PDA

View Full Version : 300+ grain 45 Colt bear loads? Help?

quail1
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
I am brand new to the forum and relatively new to bullet casting.
I have done lots of balls for black powder and have done lead for 30 years for decoy weights. I go to Alaska every summer/fall for rainbow trout and encounter many bears. Often 10+ daily at <30 yards. I camp in a tent on gravel bars, bluffs etc. Doing everything I can to reduce any odors or attractions to myself. Freeze dried food, bear cans, cooking out of camp.
I have carried a S&W 44 mountain gun for the last 10+ years, but last year purchased and carried a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. I carry my bear spray strongside and the pistol crossdraw. I do't want to have to spray a bear and haven't had to yet, want to shoot the pistol at one FAR less. With that said I know that I need and want to do a lot more practice with the heavy loads and so I come to casting.
I'd been looking at the 300 gr Lee mold, but think I'm a lot better to ask first and not just stumble into this. I'm not a big internet guy but came onto you all doing a google search. I obviously would benefit from advice from you who are far more experienced than I am. I purchased 500 new Starline brass a bit ago, and have many pounds of both HS-6 and WSF, and other powders. I've not ever loaded H-110 or 296 which I have seen come up over my limited research. I am not opposed to purchasing powders that will optimize the heavy loads. I have loaded plenty of the 44 mag and some 45 Colt, with commercial cast bullets up to 250 gr in the 45 Colt but purchased "bear" loads.
Can any of you make recommendations of just how to start working on a load that I can do lots of practicing with and gain some real confidence that I've got a viable worst case load in? Gun weight is not a concern to me, I mostly float and nots of long walking.
I'd be very interested in loads, crimping, wheel weights use, lead hardness and any other advice to optimize this. The 45 Colt really seems much tamer to me than the 44 Mag, and from my limited research the 45 Colt platform is a great option for me to pursue. I am not looking to start any discussion of S&W vs Ruger, 44 mag vs 45 Colt. I have the Redhawk and want to use this only. I can't afford to purchase preloaded and do the amount of practicing/shooting that I want to do. Should I buy commercial cast bullets and not mess with casting my own?
I didn't want to walk on anyone elses posts with my long winded beginner questions. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Kull
02-27-2013, 12:57 PM
There's so much info on reloading 45 Colt on the net. This recent article was the first thing I though of. Not the 300+ info your looking for but still relevant and totally safe in a Redhawk.

Hope this is ok to post. All credit to Brian Pierce, Handloader, Wolfe Publishing, etc, etc.

runfiverun
02-27-2013, 01:18 PM
the first question i have to ask is.
do you really want to cast your own?
or would you rather just purchase the boolits and load them.
if it is just buy a mold and lead and make your own then the LEE would be a pretty good mold to work with.
in the redhawk i would have no problems using the 300 and starting out with 17 grs of 2400.
something fairly heavy,with a strong flat nose, pushed to medium fast velocity's will penetrate pretty well.
when dealing with a large angry bear being able to get off multiple shots is a good thing.
having them penetrate is better.

44man
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
First you need to spell "BOOLIT!"
The 300 Lee is a good boolit. The RH is a fine gun.
Use WW metal, the clip on weights, not the stick on stuff. You can water drop from the mold or just air cool them. I water drop and let them sit a few days to harden.
Get some H110 and put 21.5 to 22 gr in your load. If weather is moderate a Fed 150 primer works great and the WW LP primer works fine. I do not use a magnum primer in mine. use them if it gets VERY cold.
Case tension on the boolit is important and Hornady dies work best for me. Use just enough crimp to fold the brass to the bottom of the crimp groove. Lee has small grooves so don't over do it.
You need to determine the diameter of the boolits to fit your throats by slugging he throats but I would say .452" would work. Try a .452" Lee push through size die and if you need larger, the die is dirt easy to lap out and cheap.
This load is accurate, will make it feel like a .44 mag and will go through any bear. Your velocity will be over 1150 and up to close to 1200 fps depending on barrel length.
Use a soft lube like Felix, stay away from crayon hard lubes.
You will find your own cast will be 100% better then bulk boolits like Magnus or Laser Cast and only LBT styles that you buy are as good.
Making your own will get you down to a dime a shot. That's 10 bears for a buck! :drinks:

Bo1
02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Well said 44Man.... :castmine:

rexherring
02-27-2013, 02:18 PM
But don't size your 45's down to .430. I think 44man made a typo. .452 - .454 for the .45 Colt

I use the Lee 300 in my BH .45 Colt and it's a whomper with it and 21 grs of H110 and mag primers. I use only Federal or Starline brass as they're a little stronger than most.

Moonie
02-27-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm with rexherring, I have a NMBH convertible in 45acp/45colt and I load 22gr H110/W296 with the Lee 300gr in 45 Colt Starline brass.

fredj338
02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
My backpacking load in bear country is a 285gr LSWC @ 1000fps. I doubt it stops inside a yogi. In wetpack testing, it penetrates more than my 400gr softs from my 404jeffery going 2200fps. Same for the 310gr LFP from Lee @ 1000fps. Both cast from clip ww & air cooled. A healthy dose of 2400 gets it there easily.

tenneesse
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
My Dad and I hunted the Kenai Penn for years and he carried a .45 Webley but we never had an encounter. For a long gun we carried a Mod 70 .375 H&H (dad) I carried a Rem sporterized 03 30-06. That was back when Alaska had yet become a state and up until the Good Friday Quake. Like yourself we saw a lot of Browns and Griz but never had a moment when we needed to shoot one unless it was a meat hunt then dad took it down and as I got a little older more experienced then I shot.

Today I wouldn't not consider anything less than a .454 Casull like the Alaskan 2" just because Ive hunted with the Raging Bull and realize its potential. Not a chance I'd consider anything less, the .500 a great bear gun. This is a case where the bigger is better and any attack that I knew of it happened so fast there was no chance to pull and shoot. Two of Dads fellow teachers were mauled and survived no shot ever fired.

I'd load Hornady 300 gr XTP HOT as HOT can be if it were me if I for some unknown reason picked a .45 colt for my sidearm. I'd go for the .44 mag first and max it out.

Your only going to get one shot if you get that and if its already chewing on you best hope that the one shot is as big a you can get off. The cost and the recoil meaningless.

I wish I could go back. You have a great hunt and be safe. Im taking it your fishing??? Where? Eat my heart out.

quail1
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Im taking it your fishing??? Where? Eat my heart out.
Yes, fishing for big rainbows. All over the Illiamna area. mid Aust thru late September.

Boolits....... there I can learn.

Thanks for the replies, I will check out the article. I have read quite a bit so far. Some where I've got a thread that was written by a person that had worked in Alaska and had taken many brown bears, I believe for the state. He sounded very knowledgeable and recommended lead cast because it stayed together and didn't rely on speed. I believe the velocities were 900-1100 FPS. I will go back and find and continue to explore.
On an aside, I just stopped by a used tire store and was given three overflowing buckets of wheel weights. I had to put it in 8 5 gal buckets to carry out of there. It looks like very little Zinc. I told the manager I would be back with doughnuts and coffee for the whole shop, might have to do that weekly for all he gave me. They even helped load it into the back of my truck! Gonna be a whole lot of sorting going on. What is the recommend for the stick on lead weights?

Lefty SRH
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Save the tape weight for blending if you decide to hunt. Or you can use the tape weights as trading material. We regard tape weights as pure lead with out having to buy pure lead. Its soft enough for muzzleloaders.
Oh, that 20.0-22.0gr of H110 and a 300gr boolit is a fine load out of a Ruger revolver. I shoot 22.5gr H110 and a 330gr LFN out of my .45 colt SBH Bisley Hunter.

High Desert Hunter
02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Even in my Casull, I rarely load full house loads, the recoil is enough that making a second shot becomes very iffy, especially at the distance the AK F&G guys say a bear needs to be to justify shooting it. I load 325gr WFNGC bullets in my 45 and 454, the 45 are loaded to 1050-1100fps, and 1400 in the 454, either one would penetrate end to end on a big brownie. H110 is the powder, you will want a good firm crimp, helps ignitions, and greatly reduces the chance that you will have an unfired cartridge jump the crimp and tie up your pistol. I miss living in Alaska every summer, and thank God I live in NM every winter.

tenneesse
02-27-2013, 11:53 PM
I recall a big lake at Illliama and boy does that picture bring back some memories. I grew up outside Anchorage and left during the Viet Nam era never to return (some regret).

Ive never hunted my handloads, just didnt. Im a real .44 lover I have a couple of older 3 screw that I dear hunt with. You made a real haul on the wheel weights.

The Casull has a lot of horse power but it has a down side getting back on the target it really kicks. Big ole brownies, up close???? SCARY. I loved watching them run up in the grass above the tree line, FAST, they'd cover a mountain side as fast as any horse, amazing creature. I'd always see them when glassing for sheep and goat when we'd be moose hunting, lunch time just looking.

Have a fun trip, there is some great salmon back in the Hope village across the inlet from Anchorage, we would look for bear on the back side of the village follow the road around to the back of the mountain and go up. Good fishing good hunting.

I water drop wheel weights and they measure about 19 BHN maybe a little hard. If I'm going to pack hot I use a gas check but that may even not be really needed at 19. Ive use Lee Molds and the tumble lube with no leading issues. I did a few .45LC with my Casull but didnt do a lot of it seemed the wrong thing to do. Id plan to re-size. You'll know when you slug the gun. Lee indicates that maybe you won't need to resize if you use the TL molds but I do anyway in most cases.

Hook up!!! Do you fly fish? Ever eat any squaw candy?

Frozone
02-28-2013, 03:05 AM
tenneesse, you were on the Kenai when the bears still had a "I don't know what that is but it smells bad" attitude.
Now they are very used to people, and a lot more dangerous.

Lefty SRH
02-28-2013, 06:17 AM
One thing I did to help with neck tension in the .45 colt is to size the brass with a .454 Casull sizing die. I may have gotten a slightly out of tolerance colt sizing but when I called and questioned the die maker they simply replaced the die.

41mag
02-28-2013, 06:28 AM
I use the Lee 300 in my 454, in fact it was my first introduction to home cast boolits. I can say from experience they hit hard even at lower velocities.

I posted up a report from when the oldest grandson and I got a bit bored with the ridiculous summer heat year before last, and went out and shot one through some 5 gallon buckets full of water. I know it is from a 454 but still you can see what an impact it does make,
Lee-C452-300-RF-Water-Test (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?124036-Lee-C452-300-RF-Water-Test&highlight=)

I have run a few though my Redhawk in 45 Colt as well and they are very impressive in it too. I haven't done a lot of testing, only enough to know they shoot well out to 100yds, but if I am going to use it I just as well use the 454 instead.

If you have the 110/296 or 2400 either will get you where you need to be with this boolit. Probably the hardest thing you will have with it is finding GC's right now. If you do find them then add in the Lee sizer and your good to go. I pour mine from straight air cooled WW, lube with the alox blend of 45/45/10 and haven't had any issues what so ever. I found that if they were water dropped they simply didn't group as well from my revolvers, so that might be something to play with as well.

If you don't want to do the 45/45/10 mix yourself you can easily pick some up from White Label Lubes now, and it will save you some time sitting and stirring up a batch yourself. I haven't used his blend just yet but plan on it once I finish up with the half pint or so I have left from my last mix.

Good luck with your loads, you definitely came to the right place for info.

quail1
02-28-2013, 07:33 AM
I purchased 1000 GC's from a company on eBay (James Sage) in both .44 and .45 initially because I wanted to play around with using them for shotshells instead of the Speer capsules that I have been using. I like the capsules better just because I can see just what I have. So I hope I'm OK for a while.
The only fresh food I get out there is ptarmigan and grayling. I do pick some crowberries etc that I add to oatmeal. Everything else is freeze dried and is stored in a bear can out of camp. This has worked well for me for years. The bears have no gripe w me and me none w them.
I need to read further on swaging etc.
I believe the lower velocity loads are key to getting multiple accurate shots off if needed to shoot at all. Can anyone tell me the heaviest boolit it I could put through the Redhawk without pushing max pressures and velocities?
My shooting for this would only ever be yards at most. Insurance, need to have hope to never have to use. To date I've not had to use spray, but it is in my hand multiple times a day.

quail1
02-28-2013, 07:42 AM
I couldn't get the video 41 Mag, do I need to be logged on to Photo bucket?

Lefty SRH
02-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Look up Linebaughs Dissolving the myths of 45 colt. Great write up on the 45 colt. Google John Linebaughs, it on his website. This may answer some of your questions.

44man
02-28-2013, 09:56 AM
But don't size your 45's down to .430. I think 44man made a typo. .452 - .454 for the .45 Colt

I use the Lee 300 in my BH .45 Colt and it's a whomper with it and 21 grs of H110 and mag primers. I use only Federal or Starline brass as they're a little stronger than most.
Yep, I sure did, sorry. .452" to start.

stubert
02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
I dont' have a .45 colt, I do have a Redhawk 44 mag. It loves the Lee C430- 310 gr., 21.5 grains of 296 seated to 1.7 oal. I would be confident in that combo for bear, (I would rather have my guide gun!) You will be fine with that load from the Colt 45.

nicholst55
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Here is the John Linebaugh article Dissolving the Myth (http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm). I can state with authority that the loads listed are plenty stout, and would likely drop a Cape Buffalo - though I hope to never find out.

The Redhawk is a tank, and I suspect that you would really have to work at it to wear one out, even with the loads listed by John Linebaugh. While I personally think that the best handgun for bear protection is a medium-bore rifle, I wouldn't necessarily feel undergunned with your Redhawk and those loads.

tenneesse
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Squaw Candy is just really ripe salmon, smoked, a bear can smell it 10 - 59 miles away, not to be taken with you hunting. We would trade with the natives our fresh caught for some candy on the way home. Mom wouldn't let the stuff in the house but its soooooooooo good and added a little fun to the drive home.

RobS
02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Sound Advise

First you need to spell "BOOLIT!"
The 300 Lee is a good boolit. The RH is a fine gun.
Use WW metal, the clip on weights, not the stick on stuff. You can water drop from the mold or just air cool them. I water drop and let them sit a few days to harden.
Get some H110 and put 21.5 to 22 gr in your load. If weather is moderate a Fed 150 primer works great and the WW LP primer works fine. I do not use a magnum primer in mine. use them if it gets VERY cold.
Case tension on the boolit is important and Hornady dies work best for me. Use just enough crimp to fold the brass to the bottom of the crimp groove. Lee has small grooves so don't over do it.
You need to determine the diameter of the boolits to fit your throats by slugging he throats but I would say .452" would work. Try a .452" Lee push through size die and if you need larger, the die is dirt easy to lap out and cheap.
This load is accurate, will make it feel like a .44 mag and will go through any bear. Your velocity will be over 1150 and up to close to 1200 fps depending on barrel length.
Use a soft lube like Felix, stay away from crayon hard lubes.
You will find your own cast will be 100% better then bulk boolits like Magnus or Laser Cast and only LBT styles that you buy are as good.
Making your own will get you down to a dime a shot. That's 10 bears for a buck! :drinks:

reloader28
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
John Linebaugh lives only a few miles from me and is a friend of mine. This man knows more about guns and more about making ammunition than most 20 guys on this forum.
I've asked him what his favorite caliber is and figured he would say one of his own. Wrong. Its the 45 Colt.
John swears by 24gr H110 with 310gr boolits, BUT only work up to it in a stout pistol. We didnt get the accuracy we were looking for in my brothers Ruger 45 310gr Lee RF until he reached 28gr. Surprisingly it works just fine, but its something to hang on to.
I would NOT recommend this load. But its something to think about and it works good here.

quail1
03-01-2013, 02:53 AM
I appreciate the link.
The first year I went up I carried an 870 Remington that I built for this with some very stout slugs. Trouble was I am fishing, with gear, in intermittent rain,etc.and I quit carrying it altogether. Carried only bear spray. For the past 10+ I carry spray and the .44.
Just not feaseable to carry a long gun and think it will be ready if needed.
I am comfortable that this is my best bet. I simply want to increase the firepower that the Mountain gun can't provide and the Redhawk can.

quail1
03-01-2013, 02:59 AM
We didnt get the accuracy we were looking for in my brothers Ruger 45 310gr Lee RF until he reached 28gr. Surprisingly it works just fine, but its something to hang on to.
I would NOT recommend this load. But its something to think about and it works good here.
For this application, I need accuracy within 10 yards.
Of equal or greater importance is being able to keep on target, shot after shot until it's down or you're empty.
BTW do you know who makes that 310 mold? I was about to purchase a 300 gr Lee today and then read an old thread from 2007 in which Dan Walker of this forum says/said that the 2 boolit die and the 6 are not the same design.

