PDA

View Full Version : Why are noobs not allowed to buy??

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 02:14 AM
I understand the logic behind not being able to sell in the swap and sell forum for newbies untill they have somewhat of a reputation in the forums, buy why are we not allowed to post "I'd like to buy"?? It doesn't make sense! I'm sure most of us are new to the game and are in need of equipment ( I sure am ). I would not expect someone to ship the item untill it was paid for, so where is the logic??

Also I hope this counts towards my 25 postings:mrgreen:

a.squibload
02-28-2013, 02:19 AM
'Cause you might, uh, you could, um...

I don't know, but gotta admire your post-count-padding attempt!

429421Cowboy
02-28-2013, 02:22 AM
"...

I don't know, but gotta admire your post-count-padding attempt!

Took the words out of my mouth with that one there ya did lol

Alvarez Kelly
02-28-2013, 02:28 AM
'Cause you can't post in the Swapping N Selling SECTION. The Want to Buy is part of the section. It's a rule.

So say something. You must have an opinion about something. :-)

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Well I do have an opinion on a few things.....

I find it hard to ask intelligent questions with such fine stickys at the top of every forum. This site has so much good information that most everything is covered. And besides, I'm not one who likes to hear themself sound out, just because we can..... However, I have 17 more post to go so....

Alvarez Kelly
02-28-2013, 02:57 AM

I find it hard to ask intelligent questions with such fine stickys at the top of every forum. This site has so much good information that most everything is covered. And besides, I'm not one who likes to hear themself sound out, just because we can..... However, I have 17 more post to go so....

See there! One more done. :-)

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 03:32 AM
You can buy, you can post responses to others threads. You just cannot post a new thread.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 03:33 AM
The 30 days takes longer than 25 posts...

starmac
02-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Just curious, what are you wanting to buy. And yea the 30 days will likely be your hangup.

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 03:38 AM
I had some specific things that I needed, and was wanting to post in the "Wanted to buy forum" as that seemed like the thing to do, and I think your right about the 30 days being longer (at this rate).

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Well I've ordered a casting pot, and 357, 45, and 8mm moulds. Being that there is so much equipment to buy, and my budget is not that great, instead of a lyman or RCBS sizer, I would start with the lee sizing dies, and was going to ask if someone would have an extra that they would sell. I found a 8mm sizing die at titan, I just need a .357, and .451 now, and some 8mm gas checks... and maybe a .30 cal mould... and the dang list goes on... :)

starmac
02-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Sounds like you are getting there, have you checked out the vendor sponsor section.

You should also check out the outdoor section, there has to be something in there to chat about.

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 04:13 AM
I have checked out the vendor section, and have been placed on the waiting list for lead. I may also place an order for beeswax (after I nick all my wife's stash) for making lube. However I have been reloading for about 20 years, and like most, have duplicates items that I could trade for items I need....

P.K.
02-28-2013, 06:43 AM
SWAP ARMS!!!! There is a banner up there.....^^^^^^^^^^

500MAG
02-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Don't worry, the 30 days will go fast and you will probably have no problem getting what you need. Keep watching the S&S section especially on the weekend and I expect you will be able to pick some stuff up.

s1120
02-28-2013, 07:15 AM
The 30 days takes longer than 25 posts...

LOL!! you got that right! Im in that boat also.

Frankly this is a real nice place, and if you do some reading, and learning here, your count will be where you need to be for sure. Im sure the reason for the post count AND the time is to avoid the "Ditto", and "ya, me also" posts. Ive gotten stuff from people on here sence ive joined up, but havent eaven tryed to make a new post in any of the S&S boards so I did not know you could not eaven start a thread.

jeepyj
02-28-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm in the same boat but I think it has been a great way to make me far more proficient with the great site. There is so much to learn it hard to keep up with the testing. jeepyj

Blammer
02-28-2013, 09:08 AM
basically it keeps people from swooping in, making 3-4 posts and then selling a bunch of stuff, sorta like spamming.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-28-2013, 09:13 AM
elginrunner, do you need a .357 die or a die for a .357 which could be anywhere from .358-360? My experience with LEE dies are that they run just a little undersized. I only have 2 though.

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
I was looking for the lube/sizing kit for a .357 so I'm guessing .358??

captaint
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, elginrunner, .358 OR .359. I, also have some long unused Lee sizing "kits". After you (IF) you settle things with Charlie Two Tracks, let me know if you still need some die kits. Mike

Case Stuffer
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Watch the threads for what you want to purchase. I still have time to go before I can post a 4 sale / wanted but have purchased fired brass and WW ingots from three members here to date.

Reason given for the restrictions is an attempt to contol Spamers which is a serious problem for all user's groups / boards. Spamers are the blight of the internet and if anyone is unaware of this then they surely live under a rock.

Goatwhiskers
02-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Don't guess what size. Slug your bore and then go from there, you'll want your boolit to be .001-.002" over groove size for proper fit and to avoid leading. I did have to hone my Lee sizer a little to get what I needed. GW

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I will sell you a Lee .358 sizing die kit. I've only used it once, as all my wheel guns like the .359 and .360 dies on my RCBS a bit better.

smurf hunter
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm also a noob. Starting casting for .357/.38 just a few months back.

I started with a cheap lee double cavity 158gr SWC tumble lube mold. I did this to avoid the need for a sizing die. So far I've had decent success. The boolits drop at .358 and given I physically tumble in a small bucket with X-lox, I'm not sure a sizer die would be very helpful.

ratitude
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I've spent months just reading on here, even before I registered. Then I put Tapatalk on my phone and Kindle and it's even easier to check in. There is so much information on this site that I really find it difficult find much of anything to post about.

runfiverun
02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
it isn't all about lead,lube,and brass.
you'd be surprised at how many pm's go on in a day,and how many little side projects guy's are doing that isn't on the open forum.
25 posts is nothing,i think i have done that many on a winters day when i was avoiding shoveling snow or something.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
25 posts is nothing,i think i have done that many on a winters day when i was avoiding shoveling snow or something.

You are also here more than just about anyone. If you dont have the highest post numbers it is in the top ten I would bet. There are alot of members that have less than 100 posts that have been here more than give years.

45nut
02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
want to buy IS open to noobs and you are certainly welcome to buy from anyone listing in the swapping and selling area, the only restriction is to sell for reasons covered above.

I understand the logic behind not being able to sell in the swap and sell forum for newbies untill they have somewhat of a reputation in the forums, buy why are we not allowed to post "I'd like to buy"?? It doesn't make sense! I'm sure most of us are new to the game and are in need of equipment ( I sure am ). I would not expect someone to ship the item untill it was paid for, so where is the logic??

Also I hope this counts towards my 25 postings:mrgreen:

Blacksmith
02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Don't forget the Group buy section. Mostly molds but some great ones you can't get anywhere else.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't have an extra die. I just read his post and wasn't sure if he wanted die that was sized at .357 or one for his .357 revolver.
He got another post clearing up that question.

Bad Water Bill
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM
I've spent months just reading on here, even before I registered. Then I put Tapatalk on my phone and Kindle and it's even easier to check in. There is so much information on this site that I really find it difficult find much of anything to post about.

To get your count up some start by telling us about yourself and what you do. How long you have been casting. We all started out that way so do not hesitate.

Time will fly by when you are having fun here and 30 days and 25 posts will take care of themselves.:)

Edubya
02-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Just a reminder; it's easier to enlarge a sizer than to shrink one!

EW

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 07:49 PM
I found that I could not create a thread in the "want to buy section" The thread starter button/icon was simply not there.

want to buy IS open to noobs and you are certainly welcome to buy from anyone listing in the swapping and selling area, the only restriction is to sell for reasons covered above.

Gar
02-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Just a reminder; it's easier to enlarge a sizer than to shrink one!

EW

Ya right, try telling my wife that :kidding:

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
To get your count up some start by telling us about yourself and what you do. How long you have been casting. We all started out that way so do not hesitate.

Time will fly by when you are having fun here and 30 days and 25 posts will take care of themselves.:)

I have yet to cast anything, I've got a casting pot and molds on order from Natchez and Titan. So far my total experience and knowledge of this hobby has come from reading a old lyman cast bullet handbook (spiral bound), and RCBS cast bullet manual.

As for me, I work nights, and am old enough to have grandchildren, but dont. I've been reloading for over 20 years, and blacksmith and do some barrel work (for myself mostly) on Rem 700's and Savages.

w0fms
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
This is kinda amusing for me as a noob as I bought stuff from this forum before my first post! ;) It'll probably be more than 30 days before I even know of 25% of what is here though.. good stuff guys...

