PDA

View Full Version : Change in for sale section needed

tomme boy
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
I think we need a change in the for sale section. I know Fishhawk is doing a good job, maybe too good. Anyway, I think we need to keep the post on there after the sale has been completed for at least a week or more after the sale. Or, just lock it, NOT deleting it. If a person needs to get a hold of the other, how are they supposed to look up who they bought something from. I know, check your PM's right. But what if the PM's were identically deleted. How do you know who you bought from.

I say lock the thread instead of deleting it!

starmac
02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
I have no problem with it either way, but have to ask. Who is deleting pm's I thought mine stayed until I decided to delete them, but I could be wrong.

45nut
02-28-2013, 05:47 PM
only members delete pm's here, or read them.
Per the proposal,, it will certainly be discussed.

tomme boy
I deleted mine on accident. Fishhawk is fast sometimes. He does a good job, but I'd like to also be able to review some of the old things that have sold. It gives you an idea what to list or pay for things. If they get deleted you can't search for it. If it is locked, you can still search. The post are still there, we just can't see them.

fishhawk
No one on staff is deleting PMs and as far as the sale threads I wait until they are down 5 pages before I start and that can be any where from 4 days to a week before they get soft deleted. If you need a thread and it's been deleted is a PM to me that hard to do? steve k S&S moderator

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
You can look at who you sent money. Who you shipped to. Who you got or sent paypal money to/from. Email notifications of PMs (if turned on) PM in history (if not deleted) There are ALLOT of ways to figure this out. Unless you dont keep any records yourself and you delete everything right away you should have some way to figure it out. Even MOs have a receipt you normally fill out which contains who you sent it too. I have not deleted one email since 1996, Yes I have every piece of spam & email and sent items back to 1996. It totals over 100,000 emails but when I need to find something I KNOW I have it.

I know data management can be difficult. This site is becoming HUGE. and keeping its size managable is allot of work. Considering I have seen S&S items down 5 pages that were only 2 days old (on the weekends) it could be a serious load on the SQL server to not delete. And I assume the S&S is not archived. The real answer for long term would be to archive S&S. I am not convinced it is neccesary or even a good idea.

fishhawk
02-28-2013, 06:21 PM
At one time before I took on the job in S&S there was over 700 pages yes I said 700+ the way this site has grown it would probably reach 700+ in about 3 months now and would again be a nightmare to find anything. As it is now it stays manageable for me and for you guys to find things that are still for sale and I am still able to locate threads if needed to be brought back up. Is a PM to me that inconvenient to do if some thing needs to be found? steve k S&S moderator

DCP
02-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Steve

Can sellers delete there threads

I ask because there was a mic (Mike) for sale. Then it was gone in a day and it was sold. It only came up in a google seach but the link was gone.

No one on staff is deleting PMs and as far as the sale threads I wait until they are down 5 pages before I start and that can be any where from 4 days to a week before they get soft deleted. If you need a thread and it's been deleted is a PM to me that hard to do? steve k S&S moderator

fishhawk
02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
they can soft delete there sale threads but still there until i hard delete them later about 60 days later. steve k

x101airborne
02-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Heck, I just wish we could see what others bought items for at what price. It drives me nuts when a seller leaves up the old thread and removes the price with a "Sold" or something similar. I dont care what they made or lost, I want to know what the current going price is by others opinions.
Is it some unfair advantage or something?
Someone please educate me incase I am missing something.

Love Life
02-28-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't understand why S&S has to be used to guage prices. A quick trip to google and the various auction sites will get you the information you need. If you can't find the information you want then list the item at 80% new price and see what happens. I see no need to change the S&S section.

starmac
02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
I could care less what items are going for at the online auctions.
There is a trapper here that sells his furs at an auction, that is just the general public knowing nothing about the fur industry. He typically gets 3 to 4 times the price for those furs than those he sells to fur buyers. Ebay and gunbroker is not much different.

DCP
02-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Here is a good example
up today, now on hold, all details gone and now some wants to be 2nd in line.

I thought it was way over priced and (now who knows)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?187229-Lake-city-5-56-once-fired-brass

tomme boy
02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
I deleted my PM's! No mod did. And yes a PM to the Mods will get the info needed as I have always done. The 60 day delete would work. The 60 day period would also give the chance to see the prices here on this board.

I know we could look to other boards to gauge prices, but if I did that, I feel that I would be putting a screw to the guys on this board. I am NOT going to do that. I usually offer a very fair price on the things I sell. Might be why I usually always sell everything I list.

I have PM'ed the mods when I have sold the things and they have been delivered. But not until then. Most of the time the adds are gone before I even have had a chance to PM the mods. Like I said, Fishhawk is on his game for seeing the sold adds. I don't think he misses very many.

Love Life
02-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Here is a good example
up today, now on hold, all details gone and now some wants to be 2nd in line.

I thought it was way over priced and (now who knows)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?187229-Lake-city-5-56-once-fired-brass

He was selling 5.56 brass.

x101airborne
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
He was selling 5.56 brass.

For what price? Is my point. If prices go up and down, ok, but I also will not bone folks on this forum because someone wanted to pay 200.00 for a rock on e-bay. Aint gonna happen. Even 80% of new on SOME items is way too dang much. I find the folks here to be reasonable and fair and only have had one bad deal (for wich I went to the mods and IMMEDIATELY recieved help. I mean he was ON it). I just like to see what things go for and what the market is and dont understand what the deal is with deleting what the selling price was. Heck, I have congratulated folks on here for snagging a deal I would have taken. No hard feelings, I will watch for next time. If it is such a need to hide the selling price, maybe it shouldn't be sold here.

waksupi
02-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Swap and sell here is just a perk. When you do a deal, cut and paste the info you need and save it.

NSP64
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
I agree with the OP, we need to change and me swapping and selling section . we could keep all the older posts for 3 months and then have a deleted but we can only let people Bid and sell stuff that have been on the forum for a year with 500 Post .

DCP
02-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Thats what I already do.

Thanks for the insight though

Swap and sell here is just a perk. When you do a deal, cut and paste the info you need and save it.

flounderman
02-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't see a problem with how things are being run, now. this is a free service, run by volunteers. I consider it a huge favor to be part of it. I don't see making things any more difficult for them than they are. Everybody needs to take care of their own business. We have a good site, run by some good people and we shouldn't ask them to do more. Anybody wants to volunteer to help, I'm sure they can find room for you. They don't owe us any more than they are already giving. I don't think we should be asking for any more. Daryl

shooterg
02-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Don't know about space but- Could sold threads be moved to a SOLD forum for say, 2 weeks and auto deleted then ?

kartooo
02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't see a problem with how things are being run, now. this is a free service, run by volunteers. I consider it a huge favor to be part of it. I don't see making things any more difficult for them than they are. Everybody needs to take care of their own business. We have a good site, run by some good people and we shouldn't ask them to do more. Anybody wants to volunteer to help, I'm sure they can find room for you. They don't owe us any more than they are already giving. I don't think we should be asking for any more. Daryl

what he said

Love Life
02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
For what price? Is my point. If prices go up and down, ok, but I also will not bone folks on this forum because someone wanted to pay 200.00 for a rock on e-bay. Aint gonna happen. Even 80% of new on SOME items is way too dang much. I find the folks here to be reasonable and fair and only have had one bad deal (for wich I went to the mods and IMMEDIATELY recieved help. I mean he was ON it). I just like to see what things go for and what the market is and dont understand what the deal is with deleting what the selling price was. Heck, I have congratulated folks on here for snagging a deal I would have taken. No hard feelings, I will watch for next time. If it is such a need to hide the selling price, maybe it shouldn't be sold here.

$175 per thousand 5.56 unprocessed was the price on that brass.

It is not boning anybody. If a price is too high then nobody will buy, if too low or priced right then it will sell fast. I'm not even sure how boning somebody is even relevant to this conversation...at all.

Picking an 80% price point is a good starting point. If nobody buys then you can 'Bump' with a price drop. If somebody buys then you didn't get hosed. Of course condition is a variable and your item needs to be priced accordingly. That is my method and work for me. I sell for what I believe is a decent price based off the market.

I don't believe anybody is hiding the price when they delete it, but it lets people know the item is sold and no more is available.

I just want to give a great thank you to both the forum and FishHawk for the S&S section. It is a great tool for buyers and sellers.

DCP
02-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Plus shipping

$175 per thousand 5.56 unprocessed.

camaro1st
02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
i think fishhawk and the rest are doing a great job with it. although they could change it so that i wouldn't miss so many good deals[smilie=1: thanks guys

Bad Water Bill
02-28-2013, 11:23 PM

I could not have said it any better if I spent a week thinking about it.

If it ain't broke etc.

km101
03-01-2013, 06:03 PM
only members delete pm's here, or read them.
Per the proposal,, it will certainly be discussed.

WOW! How's that for responsiveness? 10 min after the request is made, the HMIC makes a reply! I love this board!

And yes, If it aint broke, dont fix it. I'm just glad the whole shebang is here!

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2013, 06:24 PM
it works great as is !

Some sellers delete prices when items are sold...I guess they like the privacy or maybe the buyer requests that ? I never delete prices...I like to see them as well, but a seller can do whatever he/she wants with his post with regards to that.

Also, I always mark the OP with SPF or SOLD when an item is spoken for or sold...and that makes it easy for the MOD to delete. I keep fairly good paper records, so I don't need a electronic record and matter of fact, I like that they are deleted in a timely manner...Thank You fishhawk !

Good Luck all,
Jon

PS...figuring out a price ??? half the time, if I hint around, I wind up selling items without even posting them...I sold 2 lubesizers today...no post...Great deal for both buyer and seller !

gbrown
03-01-2013, 11:05 PM

+1 with that. If you want to keep up with something, copy and paste to a word document or notepad. If there is a particular item you want to keep up on the price of, do the same from different threads. It's not the Mod's responsibility, it's yours. Just like our society, too many people wanting others to take care to their business.