44man
03-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Lee makes the 300 gr, C452-300-RF and Lyman makes the 452651 hammer of Thor at 325 gr. I also use the LBT 335 gr when I can afford them.
Chances are for a 310 gr you need a mold from one of our custom makers here, they make super molds at a decent price.
I use the older Vaquero and have killed deer to just over 100 yards with it but my eyes are getting worse. Any of the boolits I listed will go through a 16" tree and not stop.
I had to put Pachmeyer grips on my Vaquero, thing was beating my knuckle! :roll:
I have shot 1" groups with all 3 boolits at 75 yards from Creedmore position. My most accurate load is still 21.5 gr of 296 but the RH will prefer H110----DON'T ASK, I just don't know why.
I got into an argument on a site about accuracy once so I grabbed 5 rounds and went down to shoot them from Creedmore. This is what I got at 50 yards.
Yes a .45 is just great, I find nothing lacking, if you miss a bear it is you and if you don't stop it, it is still you.
I would NOT go to 24 to 28 gr unless the gun has a five shot cylinder. It is just not needed either. Buy a .454 if you need it.

reloader28
03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
My bad. I thought it was a Lee 310gr. It is the Lee 300gr that drops 310+gr from my mold.

NVScouter
03-01-2013, 06:11 PM
I load the LEE 340 RNFP made for a 45-70 sized to .452 from WW +5% pure water deopped over Lil'Gun powder.
I started using the Hodgen load data for the 335 LFN. It goes from 17g/1052fps to 20g/1206fps. They also list H110 18g/1012fps to 21g/1151fps.

I shoot these out of my 4" Redhawk in 45LC, they are a beast but shootable.

44man
03-01-2013, 06:35 PM
My bad. I thought it was a Lee 310gr. It is the Lee 300gr that drops 310+gr from my mold.
That is fine, ignore the extra weight. My Lyman 325 gr actually casts at 347 gr but the same load is still best at 21.5 gr of 296. If I go under or over, groups open. Something magic about 21.5 gr.

jonp
03-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I read the piece by Linebaugh and it was interesting but I have one question. Is he saying that the loads he is using out of the blackhawk are safe for any new model blackhawk or only ones with his 5 hole custom?

Kull
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I read the piece by Linebaugh and it was interesting but I have one question. Is he saying that the loads he is using out of the blackhawk are safe for any new model blackhawk or only ones with his 5 hole custom?

I know the load data he's giving are not for the mid-frame sized New Model Flattop Blackhawk, which are the same size as the New Model Vaquero.

Hyphenated
03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I load the LEE 340 RNFP made for a 45-70 sized to .452 from WW +5% pure water deopped over Lil'Gun powder.
I started using the Hodgen load data for the 335 LFN. It goes from 17g/1052fps to 20g/1206fps. They also list H110 18g/1012fps to 21g/1151fps.

I shoot these out of my 4" Redhawk in 45LC, they are a beast but shootable.

I was gonna say...if you want a heavy boolit, this is the way to go.

Rooster59
03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Well......I've got the 340 Lee mold. Now I need to find a pound of Lil Gun to test out the excellent advice.

kir_kenix
03-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I know some heavier loads are being suggested, but a 300 grain .45 boolit at 1100 fps will kill any animal in North America (mastadons are extinct right). You might find that the 300 grain loads are funner to shoot, and will actually allow a follow up shot (maybe its possible to get off 2 shots, maybe its not). You should bring whatever you are most comfortable with. Afterall that is what you are really looking for, confidence and peace of mind. Whatever you bring, just make sure its stoked with appropriate bear medacine.

Good luck, and have fun fishing.

fcvan
03-04-2013, 03:07 AM
I have shot the Lee C452-300 RF through my Vaquero at 1200 fps, what a hammer! I shot at an old steel cylinder and got back flattened out boolits 2" in diameter that looked like daisies. .41 Mag used to be my favorite big bore handgun but the 45 Colt has taken over.

44man
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Well......I've got the 340 Lee mold. Now I need to find a pound of Lil Gun to test out the excellent advice.
I would not use Lil Gun, it burns REAL hot not having much deterrent coating. It works in the .410 but can overheat a revolver to the extreme. The best is still H110 or 296.
My old Vaquero shoots the 335 gr at 1160 fps and it is enough.
There is no sense chasing velocity with the .45.
The .45 is like the 45-70, old as sin but they work just fine as they are.
None of these loads should be used in the smaller frame guns.

Rooster59
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I would not use Lil Gun, it burns REAL hot not having much deterrent coating. It works in the .410 but can overheat a revolver to the extreme. The best is still H110 or 296.
My old Vaquero shoots the 335 gr at 1160 fps and it is enough.
There is no sense chasing velocity with the .45.
The .45 is like the 45-70, old as sin but they work just fine as they are.
None of these loads should be used in the smaller frame guns.

There seems to be a loyal following with all three of those powders, H110/296/Lil Gun with a lot of people. Each group seems to be very set on their powder of choice. I'm still on the fence and working through the decision process studying those who know better than me. I've had good luck with Unique with std level cast loads and 2400 heavy loads with jacketed (yes I said it) 250HP Nosler bullets. My preference is to move to all cast for all of my 45LC firearms.

I was actually going to use the 340 or 300 in my Puma model 92 trapper. I've been watching a thread on another forum where RD has been using, I thought, Lil Gun but I had better recheck that. Maybe he was using H110 and I have it backwards. The thread was about the RD290 bullet which is lighter than the 340 obviously so some throttling back on the powder level is in order regardless of which I use.

My 45LC wheel gun is a Taurus Gaucho so it only gets fed original level 45 loads. Nothing hotter than 7.6-8.0gr of Unique for it. It's only for fun anyway. The real punch is saved for my 16" barrel 92 clone.

rexherring
03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
I was gonna say...if you want a heavy boolit, this is the way to go.

I've shot that same boolit with 20 grs of H110. They shoot very good but be prepared to take the skin off your trigger finger knuckle from recoil. Every time I shoot these, I use a shooting glove or the skin comes off after the 4th shot.

Kull
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
There seems to be a loyal following with all three of those powders, H110/296/Lil Gun with a lot of people.

Just to add to that list VV N350, and even more so N105 if you can find it, are excellent powders for heavy 45 Colt loads at the pressure levels we're talking about here.

JohnFM
03-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I've got a 2 cav Lee C452-300RF mold coming to try with my S&W 460.
This'll be my first venture into the big bore cast side of things.
Living on a tight pension I have to accumulate molds slowly and figure this one should be a good starting point for a mold.
Haven't decided on a powder yet, I have 4 or 5 suitable sitting on the shelf, so I'll just do a lot of work ups to decide which I like best.

John Boy
03-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Magmus 300gr Casull Bullets - scroll to 906 ...
http://magnusbullets.com/store/page8.html
It says 452 but those I've bought are 454

Moonie
03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
I shoot the load I recommended (22gr H110/W296 300gr Lee) in a 6 month old New Model Blackhawk Convertible, large frame, with ears. These loads are in the 30,000psi range and should not be used in the medium frame flaptop or new vaquero's.

NVScouter
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
There seems to be a loyal following with all three of those powders, H110/296/Lil Gun with a lot of people. Each group seems to be very set on their powder of choice. I'm still on the fence and working through the decision process studying those who know better than me. I've had good luck with Unique with std level cast loads and 2400 heavy loads with jacketed (yes I said it) 250HP Nosler bullets. My preference is to move to all cast for all of my 45LC firearms.

I was actually going to use the 340 or 300 in my Puma model 92 trapper. I've been watching a thread on another forum where RD has been using, I thought, Lil Gun but I had better recheck that. Maybe he was using H110 and I have it backwards. The thread was about the RD290 bullet which is lighter than the 340 obviously so some throttling back on the powder level is in order regardless of which I use.

My 45LC wheel gun is a Taurus Gaucho so it only gets fed original level 45 loads. Nothing hotter than 7.6-8.0gr of Unique for it. It's only for fun anyway. The real punch is saved for my 16" barrel 92 clone.

I shoot these in my Puma 92 Trapper too. I added a home made leather recoil pad and they are good at 100 yards fast shooting. I keep meaning to buy a better site system to shoot farther.

I tried Lil'Gun, 296 and 110 for these and settled on the Lil'Gun since for the same velocity it was more shootable. The pressure really starts to spike past 1,000fps with all three of these but Lil'gun handles it the best. I've shot 50 rounds of these and the pistol is about average temp. You wont shoot 200 rounds of this stuff like my 250's@1400fps due to recoil. 50 rounds of this stuff can start to numb out your hand.

H110 gave a faster, sharper recoil. No flattened primers or anything just that thing when you touch off a series of hot rounds and 1 load sticks out making you uncomfortable.

Rooster59
03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I've got a couple dozen Lee 454-300 gas checked bullets from a friend that are ready to load up tonight. Probably load them per the Hodgdon online data of 18-20gr of Lil Gun. Hoping to get time to go to the range to try them out this weekend. If not, the backyard topsoil pile will get a little perforation in the meantime.

Lizard333
03-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Really good article in this months Handloader magazine about hunting bears with a Keith stile boolit out if a 45 colt. He was able to kill the bear dead in the tree.

Make sure to practice your loads with powder on the primer and off.

Hyphenated
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I've shot that same boolit with 20 grs of H110. They shoot very good but be prepared to take the skin off your trigger finger knuckle from recoil. Every time I shoot these, I use a shooting glove or the skin comes off after the 4th shot.

I didn't say I was gonna shoot them. LOL I said if you want a heavy boolit. The 300gr boolit is enough for me. I kinda like having skin on my knuckles.

fredj338
03-07-2013, 01:21 PM

I agree w/ 44man, I think Lilgin is too hot for lead bullets, but I have not tried it. I don't think it would offer anything over H110/W296. I am fine w/ 2400, quite accurate, but only looking for 300gr/1000fps loads in my 4 5/8" RBHSS.

bigboredad
03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I have used Lil gun on a summer day and in the shade and after six rounds the gun was too hot to touch and I don't have 100% feeling in my hands

Super Sneaky Steve
03-08-2013, 12:13 AM
My Lee bullets are around 320 with lube and GC installed, be sure to use the right data. With 22.0 grains of H110 they are very accurate, don't lead, and are tollerable to shoot out of my 7.5" Bisley Blackhawk. No high pressure signs.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/ex500/SSS/Lee320_zps35294db4.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/ex500/SSS/Lee320.jpg

44man
03-08-2013, 08:19 AM
That's some sexy lube! Those boolits need a skirt. :mrgreen:

Lizard333
03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
That bear would appreciate being shot with pink lube. I know I would!!😂

Super Sneaky Steve
03-08-2013, 07:16 PM
It was supposed to be orange. Didn't work out so well.

quail1
03-10-2013, 01:10 AM
My order came in the mail today.
300 gr Lee rf 6 cavity, handles. They are tough to find. I did about 200 lbs of wheel weights today into ingots. Tomorrow I'll be trying out the mold. See if we get good boolits.
I picked up a lb of 296 this week and another 1000 large pistol primers. I'll be loading that,Hs-6, and 2400.

