PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question on Lee TL 200gr .452 SWC bullet

salbanal
03-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi. Been lurking here trying to soak in as much as I can about casting and I have a question on the subject bullet. (only one question for now, I'm sure many more to come!)

I'm new to shooting the 45 and wanted to start casting and was looking at the Lee molds to start with, mainly cause of the cost. The question I have on the TL bullet is that there seems to be a very small "land" for the case mouth. (when say compared to the more standard 200g SWC design) Which means that you have very little room to adjust the COL. Is that true or am I missing something?

Thanks and appreciate the forum!

MtGun44
03-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Seat wherever you want on the cylindrical portion. You should use a taper crimp die and this
does not require a crimp groove, so there is no crimp groove (usually) for semi-auto boolits. Revolver
boolits usually have a crimp groove and the cartridges are roll crimped into this groove to prevent
bullets being inertially pulled from the case in recoil.

Bill

Chihuahua Floyd
03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Like Mtgun said, plenty of room to adjust for OAL.
I have used that boolet in the 45 ACP and the 45 Colt. Works well for both revolver and semi-auto.
CF

salbanal
03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Ok thanks Bill. Makes more sense now!

Elkins45
03-02-2013, 09:09 PM
It's one of my favorites. Just seat to proper OAL and don't worry where the case mouth falls.