PDA

View Full Version : Wished to VENT about Gun Shop Purchase in Austin,TEXAS

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Some of you may know that back at the start of December 2012 I placed an order for a Lypse's Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless Bisley .44 Magnum with the 3 3/4 barrel.

I did so with a Gun Shop by the name of GT Distributors in Austin TEXAS of which had to be pre paid since I am 80 mi away.

When they got it in 2 1/2 months later which is just the other day I took the 160+ Mi Round trip up there to get the little Pea Shooter and walked up to the counter and informed one of the sales people what I was there for and it was Pre Paid. And he told me to take a Number. Well Ok fine. I waited about 20 min and overheard one of the sales people tell a customer that they could rush things up a bit by filling out the paper work on one of there PC stations. I wish they would have told me that. But at any rate when the PC was free I filled out my information and then they called my number and finished out the transaction for the pistol. And thought to myself before heading back I would purchase 1 box of ammo since they had it on there shelves and maybe some other odds and ends.

But get this when I took the 1 box of ammo to the counter I was informed sorry you can not purchase the ammo as it is saved for Police Only. I informed them of the drive I took and what I purchased of which was pre paid and that I only wish to get 1 box of 50 rounds not a basket full. And they would still NOT sell me one box of Ammo. So I said fine. And they started to ring up the other items and I informed them that they should stop there since I was not going to purchase anything further from them than what I pre paid for.

So to them it is okay to sell to the Police but the average Citizen can not protect themselves or others and they were very unfriendly from start to finish.

Sorry I just had to vent as this has been eating on me for a few days.

Love Life
02-26-2013, 04:50 PM
What police department is buying 44 magnum ammo?

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I wished to purchase 1 box of 9 MM ammo. But was informed they would not sell me any ammo.

It did not make any sense to me as well.

I did inform them that I would be happy to tell others how well I was treated and they could care less.

But then again there main sales are to Police and Military personnel.

Love Life
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Ahhhhh. That makes more sense (the caliber, not the policy).

P.K.
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
I'd have told them to kiss my fifth point too.

But then again there main sales are to Police and Military personnel.

I think thats ridiculious. Most not all but most military and some police would take offense to that. Knowing that sales were being denied for their benefit. As for the military personel, why buy off post when it's tax free at the PX?(when they have it.) Of course getting me back onto post is like pulling teeth.

Charley
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Number 2 son bought a Springfield XDM from Drury's here in SA two weeks ago. They were limiting ammo sales to one box of FMJ and one box of JHP defense ammo with every handgun purchased...in the caliber the gun was in. Understandable, those who weren't prepared are trying to play catchup, and NOBODY has anything in stock to speak of.
Telling you it was for "LEO sales ONLY" wasn't very bright on GT's part. I've been there, wasn't terribly impressed. Now I'm glad I never bought from them.

LUBEDUDE
02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
With the internet being their number one competitor, you'd think Service would be top priority.

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
With the internet being their number one competitor, you'd think Service would be top priority.

Why would they care about service unless you are a Peace Officer of some kind or Military. They had a wall full of AR's among other type of rifles unless you are a civilian. But they did have a few for Civilians but there was a HUGE price difference. But what good is a rifle with no Ammo lol.

Sure we can sell you that but we can not sell you the ammo lol. I guess you could use it as an expensive Ore lol.

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Number 2 son bought a Springfield XDM from Drury's here in SA two weeks ago. They were limiting ammo sales to one box of FMJ and one box of JHP defense ammo with every handgun purchased...in the caliber the gun was in. Understandable, those who weren't prepared are trying to play catchup, and NOBODY has anything in stock to speak of.
Telling you it was for "LEO sales ONLY" wasn't very bright on GT's part. I've been there, wasn't terribly impressed. Now I'm glad I never bought from them.

I sure wish John Dury Sr was still around. I will never forget Ole John Dury Sr. I remember walking in the door with my father and he tossed me one of those New darn ugly Glocks 17's that just came out lol. I mean first shipment lol. And said yes sir it is Ugly lol. And he said well they are good and dependable and would give me a heck of a deal on the Ugly thing. It was a tad over $200.00 for the thing lol. Never did warm up to it but they are dependable if you like Auto's lol.

I know that Hind sight is 20/20 but even though Dury's would have charged me more it would have been cheaper considering gas/time/Major aggravation not to mention Austin TRAFFIC lol.