I booked my flight for Anchorage on Sept 3 yesterday, return Sept 26.

Hope my boolits come out looking nearly as good as Steve's!

dougader
03-10-2013, 01:54 AM
I really like the look of that Lee bullet SSS.

If you plan to buy some cast bullets before you get casting them yourself, I really like the Cast Performance 335 WLNGC bullet. Hodgdon online data lists their H110 with this bullet; 20.5 - 23.5 grains.

I settled on 22 grains of H110/W296 with CCI 350 large pistol magnum primers and averaged 1211 fps from a 5.5" Ruger Bisley.

For 454 Casull, 28 grains gave 1428 fps with the same bullet in a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk; in the Alaskan shorty the same load gave 1174 fps (quite a drop in velocity).

I've pretty much decided to use a 4 - 5 inch barreled 45 Colt revolver as opposed to the Alaskan snub-nose. Similar velocity, and much less recoil and blast compared to the shorty 454.

I've fished up on the Deshka and Russian rivers in Alaska, and also out of Seward there in Resurrection Bay. Coho and Kings were our goal, and a few pinks snuck their way onto the boat as well.

JohnFM
03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Been quite a few references to 2400 powder and a 300 grn cast in the 45 Colt.
I was just looking at my powder supply and have a lot of 2400, thought I was about out of it.
Anybody got some actual load figures for Ruger or Contender to try out?
I was looking through my manuals and didn't find any actual 2400 loads.

GSSP
03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Quail,

That Lee 300 looks like it WILL do what you ask of it. I say that because it has the weight for the penetration you'll need for a frontal shot you'll likely get in a defensive situation. It also has the wide meplat necessary to move as much bone/tissue/organ needed to put a big bear down. I believe your 300 45 Colt will put a bear down. It's how fast will it happen? Fast enough I hope!!!!

4-1/2 years back I was back up in Alaska on a Grizzly hunt. I used to live up there some 30 years back. I went with the intensions of using my 9.3x62 and 286 gr Partitions but I also carried a 4-5/8" SS NMBH in 45 Colt with the 335 gr WFN PB by LBT; water cooled. I pushed it to 1106 fps using Hodgdon's max load of 20.5 gr of Lil'Gun. Accuracy was fine and, yes, the barrel got hot but I did my load workup during the colder winter months so it wasn't an issue. As circumstances presented themselves, I ended up shooting a 62" wide Alaska Yukon bull moose @ 15 yds. Even though I put 6 shots into him, the first bullet killed him. It's just that neither of us knew it and so, I kept shooting until I ran out of bullets; 6-shots. I'd say it was 30 seconds until he tipped over. Post mortem autopsy was difficult with such a large carcass not so easily moved about so I can't tell you what the bullets did.

I've since gone to a 285 gr WFN PB by LBT and LBT Soft Blue lube and have reached 24.5 gr of H110, reaching 1202 fps from my 5-1/2" NMBH Bisley. The grip is soooo much nicer to the hand. No more busted and skinned knuckles.

If I were you, my practice would be getting off two, TWO, aimed shots, as fast as humanly possible 'cause I think after that's when things will get interesting; for the bear.

Alan

bigboredad
03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Alan

I never get tired of that pic. He's a dandy for sure

Hodaka
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
I just picked up some Beartooth 330 WFN to load for this purpose in my Rossi Ranch Hand. Everything I've read shows this action to be safe for "Ruger-Only" loads, but I have also not been able to find load data specific to this boolit. Evidence seems to suggest 21grs of H110 is a good starting point - anyone able to back this up for me?
I was previously loading the Hornady 300 GR XTP MAG with 16 gr of AA 9, and was looking for something with more oomph. (the #9 load was actually not enough pressure to obturate the case and seal the chamber)

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2013, 06:52 AM
ill agree with some of the others. 1100 fps is plenty of power with a 300 to push that bullet through about anything. To be honest redhawks can be a bit painful for me to shoot and even though they will take monster loads i rarely load them any hotter then 1100 with a 320. Even a 1000 fps will shoot through about anything. Getting used to the gun is going to be the trick. Monster loads may make you feel better but if you cant shoot them there useless. To push a 300 in a 45 colt to 1000-1100 the best powders is going to be 2400. IF you pushing closer to 1100 aa9 will work great too but use a mag primer with aa9 if you downloading at all. A standard primer is fine in any application with 2400. If you really do want BIG loads 110/296 is the powder to use. AA9 and 2400 will also get t you there but 110 is hands down the best powder for full power handgun loads. Your hs6 will get you in the 1000-1100 ballpark too and is a great powder. Try 12 grians of it to start with and see what your gun will do with it and slowly work up. A redhawk will easily handle 14 grains of hs6 and that will get you around 1200 with a 300 in a 45 colt. If you want some real rip roaring loads look for some of the articles taffin did on the 45 redhawk. the 45 redhawk and 44mag redhawks can be loaded to 454 casual mid range levels. Problem again for me anyway is there no fun to shoot. Ill also add a coment about the lilgun advice. It will NEVER again be used in ANY ammo i load. It just burns to hot and if your the type to go out and shoot a 100 rounds in a sitting its eventually going to do damage to your gun. If your the type that shoots a cylinder full of ammo a month then go for it but to me its crazy to use it when 110 will get you to the same place and isnt going to chew up your forcing cone.

bgoff_ak
05-03-2013, 02:06 AM
you said in #1 that "start working on a load that I can do lots of practicing", been in Alaska for 20+ years if a bear is going to eat you in Alaska its going to be really close. ( IE 5-15 yards. ) I carry a .454 Alaskan and the wife a .44 629 5" ( I do like the 44 a lot better because of the weight ) as long as you’re not the guy carrying a .40 or a .38 you will be fine. I think that some else mentioned it also but if we are deep in bear country we normally have a 12 ga "camp gun", I will say i have never had to shoot a bear, been bluff charged many a time though. two items to note - if you have ever shot your ( non-Pb )bear spray buy another ( they actually will smell the residue and can be curious ), 2) a little clear nail polish around your primer and bullet will make you feel a little less dumb when your waist deep in water because 1) you were fishing and forgot your gun was on your hip and not the top of your chest waders, 2) the water was deeper than expected when you got out of the boat ( float trips ) or 3) while turning the plane around you found the only hole in the lake 4) I leave this for fisher/camper/hunters choice as we have all one way or another tried to find the most field expedient measure to soak our bullets
In addition not to dissuade you, but I plink with lead, and when my life depends on it I run horandy 300 gr XTP on top of H-110. Its harder to do trial and error when something wants to eat you. I will say that I did shoot my last bear ( hunting ) with a BP encore 240gr cast .44 ( and my buddy was next to me with his 375, just in case ) lastly quail1 if you find your self up here and don’t want to buy a full box of crazy over priced full loads PM me I’ll hook you up with the preverbal 6 in the pack 6 in the rack in .44,.45 or .454 of either commercial or cast. Happy spring bear or early trout trip !

44man
05-03-2013, 09:48 AM
I just picked up some Beartooth 330 WFN to load for this purpose in my Rossi Ranch Hand. Everything I've read shows this action to be safe for "Ruger-Only" loads, but I have also not been able to find load data specific to this boolit. Evidence seems to suggest 21grs of H110 is a good starting point - anyone able to back this up for me?
I was previously loading the Hornady 300 GR XTP MAG with 16 gr of AA 9, and was looking for something with more oomph. (the #9 load was actually not enough pressure to obturate the case and seal the chamber)
The 330 will be at home with 21.5 gr of H110 too. You CAN start at about 19 gr but no need, (Cast Performance has raised the low end from 19 to 20.5, good move.) accuracy will come in with more velocity. You can go hotter for close range because you will not need as much accuracy. It just falls off a little as you increase. H110 and 296 does not seem to spike pressure if you go a little more.
I use a Fed 150 primer but if it is real cold I think the WW primer is best.
I suppose you consider not sealing the chamber is because of carbon and some lube on the brass, it is common with the .44 and .45. Even my .475 and JRH has dirty brass, nature of the beasts and powder.
I went 100% to 296 loooong ago. It is still dirty. But it works.
2400 is a good powder but can spike with an over load.
Looking for pressure signs when working loads in the .44 and .45 is futile, there seems to be no indications at all until failure. Just what do you look for? If you get a stuck case, you are so far beyond safe I don't want to stand near you. Some look at primers, please don't.
I will never suggest such high loads as some use, you gain almost no more velocity then the gun needs.
I am going to stick to my guns and say once you reach the most accurate load, no animal on earth will sniff over 50 fps more.

joec
05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
I've been loading 25 gr of Lil'Gun for my Rossi 92 in 45 Colt pushing a Ranch Dog 290 gr gc bullet with good results. Max is 25.5 for the Rossi 92 by the way. I tend to like Lil'Gun over either the H110 or the 296 but all should work as well 2400. I've seen a few loads with the Beartooth using Lil'Gun also though with less powder of course. I'm waiting now for a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull that I will be loading some of the Beartooth for also when it comes.

x101airborne
05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
I have an Accurate AM453-310C 4 cavity if you would like, I would cast you up some. It is a HUGE flat nose.

I usually stay with 250 - 270 grainers for down here, but I see you could definately use the 310's where you are going.

DougGuy
05-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Many have suggested 21.5-22.0gr H110 and 22.0 is what I have used for years behind 340gr WFN gas checks, stout recoil but it will shoot through over 32" of seasoned oak endwise, it will very easily penetrate a 12" standing pine and still be dangerous on the other side of it. This is my hog load.

This load is a little much for deer and black bear in North Carolina, but for an Alaskan brown? A 155m howitzer seems about right. Just short of totin' one of them in my pocket, I'd say take the heaviest and hardest cast boolit you can handle, drive it as fast and as hard as pressure allows, and take damn good aim.

These two loads are the heaviest and hardest hitting loads I use in a Ruger Vaquero, recoil is severe with both but accuracy is very good and no flattened primers or sticky extraction. I really don't want to load or shoot anything stronger than these in the Ruger, and I much rather not have to face an animal that would take everything either one of these boolits could do to kill it.

340gr LFN GC 1.650" 23.0gr H110 (left)

325gr FNDCG GC 1.655" 24.0gr H110 (right)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/aaf2ab91-24ab-401d-9fb5-ac9bbc084e7d_zps5f02ed83.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/aaf2ab91-24ab-401d-9fb5-ac9bbc084e7d_zps5f02ed83.jpg.html)

I didn't cast these, they came from Beartooth, the crimp die used is a modified Lee #80337 collet type crimp for .45 Colt

On another note, have you ever shot a 500 S&W magnum? Oh man now we talking!

44man
05-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah, fellas do not know the extreme penetration. I shot at a moving deer a few seasons ago. I was leading him and in the dim light I thought I seen brush when the gun went off. The deer jumped back and I dropped him.
It was not brush, it was an osage orange tree with two trunks. My boolit went through the 10" of the first trunk and went into the next. That is HARD wood!

Hodaka
05-08-2013, 08:04 PM
The 330 will be at home with 21.5 gr of H110 too. You CAN start at about 19 gr but no need, (Cast Performance has raised the low end from 19 to 20.5, good move.) accuracy will come in with more velocity. You can go hotter for close range because you will not need as much accuracy. It just falls off a little as you increase. H110 and 296 does not seem to spike pressure if you go a little more.
I use a Fed 150 primer but if it is real cold I think the WW primer is best.
I suppose you consider not sealing the chamber is because of carbon and some lube on the brass, it is common with the .44 and .45.

Thanks! I went ahead and loaded a couple to 21 gr of H110, have not gone to the range as yet (need to pack a lot of stuff, including the new Chrony, next trip out).
I think you may be right on one of the points for the chamber not sealing - also, I know these chambers are waaayy loose.

quail1
05-24-2013, 01:43 AM
I have been doing a lot of practicing since I last posted with the 250 gr boolits. I've been working on 2-3 rapid shots close in. That is the range that I will need these at. I did cast about 500 of the Lee 300 gr but only got a Lyman 4500 today and didn't want to pan lube if I didn't need to.
I have 500 new Star line brass and lots of 296 and WS-6, about 1 lb of 2400. This weekend I'll be able to get some together for starters. Probably have a tender right hand by Tuesday.
I appreciate the input across the board. You've given me plenty to consider.

Hodaka
06-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Finally shot these over my chrony- just under 1400fps out of my Ranch Hand! That should do the job...
Was smacking a 5" diameter log at 60-65 yards pretty good with it, too.

waco
02-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Going to bring this seven year old thread back to life. I have a Lipsey's Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertible with a 3 3/4" barrel on the way. I have the Lee 300rnpf mold that after PC and .452" sizing weighs 306gr. I'm looking for load data with powders like 2400, H110/296, and IMR4227
There is a lot of good info in this thread already but I'd like to hear more from you guys. I'm guessing this Ruger revolver can handle 32,000psi loads?

lar45
02-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Speer Load Data
https://www.speer-ammo.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/Handgun/45_caliber_451-454_dia/45_Colt_Ruger__Contender_Only_300.pdf

Hodgdon load data
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

The Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt is definitely strong and can handle some abuse, but isn't the recommended limit 28,000psi?

fcvan
02-24-2020, 05:57 PM
I don't know what the SAAMI specs are. Wait, I just searched, there are no SAAMI specs. I know that several powder manufacturers list load data, and Accurate says 30,000 CUP, with other manufacturers also listing data. H4227 as published by Hodgden for Ruger, Freedom Arms, and Thompson Center weapons, states for a Speer 300gr JHP of:

Hodgdon H4227 .451" 1.650" 19.0 1,051 23,600 CUP 22.3 1,202 29,900 CUP

They did not list a cast loading, so as with any new load, use caution and work up. I have a Ruger OM Vaquero (SBH frame) and an H&R Buffalo Classic Carbine with a 20" barrel. I have worked up loads for the Lee 452-255 RF, but have not for the Lee 452-300 RF, a mold given to me (friend accidentally ordered 2) but have not cast or loaded any as of yet.

My intent will be to opt for the 1000 FPS loading as I think it will be more than adequate for any tin cans or spina porcus I may encounter. I did touch off some stout loads from a friend that got my attention in the Vaquero. When fired through the carbine, I found the color case hardened crescent butt-plate was remarkably efficient at transferring energy to the shoulder with minimal loss of recoil. Yup, the only rifle that ever bruised me, and I have fired a buddy's 375 H&H.

I think with a period leather lace on butt-pad for the carbine would be close to the recoil of high-base 12 GA slugs. Pleasant, but authoritative, in my opinion. Personally, my favorite load in the carbine has been a 454 RB over 3 gr of Bullseye at 900 FPS. That load is accurate, quiet, and devastating on the wooden framing stakes I shot. Instant splinters. Regular 255-RF at the same velocity just punched clean holes through the same stakes, something I think the 300 RF would do at 1000 FPS. Wild pigs would likely not enjoy the experience, nor would large bears, at least according to a buddy who carries and has used his 45 Colt Redhawk with the 300 at 1000 FPS load in AK.

John Van Gelder
02-26-2020, 10:29 AM
My load for the .45 Colt when I lived in Alaska was the lee 340 gr. RNFP bullet loaded over 19 gr. of H-110 I did not have a chronograph so was not sure what velocity I was getting. My rather unscientific testing utilized 1" plywood panels, the above load penetrated twice as many of the panels as a .44 magnum loaded with 22 gr. of 2400 and a 240 gr. bullet.

fredj338
02-26-2020, 02:19 PM
My order came in the mail today.
300 gr Lee rf 6 cavity, handles. They are tough to find. I did about 200 lbs of wheel weights today into ingots. Tomorrow I'll be trying out the mold. See if we get good boolits.
I picked up a lb of 296 this week and another 1000 large pistol primers. I'll be loading that,Hs-6, and 2400.

I booked my flight for Anchorage on Sept 3 yesterday, return Sept 26.

Hope my boolits come out looking nearly as good as Steve's!
IF you are not looking for 50Y accuracy, don't bother with a gc imo. I have the 310gr/44 & 300gr/45 & don't bother for a 20y SD round against a bear. Cast semi hard & sized right, you don't get leading at 1000-1100fps where I like to run the heavier bullets.