PDA

View Full Version : Indoor ranges.

Boatshop
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Around here (Central Florida) many of the indoor ranges won't allow you to shoot reloads. Do any of you know the reason or reasons for this policy? At one range I asked this question and without answering, the person just pointed to a picture of a exploded revolver. :-? Thanks for any replies.

btroj
03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Do they sell ammo? That alone could be your answer.

David2011
03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Boatshop,

Welcome to Cast Boolits!

Some ranges have air purification systems that don't like the smoke of wax based lubes. Others claim that cast boolits put too much lead in the air. I don't have any substantial facts here but know that the lead styphanate in primers does its share to put lead vapors in the air. Primers are a much greater hazard for lead vapors than your lead pot, btw. If they had a gun blown up in their facility it might make them reluctant to allow reloads. It's their business and their rules. I don't personally like indoor ranges because of the garbage in the air. Don't believe I've ever fired a factory round other than .22 rimfire in an indoor range. Some I've been in but didn't shoot at wouldn't let you bring any ammo in.

David

LUBEDUDE
03-03-2013, 01:10 PM
When the indoor range first came to our town that was their hard and fast rule. Fast rule all right; it didn't last the week due to so much resistance. No one would join. Once they changed the rule, the place was buzzing with customers.

popper
03-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Guess they just don't like frugal people.

bobthenailer
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
of the 2 commercial ranges in my area 1 allowes the use of only ammo purchased from them period . the other allowes the use of any ammo including reloads wether bought from them or not , they dont allow fragmented/powderd bullets , and both dont allow you to retreve the brass that crosses ahead ofthe firing line , ever ! however on ocassion you can collect others peoples brass thats behind the firing line if you ask the other shooter first, if you do it descretly while there not looking.

357shooter
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
The only restriction at Atlanta area ranges is with rental guns. They insist on range ammo only when you rent a gun from them. Can't argue with that.

imashooter2
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
They always cite safety, but you don't have to be Fellini to figure out it's because they want to sell their own ammo to the customers.

eljefe
03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
They always cite safety, but you don't have to be Fellini to figure out it's because they want to sell their own ammo to the customers.

Actually, I do run an indoor range. We allow people to shoot
their reloads...probably less than one per cent of my customers reload.
Many bring their own factory ammo, and many buy it from us.

I have seen a few guns malfunction from improperly assembled
reloads. I have not seen a gun blown up...but can understand how
that would give pause to a range operator.

btroj
03-03-2013, 07:30 PM
The local indoor range allows reloads and cast bullets. Only time you have to buy ammo from them is with a rental. I can understand that, it is their gun.

I dislike shooting my 1911 there, seems like an awful lots of brass bounces forward of the firing line.

lylejb
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
While ammo sales are a factor i'm sure, insurance may be as well. A factory only rule may get them a more favorable rate / less liability cost.

Just imagine if someone double charged (or whatever else) and had a kaboom.....and an innocent 3rd party (another customer) was hurt.

Who's going to get sued over that one?

Not saying bad things couldn't happen with factory ammo, but it does take some of the Bubba's out of the picture.

Boyscout
03-03-2013, 09:03 PM
No questions on reloads where I shoot. Their one restriction is handgun calibers only and no steel or aluminum cases.

Boatshop
03-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Thank you for the replys. As with ever thing, there is usually more than one answer from the range owners.

garym1a2
03-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Central florida has lots of nice outdoor ranges, join one and problem is solved.

Boatshop
03-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the replys.

imashooter2
03-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Actually, I do run an indoor range. We allow people to shoot
their reloads...probably less than one per cent of my customers reload.
Many bring their own factory ammo, and many buy it from us.

I have seen a few guns malfunction from improperly assembled
reloads. I have not seen a gun blown up...but can understand how
that would give pause to a range operator.

Yes, of course. That's why outdoor range operators have the same restrictions... Oh wait... They don't.

cajun shooter
03-04-2013, 09:34 AM
As a former Firearms instructor that trained over 1500 Police Officers a year I would like to add a bit of information to this posting.
I've been reloading and casting since about 1969 and have never myself had a bad overloaded round. I was standing beside my best friend whom I taught to reload when his brand New S&W 19 let go. The top strap looked like a mountain with a fast elevation and the cylinder had three sections missing. I was bleeding from sharpnel in my left side of my head.
My friend enjoyed doing right hand elbow bends everyday of his life. I told him I would show him how to reload if he swore on our friendship to not drink while loading. He lasted about 6 months before this incident took place. He was loading 158 gr lead in 357 cases with Bullseye as the powder. I have never seen any revolver with this much damage in the rest of my 65 years. We were both lucky to have survied and I'm thankful that I was wearing glasses at the time.
I also had a local hunter bring us his 30-06 rifle to do a free sight in that we did for the public every year for free just before deer season.
We did the shooting as a private citizen was not covered under our range insurance, only police officers. My fellow instructor was sitting beside me at the sight in table and I again felt hot burning on the left side of my face. The rifle bolt was blown back with the front of it missing the extractor and ejector area.
The owner admitted that he had just started loading and decided it would not matter if he just used any powder instead of what they called for. He did not have the correct powder.
After that incident we had to change our rules to factory ammo only or shut down a program that was over 20 years old. Most of the public understood. Later David

gifford
03-04-2013, 07:49 PM
My indoor range has caliber restrictions, but allows any handgun and any rifle/carbine shooting a pistol round. You can shoot reloads, a lot of the old timers do, we all pick up our brass. If you rent a gun from them, you have to buy their ammo.

Jay561
03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah here in south Florida I have to drive far to shoot my reloads. If you are in central Florida I bet you tried to go to Shoot Straight.

Boatshop
03-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Yes, I have Jay561. They have a nice set-up, but do not allow reloads.:( I have purchased guns from them before, but no more. If I can't shoot there, I won't buy from them.

44man
03-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Clark Bros in VA has an outdoor range and you can only shoot what you buy from them.
It is the idiot capitol with all the semi's rattling and a case of ammo for each.