PDA

View Full Version : Mica powder, yea or ney?

DanM
08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I have always used a little mica on bottleneck case mouths when sizing, but never tried it on my boolits. I did put some on my last batch of TL boolits, and they are a little easier to handle. Not sure yet, but they may leave less lube residue in the seater die. Anyone use it regularly?

Shuz
08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I regularly use it if neck sizing rifle cases. I also use it on any boolits that have ben lubed with the NRA ALOX/beeswax formula. Works great on both!

Powderpacker
08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
I apply mica over any lube that remains sticky or tacky . Makes the boolits easier to handle and less likely to pick up abrasive grit. At the range , when the light is right , other shooters enjoy watching the 'vapor trails' of excess mica as the boolits head down range . Low cost tracers for the easily amused .

walltube
08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
beautiful, marvelous, wonderful powder to coat freshly lubed boolits.

OK, that said allow me to bore Ya'll with a post-Katrina happy story.

Every pistol boolit sized\lubed, rolled in mica, stored in open containers ( large plastic Folger coffee ) that were drowned in 21' of Katrina water for 18 days survived pratically unscathed. I am convinced the magic was in the mica. I've just loaded up 50 pre-Katrina 358477's into some .357 hulls ahead of 3 gr. of Trail Boss. My very first re-loads of any caliber since Aug. 29,'05.

Rifle boolits did not fare as well. The unlubed "mica free" portion of the nose (ie 311-290) are covered in that white powdery lead oxide. Back to the smelter for them.

If'n Ya'll want, I'll do my level best to post pix if can and Ya'll can see what.

Y.T.,

Wt.