PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for RL7 load for 457122

Guzziac
03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I have been a member for some time, just havn't posted much here. I wish to give my thanks to the person who recommended the use of 34gr. RL7 with the 457122 Gould/Lyman bullet in the 45-70. I ran this load thru two of my Marlins, one a regular SS and the other a GS a couple of days ago and they shot fantastic groups at 85yds. I won't quote group size as most would think I was lieing, but believe me they were incredabily tight groups.
I did find the load left some unburned granuals of powder in the bore, not really an issue as if it were the groups wouldn't be that good. Also BTW I chrongraphed this load from the SS at 1340 fps. The barrels of both rifles cleaned up with just a couple patchs of Hoppes with no apparent leading and the bullets are cast soft. Still not being one to leave well enough alone I have loaded a test series with 35, 36, and 37 gr. to see if I can clean the waste up some and still get good accuracy. Plan on posting the outcome.
Just so to tell that this is not my first rodeo, I have shot a bucket of these Gould HP's with many combinations with little luck. The only load that I have found to work very well involves useing dacron fill. I am currently involved in a rebarreling of my 38-55 Marlin Cowboy as the chamber bulged from a detonation of unknown source. In this case fill was not involved, however the man helping me to rectify my problem has vast experience with lever actions and plenty of experience in reloading. At his recommendation I am discontinueing the use of fillers. So as not to start a firestorm of fall out from this comment this is my desicion and I am not trying in any way to persuade others here. Like most that use fillers I had noted that Lyman has published for many many years a recommendation for the use of Dacron fill to keep the powder in place at the primer end of the case in cases where the powder does not come close to filling even half way. I bring this up only because now that we have lost the North Haven plant and it's repair facility we have lost the way to rebarrel without going to great expense and trouble. If you like myself highly value your Marlin rifles as they are just keep it in mind.
So many thanks to you and I am sorry I havn't been able to find your post again in our archives so as to thank you by name.
Guzziac.