PDA

View Full Version : new to casting.

boarder14
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
so i just started casting. i decided i would start with some fishing jig heads before i got into bullets. little less of a worry with jig heads then my guns. i got some lead that a family member had laying around and melted it up. i fluxed it multiple times but after about 30 seconds it would start to bronze then go black on top of the pot. what might this be? was wondering if it might be comtaminated lead but not sure. any help would be awesome

Hounddog
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
The stuff on top of your melt is good stuff like tin that needs to be mixed back into your liquid. Sounds like you have your melt too hot. Get the heat just above melting and you won't have the rainbow effect. Once you have smelted a couple times you'll get a feel for it.

Hounddog

Hounddog
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Oh.. By the way welcome to the board.

arkypete
02-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Welcome
Casting is not unlike driving, the more you do the better you are and the less tense you are doing it.
If you don't like the looks of a bullet melt it down and cast it again.

Jim

Cherokee
02-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Welcome, turn the heat down and try again.

cs86
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Do you have a thermometer? It might be a good thing to invest in for bullets. You can find them on Midwayusa.com. Might not matter with the jig heads as much.

boarder14
02-27-2013, 12:41 AM
jig heads turned out great but i figured bullets would be a little more important to figure it out. just waiting on my mold so hopefully it will come in soon so i can get to it

thanks for the advice