if you are trying to measure the chamber throat, perfect procedure if you are going for bore/groove diameter.

rsrocket1
03-05-2013, 01:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso

"Barrel slugging made easy part 1" and Part 2

Part 1 starts slow for the first minute, but is a very good tutorial. No need to smash a fishing sinker. Do the torch thing outdoors.

AricTheRed
03-05-2013, 01:10 AM
To get the chamber get an expended case you have not decapped.
fill it 75% full of lead. cast a lead (pure lead) boolit for your gun.

start that lead boolit at the muzzle.

using a steel rod smaller that the bore diameter wrapped in electrical tape in several spots (so the steel can't contact the bore) push the pure lead boolit down in to the case. give it a few more good whacks with the hammer and then push your new chamber/bore slug out of the barrel.

figure on an auto pistol barrel you have you lead filled case chambered and the chambered case and barrel setting on a block of wood, then after you have finished driving the slug down in to the throat you lift the works up and give a few more gentile taps to push your now lead-filled case out of the barrel.

you should end up with something that looks like ....

LongDog
03-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks very much I will give it a try

AricTheRed
03-05-2013, 01:26 AM
I'd like to see what your results are, post pictures if you can.

Good luck.

prs
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Since I started doing these things before I found sites such as this, I am a self taught idiot. I cast pure lead RNFP boolits and size them in a lube sizer close to the expected groove diamenter. I tap one gently into the muzzle end about a inch or so, then tap it back out the muzzle. I tap one gently into the breech up the rifled bore about an inch or so and then tap it back out the breech. Then I tap one gently through the breech and up the barrel out the muzzle. On that third one I am subjectively feeling for loose, tight, or stiction prone area of the barrel. I measure them all with micrometer and am really pleased when they are all the same and barrel was consistenty smooth. I am not too unhappy if muzzle and barrel are the same. For example, in a 45 Colt or 45ACP barrel, lead RNFP boolits sized to .452 seem to always fit modern barrels. A relic barrel in 45 Colt may need a .454 or larger, but I have not encountered such, yet....

prs

mdi
03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Since your question was about barrel slugging, your basic premise is correct. Basically a ball, egg sinker, or case casting of soft lead driven through a lightly oiled barrel is what barrel slugging is. I've been using egg sinkers and case castings for many years and never had any problems (I also use case castings for hardness testing alloys). Never needed a chamber slug though...