Dury's is High but not nearly as high as Nagles in San Antonio with them you better have your own supply of lube when you walk in lol.

mold maker
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Watch carefully that the ammo for sale is in fact, "factory ammo". I bought a box of 41 cal at a ridiculous price only to find later, they were reloads. Talk about expensive brass..... There was even a primer in sideways.... It was a long drive and returning them would be a bigger waste.
With shortages as bad as they are, this practice is very tempting.

Artful
02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
you missed the memo
http://www.gtdist.com/forms/Limitations-STORE2.pdf

An important message from
the president of GT Distributors.

Dear Customers,

Until further notice , we have decided to continue with the temporary measures put
in place December 26, 2012. Our customer service and retail staff are doing their best
to answer customer inquires by email, phone, and in stores, but the supply situation
remains uncertain. It appears at this time it will take many months to fill the orders already
in our system.

The majority of the current inquires are for products are sold out of and and are in a
heavy back order situation. These inquires are affecting our core business of supplying
Public Safety Equipment to those who protect our communities. As a temporary measure
we are only accepting new orders ... with Law enforcement ID or Agency Letterhead.
Orders already placed will be honored and will be filled in the order received.
Jim Orr
Owner/President
GT Distributors, Inc

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 08:21 PM
That is Nice Artful. It appears what they are saying is the Public can go pound sand. But in there nice way lol.

Recluse
02-26-2013, 08:32 PM
It's Austin, for crying out loud Jester, where the mindset is that ONLY the government should have guns and ammo.

I avoid Austin at all costs at all times.

Texas is a pretty good state, but I tell people that states are made up of body parts--west Texas has the broad shoulders for supplying oil and ranching money, lot of brains in Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston area, a good digestive system with San Antonio for all the great food you can find, etc etc.

Austin is the rectum of the Lone Star State.

:coffee:

Finster101
02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
you missed the memo
http://www.gtdist.com/forms/Limitations-STORE2.pdf

An important message from
the president of GT Distributors.

Dear Customers,

Until further notice , we have decided to continue with the temporary measures put
in place December 26, 2012. Our customer service and retail staff are doing their best
to answer customer inquires by email, phone, and in stores, but the supply situation
remains uncertain. It appears at this time it will take many months to fill the orders already
in our system.

The majority of the current inquires are for products are sold out of and and are in a
heavy back order situation. These inquires are affecting our core business of supplying
Public Safety Equipment to those who protect our communities. As a temporary measure
we are only accepting new orders ... with Law enforcement ID or Agency Letterhead.
Orders already placed will be honored and will be filled in the order received.
Jim Orr
Owner/President
GT Distributors, Inc

Seems they might want to consider relocating to New York

runfiverun
02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
things must be bad there if the cops have to buy their own ammo now.
you'll like that revolver i have a blued one.

RoyEllis
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM

D@MMIT! Anyone know how to get Budweiser out of a keyboard? (just spit most of a longneck in mine):lol:

Gliden07
02-26-2013, 08:45 PM
That's not right!! I thought by law if it was on the shelf and it was priced they have to sell it to you??

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
It's Austin, for crying out loud Jester, where the mindset is that ONLY the government should have guns and ammo.

I avoid Austin at all costs at all times.

Texas is a pretty good state, but I tell people that states are made up of body parts--west Texas has the broad shoulders for supplying oil and ranching money, lot of brains in Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston area, a good digestive system with San Antonio for all the great food you can find, etc etc.

I know I know lol.

And since you mentioned food lol. I asked them where a decent place to eat was that was close. And they sent me to some place called something Burrito lol. Ended up being one of those Austinite Custom Burrito places. I am sure you know what I am talking about lol. Well I figured what the heck I was there and the Traffic was Horrendous so I placed an order for Tacos. Ok so I got them and sat down and proceeded to look for HOT Sauce lol. And saw one that Said Ultra Hot or some such BS. It was little more than Green Tomatio sauce lol. I asked them where the HOT stuff was and they pointed to what I got. I said this is Mild and there jaws dropped lol. Oh no that is very hot lol. I Knew I went into the wrong place lol. I felt like I dropped into some California town lol.

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
That's not right!! I thought by law if it was on the shelf and it was priced they have to sell it to you??

I do not know about MA. But here a business has a right to do business with whomever they so wish. If they do not like you for whatever reason or if there is a reason or not they do not have to do so.

K7addict
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
That's pathetic, Sorry to hear that they stiffed you. I don't know of any local agencies (in my area) that purchase piece meal boxes of ammo for duty/range use. If they didn't want to sell to John Q Public, put that ammunition in the back room or under the counter. It would at least save some aggregation.

I can't speak for their reasoning but it is definitely poor practice and will hopefully reflect upon their business negatively.

