PDA

View Full Version : Mos 35809 Improved in the 356 Winchester

AnthonyB
08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Sundog gifted me with one of the Mos 35809 Improved moulds a few years. I have sent samples to a few folks but hadn't managed a roundoit for any testing of my own until yesterday. This mould drops boolits at .358 and 279 grains from my alloy with GC installed. I don't have the OAL with me but they were seated deep enough to feed from the magazine over varying powder charges. The rifle is a Winchester 94 AE customized by Jim Brockman before it came to me and currently wears a Leupold Scout Scope forward of the receiver.
It was very hot and I started with some NEI 200 FPs that left the barrel with a gray wash as far as I could see. I was sighting in and didn't shoot any groups with the NEI boolit but it seemed to shoot pretty well despite what looked like a lube failure given the conditions. I started the 35809 Improved testing with ten rounds of 25 gr. IMR 4198 and the big melt Felix lube at 1655 fps. The gray wash was gone in five rounds but I didn't get any great groups; I'd guess 2 inches at 50 yards was about average.
The next load was 35 gr. IMR 3031 at 1750 fps. My shooting partner gave out on me before I could finish, but groups kept getting better and the final one was a classic cloverleaf with all holes touching. I haven't measured it yet but it is under 1/2 inch. I think the barrel was getting seasoned as I shot and will just run some Ed's Red through it until I can get back to the range.
I have more loads to test and should be able to get another few hundred fps from the rifle if I try, but I may have already found the load for this one.
Corky, thanks again for the mould! This should be a real deer stomper and I hope to give a hunting report this winter. Tony

MT Gianni
08-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Anthony, What is your oal and how deep are you seating? Thanks and great shoting, Gianni.

AnthonyB
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Gianni:
The OAL was 2.570 and the base of the boolit appeared to be just below the bottom of the shoulder. I don't know if it will repeat the great performance I saw yesterday but have great faith in a 280 gr. boolit to do anything I need done. This will be my next HP candidate for Buckshot... Tony

AnthonyB
08-10-2007, 12:32 AM
It was very hot and I started with some NEI 200 FPs that left the barrel with a gray wash as far as I could see. I was sighting in and didn't shoot any groups with the NEI boolit but it seemed to shoot pretty well despite what looked like a lube failure given the conditions.

The lube that failed was my own mix, not the big melt Felix lube. I didn't make that clear in the first post.
Tony

lar45
08-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Tony, have you tried my Carnauba Red in it? It generally keeps the barrel clean to very hi velocities.
If you don't have any, PM me your address and I'll put a sample in the mail.

Sounds like a great gun. I have a regular Big Bore in 375 and really like it. I'd like to get one in 307 and 356 also.

have fun.
Glenn.

AnthonyB
08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Glenn:
Your lubes have been on my list of things to try and I appreciate the offer. PM on the way for an order.... Tony

sundog
08-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Tony, you're welcome, sir! Good report. The real thanks go to David Mos who prompted the gifting of that mould. He said, "find someone who can use it."

AnthonyB
09-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I went back to the range yesterday to do more testing with the 35809I and the 356 Winchester. 37 grains of IMR 3031 averaged 1950 fps and gave a best group of .75 at 100 yards; others were 1-2 inches but I was a little punch drunk and groups opened as the day went on. The rifle sure gets your attention when it fires! I may bump the charge a little to get 2000 fps but would be happy with this as my heavy load. Now I gotta make some plinkers with the 358156.
Also played a Sako Mannlicher Carbine in 308. The RCBS 30-165 SIL wouldn't do better than 2.5 inches, but I'd only loaded one charge. I'll take different loads to the range next time to find one with promise and will also include 311291, but I think the rifle has potential. All in all a very good day at the range! Tony