PDA

View Full Version : Brass gone

Revolver
03-02-2013, 11:00 AM
My brass disappeared into the snow so quickly that I could only find 1 out of 20 pcs when I was done shooting. I guess I'll find it in the spring. It was 7.62x39 too, Rats. :roll:

km101
03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
By the time you find it in the spring, it may be so corroded that it's unusable. How deep...........never mind, I just noticed where you are from!! LOL I guess digging for it might not be an option? But you might mark it on your GPS!! :Fire:

Hardcast416taylor
03-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Another use for those cheap blue tarps when there is snow.Robert

4719dave
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
blue tarp lol ... hope it was ber primer ...........no snow down here but the wife got the heat working .....

blackthorn
03-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Other than some possible discoloration the brass will be fine when the snow melts! The thing to watch for as you clean it up are any copper-colored spots that are more than surface deep. If you have those spots there may have been some leeching(?) (dezincification)of Zinc from the brass, but in the short time left until spring that is highly unlikely.

DCM
03-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Brass catchers can be made from 1/2" PVC and netting from the fabric store also, I looked at fish nets but most were too small with too large of holes.
A loose kinda floppy net works better than a taught one, with the taught one brass tends to bounce out.
Both tarps and brass catchers are great year round.

runfiverun
03-02-2013, 01:23 PM
i learned long ago about shooting some guns in the winter.
the sks sees ONLY berdan primed steel cases, so it's not a big deal.
bolt guns and revolvers are wintertime shooters,leverguns are okay once you learn to flick and catch the brass.

i made a couple of brass catchers from a laundry bag stand, it was made from pvc pipe and mesh bags.
so i disassembled it and reconfigured it into a rectangular frame and pulled the bag over the frame then cinched the top closed.
then added a leg for it to lean on the bench which sticks out the cinched top..
for stand up pistol shooting the tarp is cheap, and pays for itself pretty quickly.

Digger
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Your aim has to be good both ways ... target and ...
Was putting a few rounds down range the other day with the garand and there was a young couple next to me with the wife standing behind , watching the husband shoot ...
I let one round go and heard a hollow "plunk" , stopped and looked around , she gave me a grin and I thought " what the ?" .... looked in my plastic bucket to my right and back a few feet and there was the shell ...
She was laughing and said " do that again !" ....
Sure had fun trying the rest of the afternoon ......:mrgreen:

Shooter
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Can you say "Metal Detector"? There, I knew you could.
People used to laugh at me using one for my .45 ACP match brass. At todays prices, no one will.

Artful
03-02-2013, 01:42 PM
to keep brass in places with bad weather - either tarp/ground sheet - or I used to put a pad in the back of the pick up (had a canopy on it) and back up to the firing line and lower the tail gate and shoot prone from the back - 90+% of brass stayed inside - but you had to wear plugs and muffs and you wanted the muzzle to extend beyond the rear of the canopy.

Wots
03-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Got tired of chasing the brass from my AK. Real happy with this Rigid Brass Catcher from http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html

BD
03-02-2013, 10:54 PM
I would have thought that a guy with the handle, "Revolver", who lived in Maine, would have figured this out before now?

Boerrancher
03-03-2013, 12:21 AM
No matter how much I want to I won't shoot anything that I am short on brass for in bad weather and snow, unless I am hunting then I don't mind losing a piece or two for the hunt, but not to bust rocks and punch paper. Even with a bolt or lever gun you can sure kick out a few empties on the ground in different spots while shooting at a running coyote on the next snow covered ridge over before the yote piles up dead.

Best wishes,

Joe

P.K.
03-03-2013, 07:57 AM
X10 on the ground sheet/tarp. Makes for policing up on gravel so much easier too. ;-)

dagger dog
03-03-2013, 11:56 AM
You haven't chased brass until you've owned a MINI 14, you have to put your brass catcher 30' in front and to 10' to the right, then you may catch 1/2 .

blackthorn
03-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I would have thought that a guy with the handle, "Revolver", who lived in Maine, would have figured this out before now?

Well---if you shoot a revolver you don't really have to worry about brass in the snow---unless you are REAL clumsy!

John Guedry
03-03-2013, 06:33 PM
We don't shoot in snow.

Artful
03-03-2013, 09:56 PM
You haven't chased brass until you've owned a MINI 14, you have to put your brass catcher 30' in front and to 10' to the right, then you may catch 1/2 .

move your sheet/tarp closer to the shooting station put a couple of rebar uprights and have a wall for the brass to hit and roll onto the floor of the tarp - Use spring clips to attach tarp to rebar that you pounded into the ground.

- And you have not seen brass fly until you use HK91/G3

DCM
03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
- And you have not seen brass fly until you use HK91/G3

YUP! You need a spotter if you have any intent of recovering your fluted brass.

Ramar
03-03-2013, 10:49 PM
I use a green cargo parachute; must be 50' diameter.
ramar

Revolver
03-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Can you say "Metal Detector"? There, I knew you could.
People used to laugh at me using one for my .45 ACP match brass. At todays prices, no one will.

Too late, I've plowed twice since then. Now it's locked up in a snow bank... nice & safe for withdrawal in the spring. :)

uscra112
03-04-2013, 01:08 AM

Not if you put buffers front and rear on the actuator slide. Mine got down to ten feet to the front and +/- 5 feet side to side. Still ain't taking it out in the snow, however.

Big thing about Maine is that, after the snow melts, its mud season. Been there, seen that, moved South.

Dale53
03-04-2013, 01:25 AM
I built a brass catcher out of a minnow net (from Bass Pro) and an extra inexpensive tripod I had taking up space:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QBrassCatcherSelects-1799.jpg

Dale53