PDA

View Full Version : What's it called???

just bill
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM
A few years a go, I read an article about reducing the air space inside cartridges with something like corn medium and paraffin. I know of one person that did it in his 357 max loads (in a TC with a 10" barrel). This was to improve the ballistics keeping the powder more uniformly distributed in the cases. The article definitely had a lot of disclaimers, you know"children don't try this at home kind of stuff". I was reading an article recently about ballistics and filling the cases with as much powder as safely possible (max loads). But I am working with cases that their max charges are in the realm of 1/2 their case design capacity. I realize the heaver the bullet, the more case volume the proper seating takes. Any body care to help satisfy a curiosity. Thanks in advance.

Bill

quilbilly
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Depends on the size of case you are using and the type of powder as to whether you really need to use a filler like dacron, kapok, cream-of-wheat, etc. I have a 357 max as well and have never found a real need for the filler in that caliber. In some of the big bottleneck cartridges you might. I defer to others on this forum who use a lot of Unique and similar fast burning powders in their bottleneck cases whether a filler is needed.

williamwaco
03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
If you are using .38 Spec / .357 Mag, / .357 Max, you do not need a filler.

If you are worried about powder distribution in the case, use Unique it is totally position independent.

That said, I have been loading .357 mag for over 50 years and have never noticed any ( appropriate ) powder being position dependent.
( That said, I have never used an inappropriate powder. )

SciFiJim
03-04-2013, 02:01 AM
If you are just interested in the knowledge of fillers, this sticky thread has a lot of info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers)

just bill
03-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks