PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance on a shotmaker.

Bird Dog
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Hi, I’m another newbie to the site. My son “sisiphunter” got me into casting; however I am going for making 7 ˝ and #8 shot. I am in the process of making a shot maker; today was my first run even though I don’t have the final touches on the maker yet. I want to get the bugs out before I clean up the rough edges. I know I have seen on this web site the questions I have, but after looking for over an hour I decided to try and ask again. My shot is coming out about the right size but they seem to be half round with a dimple on the flat side. I was using full strength anti freeze as my coolant, and the shot is dropping about 1” before it hits the liquid. I think I am going to try liquid soap as the coolant, because of my hunting dogs like to came and check out what I’m doing, and I don’t like having antifreeze out in the open. I have 7 two hole drippers size .024.

newton
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't have the slightest help, but would love to see pictures of your shot maker.

jimb16
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
What kind of antifreeze? Many don't work well. Try the pink RV antifreeze or Sierra. I've used both and they work well. And your shot drop should be 1/4-1/2 inch. 1 inch is too much.

runfiverun
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
move the drop up to 1/4".

Super Sneaky Steve
02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I've been toying with the idea of getting a shotmaker. Do you guys have to use graphite on all your shot? And would my standard case tumbler be good enough to spread it around?

runfiverun
02-27-2013, 02:47 AM
you don't have to graphite it, the graphite just keeps it from oxidizing.
it's pretty easy to put on though.
add a little shot and graphite to a coffee can, duct tape the lid on, and roll it across the garage a couple of times.
a tsp will do waay over 25 lbs easily.

JeffinNZ
02-27-2013, 04:24 AM
I drop mine about 1/4 inch into antifreeze and it works great. I rotate the cans so the liquid does not get too hot.

Bird Dog
02-27-2013, 06:20 AM
OK Guys, thanks.. I will try moving my coolant closer to the drop and i will let you know how it goes. I will also post some pictures when i get my final touches on it.
Also does anyone know what or where i can get the screening material to use to sort the size of shot? Thanks again,

Rooster
02-27-2013, 10:24 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sieves/=lo1qzr

dilly
02-28-2013, 01:11 PM
I have always thought shot makers were fascinating machines. Have any of you who have made shot been able to maybe make back some of the initial investment by selling some homemade shot?

W.R.Buchanan
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Dilly: most of the guys making their own shot are doing it because they are trap or skeet shooters or some other hi-volumn usage.

The issue becomes procurring the lead, and since it is getting more difficult everyday most who do make shot are not interested in selling any.

The payback is in the cost savings between making and buying shot, which is substantial. Trying to do it on a commercial level is way beyond the capacity of the small home machines.

Randy

fishnhunt
02-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Bird Dog,
A friend of mine makes shot commercially and has a real problem if he has ANY zinc in his lead mix. Has to stop production and clean up his gear and start over. Not sure why - but forewarned is a good thing.

jimb16
02-28-2013, 08:55 PM
When you melt your scrap lead, keep the temp low enough that the zinc doesn't melt. It will float on top and you can remove it. The zinc tends to crystalize in the drippers and plug them up quickly. Zinc contamination is a very bad thing for shot makers. A friend of mine wanted to do a quick job of smelting WWs and got the melt too hot. He got the zinc in the melt. Now he has 250 # of ingots that are useless for his intended purpose! I suggested he sell it to someone who makes fishing sinkers.

JeffinNZ
03-01-2013, 03:19 AM
I have been making my own shot for a while now. I have found that I can miss clays just as well using my own shot as with factory shot......