PDA

View Full Version : T/C maxi-ball/maxi-hunter questions

BCall
03-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Recently I acquired the T/C System 1 in-line with a 32 cal barrel that I had been searching for. Took me a while to find a nice one, but I finally got it just this week. Even have .50, .54 and 12 gauge barrels for it. Still looking for a .58 barrel for it, and I guess T/C never made a .45 barrel, but I am tickled to have it. Especially the .32.

Anyway, it came with a manual, and while looking it over and examining the recommended loads, I noticed something I had not seen before. In the section for .50 caliber maxi-balls/hunters, it lists maxi balls and maxi-hunters in 3 different weights.

Now I have seen 275 grain and 350 grain maxi-hunters. I have a mold for a 350 grain one, and the 275 ones I have seen look just like the 350, just shorter by one band and groove. This manual also lists a 470 grain version!

In the maxi-balls, I have seen the 320 and 370 grain version, and have the 370 grain mold, but the 320 is different than the 370 as it has only one lube groove and the base band looks thicker. But the manual lists a 460 grain version!

Now I'm fairly sure T/C never had molds made for the heavier and lighter versions of these, only offering them in pre-lubed slugs. But while I have seen the lighter versions and cast the middle versions, I have never even heard of these heavier versions!

I know I am fairly new to the muzzleloading scene, but I cannot seem to find any mention of them on-line, other than what is in the manuals. Does anyone know if these were ever produced? Does anyone have some still, or maybe used them in the past? Anyone got a link or any pictures? Just curious about them as the manual lists 3 different weights for each in both .50 and .54, and I have only been able to find info on 2 different weights in .50 and only one weight in .54. I'm know product lines have shrunk, but I would like to find any info on these that I can. Thanks for any help, Billy

Rattus58
03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Recently I acquired the T/C System 1 in-line with a 32 cal barrel that I had been searching for. Took me a while to find a nice one, but I finally got it just this week. Even have .50, .54 and 12 gauge barrels for it. Still looking for a .58 barrel for it, and I guess T/C never made a .45 barrel, but I am tickled to have it. Especially the .32.

Anyway, it came with a manual, and while looking it over and examining the recommended loads, I noticed something I had not seen before. In the section for .50 caliber maxi-balls/hunters, it lists maxi balls and maxi-hunters in 3 different weights.

Now I have seen 275 grain and 350 grain maxi-hunters. I have a mold for a 350 grain one, and the 275 ones I have seen look just like the 350, just shorter by one band and groove. This manual also lists a 470 grain version!

In the maxi-balls, I have seen the 320 and 370 grain version, and have the 370 grain mold, but the 320 is different than the 370 as it has only one lube groove and the base band looks thicker. But the manual lists a 460 grain version!

Now I'm fairly sure T/C never had molds made for the heavier and lighter versions of these, only offering them in pre-lubed slugs. But while I have seen the lighter versions and cast the middle versions, I have never even heard of these heavier versions!

I know I am fairly new to the muzzleloading scene, but I cannot seem to find any mention of them on-line, other than what is in the manuals. Does anyone know if these were ever produced? Does anyone have some still, or maybe used them in the past? Anyone got a link or any pictures? Just curious about them as the manual lists 3 different weights for each in both .50 and .54, and I have only been able to find info on 2 different weights in .50 and only one weight in .54. I'm know product lines have shrunk, but I would like to find any info on these that I can. Thanks for any help, Billy

I've shot both of these bullets and they are both adequate bullets, just not great bullets. Personally I prefer the maxiball only because in my TC they shot more accurately than did the Maxi-hunter, which just looking at the bullet construction doesn't make sense to me but they both are alright bullets. The Lee REAL bullet probably as an off the shelf bullet/mold does just as well, at least for my guns anyways they do, but if you get into loading, there are lots of excellent bullets and hey... then there is the round ball... :)

Aloha.. :-D

BCall
03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks, I've shot a number of the Lee Real boolits, but I prefer the maxi so far in my own shooting. The hunter boolit really hasn't done very well.

I was really just interested in the heaviest versions from T/C, pretty much just for academic reasons. I've never seen them, no real need for anything that heavy, but was curious about them. I think I saw a picture of them in some T/C advertising the other day though. Appeared to be the same as the mid weight version, except the base was VERY thick to make it longer and heavier. Thanks, Billy

Good Cheer
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Dang it. I had the chance to get a brand new System 1 with barrels and didn't. As my mother in law used to say, "Too late smart". I miss her but I'll settle for her daughter.

Larry Gibson
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
63437In my 50 cal TC Blk Mtn Magnum I cast the Maxiballs out of 1-16 alloy and load over 90 gr(V) FFg 777 for 1550 fps. Photo shows 6 shots at 100 yards with 1st down the clean tube and next 5 loaded out of the speed loaders. No wiping or cleaning between shots. My Maxi's are the 370 gr out of a TC mould lubed with my own beeswax/olive oil lube.

Larry Gibson

pietro
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
I've shot the heavies, too - but much prefer the Maxi-Hunter to the Maxi-Ball, due to it's better performance on game (deer), despite it's marginally poorer accuracy.

The Maxi-Balls I used, prior to T/C's intro of the Maxi-Hunter, all pencilled through the deer I shot with them, requiring extensive follow-up & additional shots.