PDA

View Full Version : Herters Model U-3

salpal48
03-04-2013, 08:52 PM
I,m Still Loading on my U-3 press and I want to find out what type of original Allen Key was used on the inside allen screw of the press ram. No conventional Key is small enough to get into that Tight area.
Also what was the purpose of The allen adjustment and spring on The Left side of the press. It seems to be the same old problem of Crushed springs, Or is it just keeping the ram in the upright position
Sal

Reg
03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Not sure what you are talking about with the allen set screws for the ram / shell holder. Most I have seen are from the side and are in the open.
The allen adjustment w/ spring actually is supposest to have a 1/4" ball on the spring side facing the ram but don't use it, take out the spring and just use the allen screw to cover up the hole.
The idea was to hold the handle in the up position but the rams are soft and that ball under spring tension quickly wears a groove into the ram sometimes to the point it runs rough in its hole.
One of GLH's ideas that didn't pan out.
Great press though.

salpal48
03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info about the ball and spring. as to the set screw . On the U-3 the left side of the ram to lock up the shell holder is open while the right side has only about a 1' clearance from the wall to the allen set screw. The conventional size allen key just makes it to lock the right side of the shell holder up. Herters must have made a short original allen to compensate for the narrow space. Between the allen and one's fingers there is very little room
Sal

Reg
03-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks to the kindness of one of the members here I have one of the original factory Herters manuals. Assembly and use of Herters Reloading tools. Model 3, 3A, U3, 81, O Super and 234.
Looking where they are talking of the U3 they don't seem to make any mention of a special allen wrench. If you say it just (barely) makes it, that might have been about all they intended.
If you want a copy of the manual, send your address in a PM.

Pressman
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Reg, you have one of the very early U-3's. It takes a special shortened wrench like the one used on the double ram Model 81.
Herter's quickly made an on the fly modification to the press by having a 1/4" hole drilled through the side near the top. Later production has the hole moved to the bottom of the web and drilled before painting. The U-3 was my first Herter's press and it saw a lot of use.
I use a piece of #9 wire hooked around the handle and the primer arm to hold the handle up. Letting it hang down is a real knee cracker.
Ken

Reg
03-05-2013, 09:37 PM
No, I don't have the press, salpal48 does, I just have the manual. I can see where it would take either a access hole or better yet, a shortened wrench to get to that set screw, it would be tight without either.
What I was going by was what was said in the manual and what was shown in the parts index.
The parts manual seemed to indicate that the same wrench was used in the entire series of Herter presses from the Model 3 on. Right you are though. The same accessibility problem would be there on the double ram model as well.
Could be my manual dates from a time where they had the accessibility problem taken care of.

Just remembered that I had picked up another Herter press manual at a gunshow last week.
Comparing the two, there is a some difference but not related to this press. They still show the allen wrench as part number 13.
In manual back marked 106667 MFP, everything is the same except the U-3 parts breakdown is not shown.
In manual 101717 MFP, the U-3 is shown in a parts breakdown.

Salpal48,
I just went and checked, the proper wrench size is 1/8" or at least that is what is used on any of my 3 Super Model 3 presses.
You could just pick up a spare and clip it off on the short end to get better clearance but DO NOT try to do it with side cutters or a hack saw. Those puppys are hard with a capital H. Best to use a abrasive cut off saw or even can be ground back on a bench grinder slowly and dip cooling in water so as not to draw the temper.

:drinks:

Pressman,
I like the wire idea, man those handles are solid cast and heavy. They bark the knees with a vengeance !!!!!

Still say they are great press's by any standards.

salpal48
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Ken, Thanks for the info. all the U-e I,v seen maybe a total of 3 + mine have no hole on the right side . I thought all were made the same . Appox what year was the change over
Sal