Blacksmith
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Another blacksmith on site.[smilie=s: If you play with hot iron casting will be easy. The hard part is understanding all the fine points of making cast work in any particular gun.

elginrunner
02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Another blacksmith on site.[smilie=s: If you play with hot iron casting will be easy. The hard part is understanding all the fine points of making cast work in any particular gun.

I havnt been blacksmithing long, in fact I just now have enough equipment that I can do it at home. Our local chapter (North East Arkansas - Blacksmith Organization of Arkansas) is very young and a great bunch of guys to learn from. We don't all have enough equipment to go around but we have hammer-ins once a month and have a fine time.

Blacksmith
02-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Lead melts at a much lower temperature than iron forges.

elginrunner
03-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Mine is an old champion with hand crank blower. I did anneal some pistol brass for swaging in it last weekend. I thought about putting a casting pot on top and not get a furnace, but changed my mind when I starting thinking, crank crank dip pour knock knock crank crank... a fellow might get confused :mrgreen:

TXGunNut
03-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the affliction. I had most of my equipment purchased before I started hanging out here but I read posts and stickies for weeks before I unpacked my toys. I was amazed by the knowledge available on this site and when a thread interested me I'd sometimes ask for clarification or more details. Some folks here have PhD's in Pb.
As you've probably already learned a sizing die is not always necessary but some folks feel they help produce a more uniform boolit. You won't know until you try.

Moonie
03-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Look, it's March already :)

kweidner
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
I lurked forever till I joined. Good people. Awesome advice. I bet my first 50 post were noob questions that had been answered many times. I love the fact everyone is willing to help out. VERY little flaming goes on. I would not hang here if there were. Been new into swaging recently and those guys in that section are the same way. Careful with that one if you think casting has a high start up. LOL. I love boolits and now swaging too. I am only buying 2 projectiles now but that will change as my wallet recovers and I order some 6.5 swaging dies and a uld design for distance in my 300 RUM. I cast and swage for everything else thanks to cast boolits.

R.Ph. 380
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I lurked forever till I joined. Good people. Awesome advice. I bet my first 50 post were noob questions that had been answered many times. I love the fact everyone is willing to help out. VERY little flaming goes on. I would not hang here if there were. Been new into swaging recently and those guys in that section are the same way. Careful with that one if you think casting has a high start up. LOL. I love boolits and now swaging too. I am only buying 2 projectiles now but that will change as my wallet recovers and I order some 6.5 swaging dies and a uld design for distance in my 300 RUM. I cast and swage for everything else thanks to cast boolits.

God, we must be losing our touch. Usually get under someone's skin at least once or twice. You can say that twice about swaging, but it's some really enjoyable and rewarding work. Especially with the work btsniper is doing.

Bill

Gliden07
03-01-2013, 11:41 PM

I've only been here a short time you will get there soon enough! And the wait is worth it!! Yes there is a Wealth of information on here and there are some beyond intelligent people!! I've always gotten GREAT information here! Sometimes there are some people with over zealous opinions and they get a little "abrasive" (like most sites) do not be deterred in the end the true "teachers" from the site will come thru!!

s1120
03-02-2013, 07:33 AM
God, we must be losing our touch. Usually get under someone's skin at least once or twice. You can say that twice about swaging, but it's some really enjoyable and rewarding work. Especially with the work btsniper is doing.

Bill

Ya, you guys must be slipping. All my newbee Q's have been answerd with respect.. whats up with that? :D

elginrunner
03-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Ya, you guys must be slipping. All my newbee Q's have been answerd with respect.. whats up with that? :D

Your probably not speaking slow enough... it seems to piss some people off in maine....:mrgreen:

s1120
03-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Your probably not speaking slow enough... it seems to piss some people off in maine....:mrgreen:

O......K....... N.... o.... t... e... d....... :D

murf205
03-11-2013, 01:39 PM
elginrunner, you might want to slug your barrel AND run a plug guage in the cylinder throats to make sure that they are not undersized/oversized for your bore. It will make determining your sizing die much easier and usually make a revolver shoot a lot more accurately. I bought mine from Carr Lane manuf. in St Louis, Mo and the cost is very reasonable. In addition, you do not have to buy a whole set, just the ones you need. I bought .355,.356,.357,.358,.359 and the cost was only a few $ each. They have them all the way to .50 and their service is quick. Just remember to clean the bore/cylinders good before you check them and make sure you use a coat of light oil in the barrel to make driving the slug easier. Good luck, and remember you have struck the information gold mine here at this site, with the nicest guys in the business that are more than willing to help new casters.