PDA

View Full Version : removing lead from a mold

mrblue
03-01-2013, 04:11 AM
So i got some lead in my mold that has harden in the mold. I tried to clean it out with a cloth but it just wont release from the mold. Any clue how to get it out with out destroying the mold. Its alum by the way.

Wal'
03-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Get your lead pot up to molding temps & dip it in.

BK7saum
03-01-2013, 07:39 AM
When the mold is up to temp, I've used a stick or dowel to "erase" the lead that is stuck. However a cold boolit rubbed on the stuck lead seems to really "pull" the deposit off the mold faces and out of the vent lines.

Doc Highwall
03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I have even used a propane torch to heat the lead spot and wipe it with a course rag. I wonder if using a cold bullet instead of the rag would work better?

fecmech
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
I have found the propane torch method and a paper towel works great. The paper seems to be abrasive enough to wipe the lead away. If the lead is on the spru plate I just hold the spru plate in the molten lead for a minute or two and wipe it off.

runfiverun
03-01-2013, 03:27 PM
i'm more a heat and wipe guy.
i have a lee mold that beagles itself, i just wipe the lead off with a shop rag while casting and it's all good.

Huntducks
03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Lead in the mold unheard of how did that happen, you used it.....:kidding:

williamwaco
03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
If this is in the cavity, I would just start casting until the mold gets hot enough to "merge" it with the bullet.
If it is on the face of the mold I am with runfiverun.

bear67
03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
If I get any lead sticking to the molds, I heat, then wipe off with piece of scotchbrite. It works well and insulates my fingers from the hot stuff. I have welded and blacksmithed for 55 years and I know about touching hot metal--Yes I still do it, just not as often.

Bullshop
03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
That reminds me of a story someone here told a while back. Said someone came in while he was casting and picked up a freshly dropped boolit and tossed it right back down. The fella casting said "hot huh" and the fella that picked up the boolit said " no it just dont take me long to look at one"

williamwaco
03-01-2013, 09:51 PM
That reminds me of a story someone here told a while back. Said someone came in while he was casting and picked up a freshly dropped boolit and tossed it right back down. The fella casting said "hot huh" and the fella that picked up the boolit said " no it just dont take me long to look at one"

I thought that was a horse shoe?

Bullshop
03-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Same thing if it hits you on the head. Quit pikin on the old guys. Some day when you get old you wont be able to ah to ah to um, what was i talking about?

runfiverun
03-01-2013, 11:46 PM
i member the story here as a boolit too.