PDA

View Full Version : I have learned a lot here already!

David R
08-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I was reading somewhere (here) about Bumping up a boolit. I tried to shoot some bore riders in my 222. The nose was too small, you could put in the barrel with room to spare. I was sizing some tonight, and decided to bump up the nose. It worked. They went right to .223 with just a little extra push on the sizer handle. Well, I went and shot em tonight. I uses some unsized with gas checks seated as something to compare with. The control batch got the usual minute of a piece of paper. The bumped up boolits, 3 went into a clover leaf and the other two were only a few inches away. WOW. All at 50 yards.

This is only a small sample.

Thanks a bunch to everybody here.
David

waksupi
08-02-2005, 10:51 PM
David, I stumbled on nose bumping by accident, back in the old shooters.com days. My lucky find was for the 6.5 Swede, and made a great difference in accuracy. Now, I have a fatter nosed mold, so don't need to do it anymore. At least I hope not, as I've not had much chance to use the said mold. A good trick to have up one's sleeve, though. The bumped Swede was good enough to kill a couple deer for me.

rikkit
08-04-2005, 09:58 PM
David, what kinds of loads are you using in your triple deuce, I like tinkering with the 22 centerfires and have a Savage in 222 that I want to start developing a load for. Rich L

carpetman
08-05-2005, 01:11 AM
rikkit---I shoot the 58 grain RCBS with and without a gas check in .222 and it seems to shoot about anything. 22-250 pretty much the same. My .223 is totally different story---haven't found a cast load it likes.

David R
08-05-2005, 06:22 AM
rikkit,

Don't ask me for info, until this post, all my 222 went through the target sideways!

Naa, I was using a 22 cal bore rider that doesn't touch the bore. That is why I bumped em up. I wanted to see if there was any hope for this old savage with a rough not so good looking bore.

When I loaded the bumped up boolits, only a little bit was sticking out of the case because it was hitting the rifling. I was using starting load of red dot, I think 4.5 grains. This is a 222 over 20 guage. Great meat gun, but 222 is a little hard on rabbits and squirrels. I am trying to load it to almost 22 rim fire or so. If I can find a good load in the 1600 range, I can shoot a silly wet match with it too. That would be just plain fun!

I did trade for a 45 grain round nose gas check mold with some one on this board. Looking forward to getting it. I think that will do the trick. The gun always shot 45 grain ja*keted well.

I have a 22-250 that will put 5 shots in an inch @ 100. Same Lyman 2256?? boolit sized 225, about 57 grains of pure linotype, 18 grains weighed of sr4759 2.340" OAL. I have to weigh my boolits + or - .3 grains to get this kind of group.

David R
08-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Another GREAT thing I learned here is SPEEDCASTING . I tried it and all I can say Is WOW. Usually I have time to pick out my culls, refill the pot, dump my sprues, tweak the mold screws........... while the sprues are cooling. NOT with speedcasting like Bruce B recomends. I poured a bunch of boolits in a little time. Just one right after another.

Thanks Bruce