PDA

View Full Version : Reloading with COLD Components

Capn Jack
02-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Anyone else out there have a problem when the components are cold and you are reloading in a cold garage?

I'm finding it is taking more pressure to seat my boolits and they increase slightly in diameter.

Probably wouldn't be a problem in a wheel gun, but they wont chamber completely in a 9mm auto.

These are hollow point bullets and I made up a seating insert that goes into the cavity, with a shoulder that
stops on the end of the bullet. Pushing on the inside of the bullet seems to help keep them from deforming.

Jack...8-)

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2013, 06:52 AM
if anything in the cold your bullets would be getting smaller not bigger. Its probalbly just that your press is cold and stiff and giving more resistance. Ive loaded in 0 weather in the old loading room and the only problem i had was a stiff operating press and a stiff operating operator.

koehlerrk
02-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Cold bullets and cases... not a big deal. Cold case lube? That can be a problem.

I like Hornady One-Shot for case lube, but if it's below 40 degrees in my garage, forget it. Gets cases stuck worse than anything else I've ever seen.

dverna
02-27-2013, 10:04 AM
You can tell the PW'ed married guys. They reload in the garage or unheated shed.

Shiloh
02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
if anything in the cold your bullets would be getting smaller not bigger. Its probalbly just that your press is cold and stiff and giving more resistance. Ive loaded in 0 weather in the old loading room and the only problem i had was a stiff operating press and a stiff operating operator.

Agreed, How cold are talking about?? 40's or colder. I have light grease on my presses. It would be affected by cold.

You can tell the PW'ed married guys. They reload in the garage or unheated shed.

Your brutal.:kidding:

Shiloh

45-70 Chevroner
02-27-2013, 12:27 PM
The older I get the more the cold bothers me. I refuse to go into a cold room and load ammo, cast boolits or anything else, I guess I'm just a panzy. Love that little electric space heater.

Bo1
02-27-2013, 02:09 PM

That is funny.... Only because I have my own room upstairs/indoors... :drinks:

TheGrimReaper
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM

Isn't that the truth. If I was single I'd have the whole house to convert into a relading paradise.