Plate plinker
02-26-2013, 09:29 PM
That entire scenario sounds insane what friggin business turns down a sale? Must be run by some jack wad democrat. Sell sell sell......

starmac
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I see the Austin mindset hasn't changed. lol I never liked that place anyway. lol Do they still have the flower children on the corners???

Goatwhiskers
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Recluse just calls a spade a spade, unless he's angry and calls it a blankin' shovel. GW

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 11:25 PM
I see the Austin mindset hasn't changed. lol I never liked that place anyway. lol Do they still have the flower children on the corners???

Man you are going Back some aren't you lol.

Love Life
02-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Did you shoot the new revolver yet?

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry to say I have not had the chance. :(

I think for my first loads will just be some low end loads for starters with a 240 gr SWC and some Titegroup. And cast up some 431244 255Gr SWC GC and some H-110 :).

I still need to do some more cleaning on the barrel since it is obvious that Ruger Fired all Six chambers through it with jacketed loads.

But darn it they only give me one used case lol.

Love Life
02-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Looks like it will be a handful!!

JesterGrin_1
02-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Yep it is a little Pea Shooter lol. But I think it is Perfect for what it is intended for. :)

I do not plan to keep it loaded with high end loads most of the time. But do have a 300Gr RNHP/GC for it and the Lee 310 Gr RNFP/GC as well. I am sure those will be an experience lol.

runfiverun
02-27-2013, 01:51 AM
here's a pedestrian, mundane, tried and true 44 special load.
7grs of unique and the 429241 with a cci lp primer.
i worked it up carefully,then found out it was the most popular 44 special load ever, besides elmers 2400 load.
so i changed it to 7.2 grs to be different.

JesterGrin_1
02-27-2013, 02:35 AM
here's a pedestrian, mundane, tried and true 44 special load.
7grs of unique and the 429241 with a cci lp primer.
i worked it up carefully,then found out it was the most popular 44 special load ever, besides elmers 2400 load.
so i changed it to 7.2 grs to be different.

I have no .44 Special Brass. Only .44 Magnum brass both Starline and Remington. I just purchased the .44 Magnum Starline just for this Pistol lol. :)

But really I intended the .44 Magnum Starline Brass for High End loads and the Remington for Low to Mid range loads.

runfiverun
02-27-2013, 03:10 AM
okay you twisted my arm, use 9.3 grs in the 44 mag cases.
starline brass has just a titch less case capacity than some of the others.
at 19.3 grs of 2400 i was showing about 40 more fps with it.
i think remington was next fastest by about 20 fps and win and cbc was slowest.

Boyscout
02-27-2013, 03:49 AM
I have a membership at a local gun store here for the range. The store is run by retired police officers and all customers are treated the same. A ways back a couple of Army reservist came in uniform and asked to go to the head of the line as they were on duty that weekend; one of the principles told them that only range members got head of the line priviedges and the wait was 1 hour no exceptions. If they hadn't gotten so nasty with the staff I would have offered to let them shoot with me. I only had to wait 5 minutes. There are limits on ammo also but only as to how much is purchased and not by whom.

softpoint
02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
That is Nice Artful. It appears what they are saying is the Public can go pound sand. But in there nice way lol.

I was in that place 2 weeks ago,for the first time. All I bought from them was a speed loader for a j frame. I wasn't too impressed with the store, either. They had cases of ammo sitting out in the middle of the store with sale prices on them, and then in smaller print said the ammo was for LE and LE training only. I won't be going back there.

softpoint
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Austin really isn't too bad. There are lots of good folk there, It's the libs there that make all the noise, though. My daughter graduated from UT there, and is now in medical school, and she married a fellow who was born and raised there. They will probably stay there forever, as he has a good job there. Those two are as pro 2A as you'd ever find and ultra conservative. Actually, I'd say Austin isn't as liberal as it was 20 years ago, overall, but it certainly still has it's share of fruitloops. My daughter used to complain about some of the professors at UT being that way. Like most cities now, the people on the right side of the fence are quietly at work, while those on the left side are carrying signs, protesting something, and making their presence and value to society well known....:)

TheGrimReaper
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
What a bunch of BullCrap!!! I would have thrown a fit!

starmac
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Austin has always had some great people, just also had more than it's share of moonbats. lol

I heard that they have closed barton springs, which probably had as many bikinis per square foot as New Braunsfuls, what a shame.

KCSO
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Our ammo is reserved for our regular customers now. We have had people calling from 200 miles away wanting ammo. I am not cleaning off our shelves for folks that will never come here again after they clean us out. BUT we save at least one box of ammo to sell with every gun, you buy a gun you get some ammo and I can't believe they gave that lame excuse.

blackthorn
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
A business that will only sell ammunition to military/leo obviously believe it is just fine for only those entities to be armed! To me that means they would be just fine with a police state! Spread the word any way you can and do everything you can to hurt their bottom line!

JesterGrin_1
02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
A business that will only sell ammunition to military/leo obviously believe it is just fine for only those entities to be armed! To me that means they would be just fine with a police state! Spread the word any way you can and do everything you can to hurt their bottom line!

That is why I put my story here. And I put it on another site as well. But they did not seem to care one single bit. As there was not one single response.

I think that is the main problem today. People just do not care.

dakotashooter2
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Since most cops get their service ammo through the department (and generally through a pre-order) why would this shop even bother putting it on the shelf then. You can bet any cops or military that are buying it off the shelf there are probably buying it for their private use...................How would the shop know otherwise?..............So why are they getting priority for private use over anyone else?.......................

2HighSpeed
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
I went to get ammo for my husbands 38 this past weekend and they asked me for Id (I've never been I'd to buy ammo before), I showed my NY DL and they said they couldn't sell to me. Said it was law enforcement or military only. So I showed my military Id and was told
They still couldn't sell to me because I'm not active duty. Apparently being a
Spouse means nothing. So hubby went in and bought the ammo and told them off. And also took off a returned what he had on layaway, another 38... For me.
My dad says its just as bad in NY, he had to go to 7 dif places to find ammo for all his rifles. He's decided to finally get some. All growing up he had boxes and boxes of ammo, but once he retires from the army he useually only had a handful or two of rounds for each rifle. Now he has 2 boxes for each, 13 rifles is what he has this far. Still trying to talk him into getting a handgun :-/

gbrown
02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I know I know lol.

And since you mentioned food lol. I asked them where a decent place to eat was that was close. And they sent me to some place called something Burrito lol. Ended up being one of those Austinite Custom Burrito places. I am sure you know what I am talking about lol. Well I figured what the heck I was there and the Traffic was Horrendous so I placed an order for Tacos. Ok so I got them and sat down and proceeded to look for HOT Sauce lol. And saw one that Said Ultra Hot or some such BS. It was little more than Green Tomatio sauce lol. I asked them where the HOT stuff was and they pointed to what I got. I said this is Mild and there jaws dropped lol. Oh no that is very hot lol. I Knew I went into the wrong place lol. I felt like I dropped into some California town lol.

I dealt with GT Dist. many years ago when I was with the SO here. At that time, they dealt primarily with LEO and departments. After I left the SO, tried to get some stuff and they told me since I was no longer an LEO, bye, bye. They were not user friendly then and, apparently, have not changed. In Texas, most of the larger departments have a policy that officers will only used departmentally issued rounds. However, there are hundreds of smaller departments where each officer supplies his/her own weapon and ammunition. Next time in Austin, find a Taco Cabana or go over on the East side and find a Taqueria or Taco Wagon. And, yes, there are still thousands of flower children in and around Austin. They don't have the slogan "Keep Austin Weird" for nothing.

dakotashooter2
02-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Also makes you wonder how many LEOs are buying ammo there then reselling it to their non LEO friends.

TheDoctor
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
IIRC, GT Distributors has contracts with their suppliers to sell to LEO's. Believe it or not, manufacturers charge different rates. Its the only thing that makes sense to me as far as their price difference. I have bought ammo from them before. Gold Dot HP's from them were less than half a normal stores shelf price. I could buy a box of 50 for the same price a box of 20 normally cost. Only difference was the cases were not nickel plated. A lot of firearms manufacturers also have special pricing for LE sales. Those acquired for resale specifically to LE can not be sold to the public for the same prices. Glock for example, will sell most of their models to LE/military for 399.00. But not to the public for those prices. I could be seriously mistaken on my take of this, but GT is legally not able to sell ammo they obtained at a discount for LE sales to the general public. I would be more inclined to wonder why the manufacturers and suppliers are able to, and choose to, give preferential discounts.

blackthorn
02-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Quote "I would be more inclined to wonder why the manufacturers and suppliers are able to, and choose to, give preferential discounts."

Free enterprize! No one ever said free enterprize has to be fair, honest or ethical!

starmac
02-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I have wondered if they are under contract with le and military to supply the ammo. It could be that they have a contract and are having trouble getting enough to cover it, but it should not be on the shelf if that is the case.

jonas302
02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Its too bad you had waited so long for the gun it would have been nice to return that too