PDA

View Full Version : Switchin' from 'coons to gophers

Jim
03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Coon season's about done, so time to make some changes. I know a lady that keeps horses on a nice piece of property. I sent her an email asking for permission to shoot gophers on her place.

She wrote back saying "Yes! PLEASE come kill these #*#* gophers!"

I'm back in business, boys! :bigsmyl2:

John Allen
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Sounds like some fun shooting coming up. I wish we had more farms around here.

DCM
03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Glad to hear it!
Sound mutually beneficial to boot.

x101airborne
03-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I got gophers. AND $%^ D$## Coons!
Like buzzards luck around here.
Cant kill nothin,
Nothin will die.

Jim
03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
I got gophers. AND $%^ D$## Coons!
Like buzzards luck around here.
Cant kill nothin,
Nothin will die.

I'm beginnin' to think the ol' man's gonna have to come out there an' teach you how to shoot, son!:kidding: :bigsmyl2:

x101airborne
03-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Just Maybe!
When you have nuthin to learn, might as well die.
I cant tell ya how many times my postal shilouette coach started me over from the beginning because I had an issue. I still go back and work on the basics every once in a while. It gets like I can feel when I need to reset because of some problem in my form, or breathing, or hold, or trigger pull.

Iowa Fox
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Gophers in this state live under ground 100% of the time. You have to trap them to get them. When I was a kid the county paid a dime bounty for each one, just take the two front paws in for the bounty money. We do have thirteen line ground squirrels here that are the most fun to shoot of just about anything I have ever shot for pest control. Little devels raise heck with the corn when its first coming out of the ground. Now that I'm reitred I am more than happy to help the neighbors keep them under control.

ACrowe25
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
What are you using to pick gophers off with? Any tricks to this? Wouldn't mind trying my hand at some myself.

Jim
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
What are you using to pick gophers off with? Any tricks to this? Wouldn't mind trying my hand at some myself.

Depending on the range, a scoped bolt action 22LR or a scoped bolt action 223. They're very jumpy and will bolt at the slightest movement. The closer you set up to them, the more work you have to put into camouflage and/or concealment.

If they see you and run for the hole, try to track where they went down. If you're patient, you can wait them out. Generally, in five to fifteen minutes, he'll stick his head back out to see if the threat is gone.

x101airborne
03-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Snake, nape, frags and claymores.

Bonz
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM

are you inviting everyone to come on down for a shoot-a-thon ?

x101airborne
03-07-2013, 06:45 PM
If you are in the area and we can work out the schedule, come on.
I aint stingy. I am leaving out to the ranch tomorrow with my youngest to do some scouting and my wife will pull kiddo duty this weekend so I can hunt. I am gonna be looking for some squirrels, some pigs, maybe a yote if I get lucky. A coon would be a good thing to get. I am gonna carry my TC pistol in 30 Herrett and a shotgun with me on the tractor and I am just gonna go round in circles for a while and clear my head. I have quite a few cases to fire form and get ready to re-trim, so looks like I will have some time to myself.

Olevern
03-07-2013, 10:41 PM

Trey,
maybe you can find you a tunnel rat to follow them down them holes?

x101airborne
03-08-2013, 12:07 AM
I am that tunnel rat.
I take my gopher killin very seriously.

smkummer
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Gopher (Richardson and 13 lined)hunting in N.Dak. is driving a station wagon with the windows rooled down in the farmers pasture (with his permission)and shooting everyone you can spot. Just shoot and then drive a little until you see some more. A 22 LR semi with or without a scope is perfect, less worry about long range ricochet. Without a scope is easier to plink them on the run which happens every now and then.

dale2242
03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Sage rat season is almost here.
Land owner says they are starting to show.
Can hardly wait.....dale

John Allen
03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Jim, jump to squirrels those little buggers drive me crazy.