PDA

View Full Version : how are mfrb boxes reinforced to carry 60lbs of lead??

turtlezx
03-02-2013, 08:26 PM
My be selling some lead here.
Wish to know what other lead shippers are doing to safely
ship ingots. 60-70 lbs in that box is suprizing
Whats the answer ?? any pics would also help
thanx turtle

Ole
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
You want the lead to move as little as possible.

One way I like to ship heavier stuff is to pack 6 of the small flat rate boxes inside of a medium flat rate box. Put the heavy stuff inside the SFRB's.

Ole
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
You asked for pics so here you go:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5785_zps7eb80ed2.jpg

No_1
03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I do the same thing but also add clear plastic tape to the deal. Purchase good quality plastic tape and wrap / cover every square inch including corners of the box with clear plastic tape.

MtGun44
03-02-2013, 09:40 PM
I have received packages with an inner box made of 3/8" OSB. Worked great.

Bill

turtlezx
03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
good ideas !!!
thanx turtle

fcvan
03-03-2013, 12:05 AM
I have received lead in the MFRB with a smaller box inside. That box measures 6x8x4.5 and usually has 50-60 pounds of ingots. The smaller box is well taped and then the gap/space is filled with pieces of cardboard strips. The MFRB is then well taped. As a unit, there is little to no wiggle room inside. Over the past few years, I've received a dozen or so shipments and nary a one received any damage to speak of during transit.

jonp
03-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I work at a cardboard mill. Every box has a edge crush number indicating how strong it is. Turn a box over and on the bottom is a circle which tells where and who made it and its strength in edge crush which is an indication of the overall strength. We use different glue and thickness of cardboard to obtain different ratings. The largest boxes which are about 3ftx3ftx4ft used to ship tobacco are nearly 4X as thick as a normal box and.are "stitched" together with metal to carry the heavey weight. The key to shipping is to choose the right box made for the weight you need or reinforce it as has been said and tightly pack everything so no movement occurs.

Tatume
03-03-2013, 09:00 AM
PM sent.

toddrod
03-03-2013, 09:28 AM
I also glue all the flaps together

gotin
03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
I used to build a second box inside of the PO box from cardboard. Then stack the ingots and fill the extra space with pieces of stirofoam (the white panels builders use to insulate walls and attics), then use filament tape to wrap the box on the outside and after that clear tape to wrap the whole box again.
I shipped about 5-6000 lbs of lead like this without a single damaged box. The PO lost one somehow, but all that were delivered were intact. As long as the lead is not moving inside you will be OK.
Be careful to stay under 65 lbs total (the cardboard will add about 1.5 lbs to the weight), I had some boxes returned because supposedly they were over the 70 lbs limit (they were all 67.5 lbs) and I had to take them back to the PO and shipped them again (with the same label).

Phoenix
03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Shrink wrapping the ingots together to make them one solid mass, Then filling the voids around the edges. Tape all seams and edges. Cross tape the box. I use Poly banding crossed over the box. None have ever had an issue. The boxes always get there, they may be shredded but the contents are there. Never had an issue once this was done.

Beware using priority mail boxes inside other priority mail boxes. It is illegal to use an unused priority mail box for any purpose than to ship priority mail. The rule specifically says you cannot use the boxes as packing in another box. Not saying anyone will care but is it worth the chance of being the first?