PDA

View Full Version : Nice day out with the wife

Olevern
03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Got up this morning took the Mrs. on a road trip. We do this one about every three or four months, to a town about 100 miles away which has two nice gun shops, both large but one really big. My wife likes to go to the mall there, and to the Ollies (for anyone who knows what that is), so I drop her off at the mall and then take my leisure visiting the gun shops.

We usually then (after I pick her up from the mall) go out for a nice lunch, stop off at the super Walmart to stock up on some things, then head home.

This trip was special, 'cause I went with some mad money to purchase a brand new Weatherby Vanguard II in .257 Weatherby Magnum, which the larger of the two gun shops had made a large purchase on and was offering for $495.00.

I have been planning for this purchase for some time, already had a large stash of jacketed bullets (probably 25-26 hundred, including some barnes TSX that shoots like a house afire in my .25-06. I recently picked up some used brass here on the forum, and bought two boxes (40 pieces) of new brass from Midway.

Everything went according to plan; arrived in town, dropped my wife off at the mall, headed over to the big gun shop to make my purchase. Before I went to the counter to look at the new guns, I decided to look thru the used ones out on the floor, just in case I might find a Mk5 used in the desired caliber that I could afford. Well, they had about fifteen used Weatherby's but the only used .257 they had was an older Vanguard. It had a nice wood stock and a Nikon 3X9 scope and was priced at $695.00. They had eleven used Weatherby's Mk5's in various calibers, but, again, none in the desired caliber. I did look very carefully at a Vanguard in 7mm-08, very slick action and a tasteful green stock (don't know why, but I liked this one).

Proceeded to the counter and asked to see one of the Vanguard II's on sale (in .257 Wby) Salesman brought me one and I looked it over. He also brought me a new Vanguard in the caliber to compare with. He told me that the Vanguard II had a safety feature (bolt will open with safety) and the stock had been upgraded from plain black synthetic to a nicer, dual tone grey one. While he went off to call another customer's purchase in, I spent some quality time comparing the two. Interesting thing, the now discontinued Vanguard (I guess we could now call it the Vanguard I?) was priced considerably over the on sale new model. When the salesman came back, I questioned him about this; his response was that they bought such a quantity of the new ones so that they would be able to offer the special sale price, but agreed with me that the two Vanguard I's they had left, inasmuch as they were now discontinued, probably should be priced under the new Vanguard II's. He went away to consult with a boss.

Now, I actually liked the original Vanguard better than the Vanguard II; at least the two samples I had in front of me. For one thing, in operating the bolts, the Vanguard I was slicker of the two; not by much, but noticeable. Also, the safety lever on the Vanguard I was more substantial than that of the II; it looked like when they revamped the Vanguard, they cheapened at least that part so that it now is just a bent piece of metal.

Well, salesman came back and stated that he was re-pricing the two remaining Vanguard's (original models) at $379.00.

So....I divided the money I had brought to purchase one rifle and put half down on the Vanguard I at $379.00 and half down on the used one out on the rack in 7mm-08 (which was priced at $495.00)

Wandered over to the reloading counter to see what they might have that I could use, they had a two box (of 100) limit on primers but had plenty; a one box of bullets limit (good selection) and a one pound limit on powder (also good selection) I picked up a lb. of 2400 as I am getting low.

Never really looked over a Vanguard (had several MK5's in the past and own two now and love them). I guess I just always dismissed them as a Weatherby wanna be, but, now that I have looked them over carefully I find that I may just have been missing a really nice rifle. I have also owned a Howa rifle and it shot very well, and these are nothing more than a Howa marketed by Weatherby....made in Japan and quality.

Hope these rifles live up to my expectations....when I am able to pick up the lay-aways I will begin load work-up.

I plan on making the .257 Wby. a "sendaro" rifle for long distance deer in Pa.....now before ya start, I know we got no sendaros in Pa., but we do have cleared gas pipelines, which allow much the same kinds of long distance shots as the sendaros.

Well, to get back to the day out with the wife, nothing much different than planned; we ate out at the Mrs.' favorite restaurant (the seafood place) and did some staples shopping at the Walmart, then headed home to arrive at about 7:30 p.m.

I explained to the Mrs. what a smoking deal I got and I think I heard a yawn as we headed into the restaurant. Don't think she was impressed past reminding me to enter them into the log with actual market values when I got home so that she could get the maximum amount of money for them in the event of my untimely demise (she is planning an extended trip to Hawaii with the gun money if I pre-disease her) Whenever I bring a new (to me) gun into the house, the Mrs. says to me "more money for my Hawaii trip?" I don't know about you, but that sounds a bit cold to me (but it's all in good fun).

