PDA

View Full Version : Post surgery pastime

softpoint
03-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I am scheduled to have rotator cuff repair on the 12th. Arm in a sling from 4-6 weeks. One of my friends has had this on both shoulders, and tells me after a few days you can use your fingers on the affected hand, the sling is there to prevent movement of the shoulder, and damage to the new repair before it is healed. He is an occasional reloader who doesn't cast, and didn't try any of this activity while he was recovering. I'm sure that as common as this surgery is now, there are folks here who have had it. Were you able to cast and/or load while you were recovering? I will have weeks here pretty much confined to the house, and sure would like to spend some of that time doing what I like to do. Friend said he could type, so I'll be hanging around here more too (warning.LOL):coffee:

2HighSpeed
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
My parents where in a nasty tractor trailer accident when they owned thier own trucking company back in 2006. (They where cut off, dad tried taking it to the shoulder so he wouldn't hit the other car, low shoulder, lost control and truck flipped on its side then proceeded 300ft down a ravine on its side.) Dad had many broken ribs and dings, he's lucky cuz he wasn't seat belted and the door was sucked off as it started sliding down the ravine. Mom was in the sleeper berth when it happed. All the contents of the cab ended up entrapping her. Well the worst of her injuries was her shoulder, it was completely crushed. She had to have surgery to fix it, rotator cuff was completely blown. 11 metal plates and 42 pins later her arm is put back together but she had to sleep upright dr 2 months, still doesn't have 100% range of motion, and she still had pain from the plates. I'm sure your surgery won't be as detailed as hers (her arm was broke in 9 places), but when you have any rotator cuff injury physical therapy is the key. Don't skip it. If you don't go you won't get your range of motion back in any manageable form. She missed 2 sessions, and has a stimulator for her arm and shoulder. She's getting more range of motion slowly, 7 years after the accident she's at about 80% pre Injury.

softpoint
03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, my Dr. told me a full recovery could take 6 months or more, and I only have 1 tendon torn. He will try the less invasive surgery(arthroscopic?) unless he sees more damage when he gets in there. Torn cuffs never get better unless you do have surgery, he says, all you can do is treat the pain with medication and cortisone, and that goes on forever, so I'm going to have mine fixed surgically, and hope for the best. Looks like I'll get some one handed practice in with my pistols for awhile:)

snuffy
03-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Had mine done in 2002. Arthroscopic repair by use of two titanium pins sunk into the humerus. Physical therapy started 3 days after surgery. Along with pain management with Oxycontin, morphine, and a bunch of Vicodin. The therapy sessions hurt a lot. But I did what was prescribed. Now I have full range of motion, no pain in that shoulder, and full strength.

Mine was 75% torn loose. Happened at work, so workman's comp paid for everything. The doctor I had specializes in shoulders and knees.

You won't be able to do much with that arm. Certainly nothing that has to do with strength. I did try loading after about 2 weeks, but even doing everything with one hand got the other shoulder hurting. I'm right handed, and this was the left shoulder. I could still shoot, but only strong handed.

C.F.Plinker
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
A friend recently had her shoulder replaced. The sling she had was equipped with a back strap that kept her from moving her hand away from her stomach. For six weeks. One of her friends who had had shoulder surgery told her to forget about getting the super large tee shirts because she wouldn't be able to take the sling off and couldn't move enough to get the tee shirt on and over the shoulder. Her advice to my friend was to go the the thrift store and get several mens shirts at least 2 sizes too large. This way you could put the shirt on over the sling and still manage to button it. The hand on the affected side just peeked out through front opening between two buttons.

When they say they don't want you to move the shoulder they are serious about it. I'm sure that there are others here that will have plenty of advice about how you wil need to do the daily activities that suddenly become much more difficult when you can't use the arm and hand as usual.

Start wearing a sling now so you have some time to practice life with out the use of one hand. Think of things like combing your hair, brushing your teeth, shaving, tying your shoes, putting your car into gear, typing on the 'puter, etc.

Goatwhiskers
03-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Softpoint, it probably won't be that bad. My wife has had both done, one 2 years ago when a horse squeezed her against a gatepost, then a year later the other one just blew out as the Dr. said it would. Both times he had her in therapy a week after surgery, 3 days professional and 4 days I got to do it at home. Payback is sweet! Released in 6 weeks, she is now about 99%. The thing is to do Exactly what the medics say and you'll be over it in short order. By the way, she was able to drive with the sling on. GW

dragonrider
03-02-2013, 06:37 PM
In 05 I had arthroscopic surgery on both shoulders. Tendons where torn completely. According to the surgeon there was not much to work with and so they never healed correctly and now 8 years later my best option is to have both shoulders replaced. Something I am not looking forward to. May have the right done this year. Don't know if I will get the other done. I can't shoot more than twenty rounds, handgun or rifle, without major pain that last several days. Can't do my regular job so have been on alternate work since 05 and loosing about $45,000 a year. Hope you fair better.

Kraschenbirn
03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Had my rotator cuff surgery (arthroscopic) on Jan. 8th and was only in a sling for 4 or 5 days. Started physical therapy the day after my stitches were removed and, after that, it was just a matter of gradually working my way back into using my right arm normally. This coming Tuesday will be 8 weeks since the operation and I've pretty much regained full range of motion but am still somewhat 'weak' on that side...in other words, I've got to be careful of how much I try to lift or pull with my right hand.

Before my surgery, I'd cast up a stock of boolits and prepped (cleaned, sized, & primed) practically every piece of brass in the workshop. Afterward, as I regained motion, I did a lot of lubing/sizing and reloading. I'm right-handed so it was kinda slow going 'til I got the hang of pulling the handle left-handed and only using the right to set boolits/brass in place...but, what the heck, it was better'n sitting in front of the idiot box and I've now got about 6 months worth of ammo on hand.

As the surgery was on my strong-side, I stayed away from the range until last weekend (6 weeks) and then only shot a couple of my .22s (and, weather permitting, I'll probably do the same tomorrow). Physical therapy dept. released me last week (I'm still doing a daily regimen of excercises at home) and have what should be my last post-op check with the surgeon scheduled for first thing Monday morning, though, and will see what he says about going back to shooting my centerfires then.

Best advice I can offer is to follow your doctor's (and therapist's) instructions and don't try to do too much too soon. If yours goes as well as mine, you'll probably be back to near-normal activity in 60-90 days.

Best of luck.

Bill

softpoint
03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I intend on doing the Dr's instructions closely, I've read other accounts that people have stated that is the key to recovery. If I can use the hand a little, though without moving my shoulder, I'll be able to reload, don't know about casting. I can go slow, won't have nothin' else to do! I wonder about driving, though. One fellow I read about thought he was fine with driving, an auto transmission, but someone pulled out in front of him, and when he slammed on the brakes, he stopped some of his forward motion with his injured arm against the steering wheel. Tore his repair loose, as it had just started to heal OUCH! he had to have the whole thing redone. Of course anything can happen at any time, and i'm sure he didn't fore see that. (and I kinda wish I hadn't read about it:roll:)

MtGun44
03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
+1 on listening to the Doc. I have had a dislocated shoulder and he warned me that if I
started using it before he said so, it would be very likely to pop out again and then be
permanently inclined to pop out easily. I did what he said and have never had another
problem in he following 30 yrs. He said that shoulders heal well the first time, but if
not fully healed and reinjured, it may be permanently unable to totally heal.

I don't know about you, but I am well into the 'try to preserve the machinery' phase of
life.

Bill