PDA

View Full Version : firearm out of state FTF transfer?

arjacobson
02-28-2013, 04:29 AM
So a person from out of state wants to buy a rifle from me. FTF transaction. Is it legal for me to sell the rifle? I am thinking it is not. The rifle is a modern non c&r rifle.. ANY help is much appreciated!

P.K.
02-28-2013, 06:39 AM
No, propose shipping to an FFL of his choice( it's law). If he declines there's a reason.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

Good Luck!

500MAG
02-28-2013, 07:05 AM
He can easily find an FFL, in his area, on Gunbroker for free and most only charge $25. If he's not willing to do that, like PK said, there's a reason.

uscra112
02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I'd smell entrapment. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

In many states he can buy from an FFL in an adjoining state, FTF. Take the gun to your local FFL, he puts it in his bound book, then the buyer buys from him. No shipping involved. Check the NRA site for detail info.

HATCH
02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
By the book the answer is no.
You can only sell in a FTF to a resident of your state.

But I can't say what your state laws there are but here is SC I am not required to keep records nor am I required to even ask the buyer for his id to verify that they are of legal age to purchase or to verify they are residents of my state.
So with that being said..... if the transaction happens in your state..... Not saying you break the law but I have sold MANY of firearms via FTF transactions and I have never requested to see ID to prove age or where they lived.

starmac
02-28-2013, 01:01 PM
If it is a ftf sale, how would one know for sure the other is out of state unless you were told. I have several times in the past bought ftf when out of state, didn't know I broke any laws doing it.

runfiverun
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
i can go to an adjoining state and buy a long gun at a store no problem.
i have bought personal property from people in other states before..

HATCH
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
I will say that the BATFE will not run a sting on FTF transactions unless you have a known history of selling doing FTF transactions to criminals.
They don't have the manpower to do it and its not worth it.

I personally would just do the deal. If you show up and the guy looks like trouble (you will know what I mean when you see him) then don't do it.
If not cash and carry.

Bad Water Bill
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Several years ago on another site I was offered a rifle at a great price.

The seller and I had been communicating for a couple of years at that time and I had communicated with and purchased from his gunsmith several times so felt comfortable with a purchase.

The problem was he lives in Ohio and I live in Illinois. Well trying to get an answer from the Chicago ATFE only proved they busied out their phone from 8AM till 5PM. Detroit ATFE answered on the first ring and was very helpful. Yes if you are meeting the person from Ohio in Indiana FACE TO FACE then every thing is OK. Then she said "my name is ----- and my personal phone here is -----. If you have any problems PLEASE call me and I will set them straight."

Some times you get good service from the horses mouth.

Yes I still have her #[smilie=s: