PDA

View Full Version : Lee 105gr. Tumble Lube .358 SWC for 9mm

medicstimpy
08-09-2007, 02:37 AM
A buddy and I were thinking of looking for a good SWC to use for 9mm and this mold looks interesting. Anyone here use this? I know we have to push them through a resizer to get them to fit 9mm but it does work. We both have molds for .358 but they are too long to fit in the 9mm case. That is why we are looking at this bullet.

Also, since they have to be resized, if anyone uses them, is there a top punch that would work on this bullet. We both have Lee push through type sizers as well but they can't be lubed with this. I guess we can try to use the liquid lube as they say it can be used on all bullets, not just the micro-band TL type.

Any suggestions?

They will be going through a Ruger P89, Grand Power K100 and a RRA 9mm AR15. So if anyone knows if there is a problem feeding. TC's feed ok in both handguns and the RRA is still to be shipped so can't tell with that yet.

Thanks in advance...

:castmine:

Lloyd Smale
08-09-2007, 05:30 AM
I shoot the 105 lee in my 9mm sti all the time. Not the tumble lubed version though but i doubt it would make a differnce. You may have to experiment with seating depts and it wont run in all the 9s ive tried it in but it runs in my trojan like butter and is a very accurate bullet as it is in the 38s I size to 358 for the 38s and 357 for the 9s. I also cast them harder for the 9s as with all those sharp corners theres less chance they will be damaged feeding. This ugly little bullet is one that anyone that shoots 38s should try. It is hands down the most accurate 38 special bullet ive found.

medicstimpy
08-10-2007, 01:29 AM
KEWL... thanks for the info. We heard it was quite accurate so that is why we were asking. Glad to hear confirmation from someone who uses them.

So, do you press them through a Lee resizer or were you able to find a top punch that works for a Lyman/RCBS luber/sizer?

leftiye
08-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi, I shoot the 125 round nose Lee ahead of 3.9 grs. of bullseye. I've had some leading, and have gone to dip lubing them in LLA because the lube groove is so small. Then I size them in a Lee push through sizer .357 diameter, and lube them in a Lyman sizer with a .358 die. The LLA has an added advantage that it lubes the forward parts of the boolit and helps in both chambering and entering the rifling/throat/leade.

Vegas Vince
08-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Welcome!

I shoot both the 102 gr. & 105 gr. lee boolets. I found sizing at .357 , tumble lube with 3.8 gr. Bullseye is mild but accurate. I prefer the 105 it cut a nice clean hole in paper.

Lloyd Smale
08-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I size them to 357 for the 9mm on the star and to 358 the same way for some of my 38s most of the 38s i have to admit i just leave them unsized and tumble lube them. Its about the only use i have for tumble lube.

medicstimpy
08-11-2007, 05:06 AM
KEWL, thanks everybody! So I will just use my Liquid Alox and push them through my 9mm sizer and relube them. No need for a top punch. YAY! :)

medicstimpy
08-26-2007, 03:32 AM
OK, guys... finally got some good ones cast. Now it's time to experiment with loads.

For 124gr LCRN I usually use about 3.8-4.2gr of 231. Since this bullet is a bit longer at the base, should I reduce my load? Or will 3.8gr still offer good accuracy to start with without a drastic pressure increase?

crabo
08-26-2007, 10:03 AM
What is the Lee mold number for the 105 boolit you are talking about?

Cloudpeak
08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
KEWL, thanks everybody! So I will just use my Liquid Alox and push them through my 9mm sizer and relube them. No need for a top punch. YAY! :)

You might consider spraying your bullets with Hornady One Shot lube before pushing them throug the Lee sizer and then using the LLA. Much less messy and it doesn't take much of the One Shot to effectively lube the bullets.

Cloudpeak

medicstimpy
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks again, everybody. I finally got to the range and the bullets are great! Not one FTF in my Ruger P89. Acurate with the same load as for my RN and FMJ's so no need to reset the powder measure. NICE CLEAN HOLES! Now I don't have to dread practicing with the 9 no more!!!

Hopefully my AR15 will arrive soon and I can see if they load in that, too. Then I can do away with casting 9mm RN.

They fed great in my buddy's weird East Eurpoean 9mm, too.

Thanks again. The users here are so helpful. :-D

medicstimpy
09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
What is the Lee mold number for the 105 boolit you are talking about?

Uh, it's 358-105-SWC or Lee part # 90315 (6-Cavity) or 90316 (2-Cavity).