PDA

View Full Version : NEI made top punches for a Lyman 450

chunkum
08-07-2007, 01:03 AM
I've purchased several NEI moulds over that past two or three years. And I have been pleased with all of them. Up until recently I'd always been able to find a standard Lyman 450 top punch in the assortment on my reloading bench to fit whichever of my NEI bullet nose designs I wanted to size. Recently, almost on a whim, I decided to try some NEI made top punches for a few of the bullet designs I'd bought from them by the design number and ordered four. Today they arrived and, to my perception, there is a problem. The shaft that fits in the "socket" of the 450 is just the correct size. However the part of the punch that, with all my Lyman top punches extends into the sizing die is oversized on every one of the NEI punches. And they do not fit down into the die as the Lyman top punches do. And they don't have the ring on the body of the punch to limit their descent even if they were of the correct diameter. I'm not a machinest and so any finishing work by me is out of the question. I will, of course, call NEI in the morning and present them with this same information, but thought I'd post the experience and see if maybe I'm missing something or if someone else has any experience with NEI manufactured top punches?
Best Regards,
Chunkum

9.3X62AL
08-07-2007, 01:38 AM
I have 2 NEI top punches, both 25 caliber for #19 and #20 (I think). The punch end shaft diameter is correct for the dies, but shorter in length than Lyman or RCBS punch shafts. Neither punch shaft even enters the die proper, so their shaft diameter or length is of no consequence with these 2 fairly long boolits, but could pose a problem for shorter designs.

chunkum
08-07-2007, 02:05 AM
9.3x62AL,
Thank you for your response. The first two of these are for the #1 and #2 .224 caliber bullets and the punch end is 0.30". Another is for the # 112 .356 caliber which is a very short bullet and the punch shaft diameter is 0.38 and the last is for the Postell bullet #348A and the punch shaft diameter is 0.458". The Postell likely will work but the others seem unlikely. The saving grace will be if it turns out that the punch does not have to go down into the die to get the bullets lubed and sized. I don't have any unsized specimins of the three short bullets to try but they seem problematic. I hope I am just worrying to much. Thanks again for your input and comments.
c.

9.3X62AL
08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
These punches were done by the late Walt Melander several years ago. I had the same kind of question when they arrived, concerning tht short shaft length--because it was DIFFERENT. All turned out well once I used them.