PDA

View Full Version : First off...Hi Y'all

swampsavage
08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
This is my first post as a registered lurker of a few weeks. Not new to reloading or black powder but recent acquisition of a Uberti (Pedersoli) Sharps 45/70 has me interested in loading cast boolits and black for it. Already made a drop tube out of brass tubing with a brazed on brass bell from a tea ringer I picked up at the HW store. First question is: tube is about 34" now. Should I leave it at that or cut down to 24" like most I see? Already have a single stage press, RCBS dies, scale, primers, brass, black powder (ffg and fffg) and about 20# of .44 bullets I may recast as only use jacketed in my Super Blackhawk. Besides the melting pot, mold and lube what more do I need to get started? Not interested in long range at this juncture as the only nearby range is 75 yds. Just want to make smoke and launch big chunks of lead. Thanks for any help in advance.

John

Jim
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey, Swamp!
I'm over here in Columbia, SC. Sure glad to have ya' with us.
We gotta black powder cartridge board here on the forum an' them fellas could prolly give ya' some good tips on that bigbore shootin' arn of your'n own.

Wanna beer?

45nut
08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Welcome to :cbpour: John,
I created a "Classics & Stickies" sub-forum here and copied a ton of info in there, thread after thread of information for newbie and experienced hands alike.
The basic tools and procedures are in several threads as outlined by several old hands and newly equipped self starters like yourself. Everyone here started once, and that is a fact. We are happy to help you through as you get going.
Welcome to the next phase of your hobby.

IcerUSA
08-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Welcome aboard, very nice group here, ask questions, you'll get answers, like em oe not :), do searches, tons of info and links to more info, just don't forget to go shoot :). You will more than likely get more than enough info from this very knowledgeable bunch of shooter and casters. :drinks: , I:castmine: so I can:Fire:

Keith

9.3X62AL
08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Welcome aboard, Swamp.

I would like to help with your 45-70 venture with The Holy Black, but my limited experience with BPC and its uneven success argues for me to stay low and keep dark. I was VERY happy with the 45-70 results I got, but the 44-40 interlude was........well, it needs further R&D, let's say.

kodiak1
08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Hello from Western Canada. Enjoy the site.
Ken.

Harpman
08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
well, another lead man walking

threett1
08-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Welcome. You only shoot jacketed in your SBH??? That will change too.:mrgreen:

mazo kid
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
You might consider punching or purchasing over-powder wads. I use tablet -backing type wads, also card stock and .030 Veggie wads (not at the same time!). My drop tube is only 26" long, but I use a compression die to get the depth I need to seat the boolit. Some folks put the case with powder on something vibratory, like a brass cleaner, electric shaver, etc. for a few seconds to settle the powder more before seating the boolit. If more questions arise, don't hesitate to ask 'em. We all started out needing to learn and most of us are still learning, regardless of experience. Emery

1Shirt
08-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Howdy and welcome Swamp!
Unless you are only interested in spending your hard earned money, and enjoy cleaning copper out of your S Blackhawk, and cleaning the residue of BP from 45-70 hulls, suggest you consider trying smokless and cast in both.

You need to be very sure with 45-70 hulls and BP that you get them cleaned as soon as possible after shooting. Failure to do so can cause you problems quickly in brass deteroration. I know from experiance. One 45-70 BP shooter that I ran accross had a pretty smart idea for cleaning them immediately after shooting. He had a gal plastic milk jug about half full of soapy water, and he dropped the cases in as they came out of the rifle. At the end of his shooting time, he put the cap on the jug, and shook it pretty well then took it home. Said he just took a knife or shears at home, and cut the top of the jug half off and then dumped the cases in the sink and ran hot water on them and let them air dry. It was a minimum of effort, and he said that he got good case life out of them. For what it is worth, after messing around with BP in my #1 45-70, and going through the mess, I ended up going to my pet load which is 24-26 gr. of 2400 under a 405 gr. Ohas plain base. Very accurate in my rifle.

Good luck, and let us know your results!

1Shirt!:coffee: