PDA

View Full Version : Need some health coverage advice from the Northern NY Guys......

Dan444
03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

Later this year, I will be retiring (62 yr. old) and my wife and I will be retreating permanently to our place in Franklin County. When I leave my company, we will no longer have company-provided health insurance; so, we will need to obtain health insurance from age 62 to age 65. This will be the first time since entering the workforce 40 years ago that I have not had company provided insurance (although I currently pay a $600/mo employee contribution); so, I know nothing about this subject.

Could someone recommend a good insurance co./medical plan to go with? Approximately, what should monthly medical coverage cost us (we don't have any existing health issues)?

Now, for those that help me out a bit, I buy the beers....or better yet, I have a private outdoor firing range in Franklin Cty that I'll take you to for all the shooting that we want to do and.....I'll buy the beers afterward.

Best,
Dan

NSB
03-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I really don't know much about it but some people I worked with a couple of years ago had an insurance called HealthyNewYork. It was for people who met certain income requirements and for kids who weren't covered by health care. You can google it and see if it's still available. Good luck.

Beekeeper
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Dan444,
Before you buy and bail from the company check with ( I guess it is called human services) as you might be able to continue a carryover of the existing health insurance.
If not for the $600 a month you might be able to get the insurance company to write a policy for you.

Just a thought

beekeeper

shooter93
03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Good luck Dan. Shop around which depends a lot on your state. We don't have many major Health Insurance companies here and they all seem to be the same price....imagine that. Coverages will vary a lot...ie...numerous plans to choose from. Ones covering drugs generally being considerably more but often worth the money. You may also want to ask what they offer in Medicare supplement plans too...you will need that at age 65...trust me on that. I've been buying my own Health insurance since I was 19, what I wouldn't have given for a 600 a month payment. To insure two of us with a pretty deceent policy but one that is WELL below what public employees here recieve is currently 22,000 bucks a year....yep...22k ( and it looks like I'm also going to get fined under obamacare for being too insured, a cadilliac plan). I hope you find something good and affordable but you always have FREE Obamacare to fall bck on right???...lol.

WILCO
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Could someone recommend a good insurance co./medical plan to go with?

Welcome aboard Dan!

Here's a link you can look at:

http://money.cnn.com/retirement/guide/insurance_health.moneymag/index.htm

Also, stop into HR and ask questions.

fecmech
03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Dan if your income is low enough look into Healthy NY. If not things are going to get expensive for the next 3 yrs I'm afraid. You might want to look into your HR dept as others have suggested and look into Cobra ( picking up your company policy). Once you get to 65 and can go on Medicare and Medicare advantage plans it will get much easier.