PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 14-3 Need information

DRNurse1
03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I have a 14-3 with a target trigger and hammer with a 6 inch bbl. I am working on my DR so I do not want to sell or trade right now but I noticed an oddity with the BBL: it is stamped 'MITH & WESSON" rather than Smith & Wesson. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Primary sources for this information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance and I appreciate y'all considering this request.

DRNurse1

BTW if I am in the wrong thread with this post, please ask the Moderators to move it.

DRNurse1

tinsnips
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I have the same gun but everything is spelled right. My guess is the guy who stamped it might have the same spelling ability as I do. Short of calling S&W for the answer it is most likely just a mistake from the factory.Sorry I can't be of more help.

GabbyM
03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
The S was probably stamped light then polished off upon finishing.
Or the stamp tool just broke the S off. I've used a couple failrly funky roll stamp tools in CNC lathes. A 14-3 barrel. if those are from the sixties and seventies. Would of been turned on either a manual or copy lathe (patern tracing machine).

There is also a posibility the gun has been re blued. With a need to remove rust pits casuing the jobber to buff off the letter. You'd be able to check that with caliper meassurements of barrel concentricity as the buffing may of made the barel out of round in that area. If the smith chucked barrel in lathe to buff it only the contour would of changed. You'd need another M-14 to compare contours. You'd need to be getting pretty bored to go to the trouble. I'm no collector but can't see any value. But that's why I'm not a collector. Just dawned on me. the barrel could be under spec in diameter under that S causing a roll stamp to float over the metal. Those roll stamps can be real hair pullers at times. Then run for weeks untouched.

Olevern
03-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Unlike in coin collecting, where mis-stamps and errors are sought after by collectors and higher prices are assigned to them, in guns values are seldom enhanced by stamping errors. Use it and enjoy it; it's a fine piece and one that I've not been able to add to my collection of shooters yet (although I do have the much sought after K-32 masterpiece and several K-22's). K-38's are not that rare, so I will eventually find the right one and add it to my collection. I may sell my K-32, though, as a collector has offered $2,500.00 for it and I rarely shoot it anymore since I got into 32 H&R magnums and the .327. They are much more suitable field calibers.

blackthorn
03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
The upside is that if the Govt. tries to confiscate it you and just say "well I thought I had one of those guns but it was just a "MITH"!!

DRNurse1
03-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Thank you all for your help. I do plan to shoot this but I was not sure the barrel was a S&W or if it may have been replaced. Seems to shoot fine so that seems unlikely. As far as polishing or buffing, than would have left a dimple next to the M, which appears to be consistent depth, wouldn't it? I am not a gunsmith or machinist so I may be missing something and would appreciate any clarification you can offer.

@Olvern: I appreciate your insight into collectible status. I probably would have to reconsider using it if it was crazy valuable, so I am happy I can use this without unduly affecting its value.

@Blackthorn: I am sorry you folks have to endure without the firearm of your choice up there. I am about 3 hours south of Montreal, so if you are inclined to travel I would be happy to let you try out this fine revolver and the other delightful handguns in my small collection. Though I do like the way you think, folks around here may not look fondly on the letter of the law versus the spirit if it comes to that.

blackthorn
03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Well thanks for the offer to come shoot. After years of struggle we finally got back PART of what we lost when the current Conservative govt. got rid of the requirement to register long guns. We still have the stupid requirement to register handguns (since 1934) and the restrictions on owning certain handguns has not been repealed even back to where we were when the Liberals stuck us with their restrictive legislation! When they did that I was able to hang onto my right to buy ALMOST any firearm I wanted due to a grandfather clause. The fight continues!!! I have a deep concern for the people in the US with your Democrat pres. who, as far as I can see is a Liberal with a different name! At least (for now) you have the 2nd amendment to help you! We have nothing similar (more's the pity)! Good luck!

DRNurse1
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Oops, I ment to PM.

GabbyM
03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
update.
I thought I was a for sure to buy an M-14 dash one. On gunbroaker.
auction ended as I slept but My bid was my top dollar. . Gun went for $605.
It was a nice 14-1. Photos looked pristine. I think the dash one was what got it done at a price of a new S&W M-14. I’m not a collector but a shooter. I was asleep short of third shift. Jst a heads up t any M14 owners out there. Don’t be giving them away . Looks like new price for the old guns.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330874177

If I’d of been awake I’d of probably bumped it up another notch. M15’s are still going for under $500. Bought one last week for $465 to replace one of the two I gave away to my daughters for Christmas. $350 last year was a high price according to my dealer. $465 this year is AKA same price with Obama inflation figured in. Yep it sucks but I have revolvers and I know what it would take to break them loose.

What I know is I can hit a milk jug at 100 yards with a 90 year old K frame 38.
Try that with a plastic Ghetto blaster.

TCFAN
03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
I have a 14-6 that is my very favorite revolver. Just put the red dot on what you want to hit and it gets done. I shoot mostly wadcutters with some round flats and semi-wadcutters thrown in all over 3.5 grs of Bullseye..............Terry

DRNurse1
03-07-2013, 03:10 AM
You folks are right about these Model 14's I do not shoot revolvers yet, but took this to the 25 yard bullseye range and managed an 89 rapid fire stage with Winchester White Box ammo and open sights. It is a nice shooter as is and when I figure out what it likes to eat, I think I will do okay in the DR matches.

I am trying to get up to speed with all the stuff you wheel gunners already know. Thanks for the threads on this site and all the great tips.