Anyway, great day.

I also picked up a box of Nozler 30 cal. 125 grain ballistic tips at the Walmart.

AricTheRed
03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Wifey & I went to Hawaii this January. If she goes before I do I think I'll sell all her stuff & move there. We went to Kuai. I gotta tell you I think I could live there as a homeless person. Scrounge wheel weights. Cast boolits over a camp fire for a nice air rifle and eat all of the free-range chicken, coconuts, & mangos you can scrounge.

Now that I'm thinking about it. I need to find a nice air-rifle for my move to Hawaii!

scottiemom
03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
good job Vern!! congrats on the new "toys". I mentioned your wife's Hawaii idea to Jim -I think it is a great idea. He just looked kinda funny when I mentioned it and muttered something about how someone better worry if he disappeared rather suddenly!!

km101
03-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Well she doesn't object to you buying what you want. That is a plus that many husbands don't enjoy. And thanks for the reminder to put a value on the gun list. I don't have that item on my list. I will have to update my list to include it.

Glad you found some good buys! Enjoy the toys and thanks for the idea!

Charlie Two Tracks
03-02-2013, 07:08 AM
That does sound like a nice day out with your wife. I'm also glad to see things showing up on the shelves.

P.K.
03-02-2013, 07:16 AM
That does sound like a nice day out with your wife. I'm also glad to see things showing up on the shelves.

Ditto!

MBTcustom
03-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Look at you go! Saving money like a fiend! LOL!

03-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Wifey and I take those kinds of trips also. The difference is she goes with me into the gunshops and I go to the mall with her.

gray wolf
03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Very nice story from a nice guy.
Thanks for sharing--------

Olevern
03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Well she doesn't object to you buying what you want. That is a plus that many husbands don't enjoy. And thanks for the reminder to put a value on the gun list. I don't have that item on my list. I will have to update my list to include it.

Glad you found some good buys! Enjoy the toys and thanks for the idea!

Be sure to use pencil to put values in, as these change from time to time and can then be easily changed. I use ink pen for all the other info and put a "sales pitch" in about the gun that can be used when listing on Gun Broker or whatever other online venue my wife might want to use to divest herself of the guns.

EMC45
03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Well done Vern! Have you ever been to Dunkleberger's in PA?

Olevern
03-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Well done Vern! Have you ever been to Dunkleberger's in PA?

Nope, but if you recommend them will have to Google them and plan a trip.
vern

Big Boomer
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I especially liked the term "pre-disease" ... whether you failed to spell that correctly, the end result is about the same. My wife would appreciate that expression. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Olevern
03-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks for pointing out my spelling error, Tuck. Actually, I guess I should refer to Post-disease, as when I am deceased, my predilection to purchase unneeded and unnecessary additions to the gun safes will be a thing of the past.

vern- living with the gun buying disease and making no apologies for it in Pa.

Olevern
03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
good job Vern!! congrats on the new "toys". I mentioned your wife's Hawaii idea to Jim -I think it is a great idea. He just looked kinda funny when I mentioned it and muttered something about how someone better worry if he disappeared rather suddenly!!

Scottimom,
after thinking about your post, ask Jim to call me every Wednesday, will you? That way, if'n he doesn't call, I can call the Sheriff out to find his resting place. I'd hate to think of my friend lying in an unmarked, shallow grave.

:)

EMC45
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Nope, but if you recommend them will have to Google them and plan a trip.
vern

I believe it they are in Scranton.

Olevern
03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I believe it they are in Scranton.

Google has them in Stroudsburg, Pa.

Nice website, including a listing of on hand gun inventory.

I smell another road trip coming (after I pay off my current lay-aways)

smoked turkey
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Vern sounds like a nice day and enjoyed by all. I think wife and I need to plan on a trip like that. It was a beautiful day out today so the wife and I went "shed" hunting. Didn't find any but we will go again in a day or so. I just know they are out there if we can just find them. Congratulations on the Weatherby Vanguards. Yes they are nice rifles. I have a light weight 30-06 that makes a dandy mountain rifle. I know you will enjoy them.

Dark Helmet
03-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Good Stuff Cheap! At least they help out in some of my ahem culinary excursions.:roll:

EMC45
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Stroudsburg is right. Sorry Vern. It is neat inside and out. Outside has a real "old world" feel to it. Last time I was there (20+ years) they were packed full of guns and gear.