PDA

View Full Version : looks like they got some bugs nailed out of the "printable" lowers.

abqcaster
02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tAW72Y_XPF4https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tAW72Y_XPF4

Olevern
02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I certainly wouldn't be abusing my barrel like that. If there was any accuracy to speak of from that barrel, it is now a thing of the past.

xs11jack
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't think abuse of the barrel was the point.
Jack

historicfirearms
02-27-2013, 09:01 AM
I can't wait till these 3d printers become cheap enough for the average person to own one. Imagine all the fun gun things we could print. Lowers, hand guards, grips tailored to your hand, mags, etc.

Boerrancher
02-27-2013, 09:11 AM
I can't wait till these 3d printers become cheap enough for the average person to own one. Imagine all the fun gun things we could print. Lowers, hand guards, grips tailored to your hand, mags, etc.

All the while the Feds will be trying to find ways to stop it. Got to love the government, there is no problem too large for them to create.

Best wishes,

Joe

x101airborne
02-27-2013, 11:02 AM
All the while the Feds will be trying to find ways to stop it. Got to love the government, there is no problem too large for them to create.

Best wishes,

Joe

Aint that the truth!

shooterg
02-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Big flash every few rounds, wonder what the ammo was ? Bet their fingers wished they had a Slide-Fire stock when done !

Katya Mullethov
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I knew they'd get it to run . Really dig that snake temple music .

KYCaster
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Finally, an affordable way to make your own guns.

If the price comes down enough maybe a bunch of Pakistani goat herders could pool their resources to get one of them and start making copies of Martini-Henry and Lee-Enfield rifles.

We could call them "Khyber Pass Rifles". [smilie=1:

Jerry

shooter93
02-27-2013, 07:26 PM
There is a fellow who does have it all worked out to be fully functionable, that may be him.. He's going to give the software away via the net. It's a technology that can't be stopped, there are way to many countries to operate from or like the Syrian rebels....basements. Yes.....the Fed will try....no ban in history has ever worked though.

Stonecrusher
02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
I have some experience with 3d printing and it really is amazing. Frankly I'd like to know how durable it is in that application. The machines typically lay down layers between .007" - .010" thick depending on what size the extruding nozzle is. It is really strong across the layers, but the bond between the layers will break with much less force. Now, you guys need to look up SLS or selective laser sintering. This is a cool technology. They use a laser to solidly fuse powder into a homogenous form, kind of like laying down weld beads on top of each other. This is as strong as a casting or forging. They have different types of plastics and metals to include titanium. I don't think they have the bugs worked out of using aluminum yet. It is fast accurate, almost good enough for ID-OD threads. When done you take the part out of the pile of powder and pour out the excess. Ths is easier than the 3D printer shown as you have to pick out the support material, thats the black looking stuff in the middle of the receiver in the video. You can't extrude molten material into thin air, the support gives it something to build on. In SLS the powder is its own support. However, the SLS machines are considerably pricier.

abqcaster
02-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Some mighty interesting times we live in, no?

I have some experience with 3d printing and it really is amazing. Frankly I'd like to know how durable it is in that application. The machines typically lay down layers between .007" - .010" thick depending on what size the extruding nozzle is. It is really strong across the layers, but the bond between the layers will break with much less force. Now, you guys need to look up SLS or selective laser sintering. This is a cool technology. They use a laser to solidly fuse powder into a homogenous form, kind of like laying down weld beads on top of each other. This is as strong as a casting or forging. They have different types of plastics and metals to include titanium. I don't think they have the bugs worked out of using aluminum yet. It is fast accurate, almost good enough for ID-OD threads. When done you take the part out of the pile of powder and pour out the excess. Ths is easier than the 3D printer shown as you have to pick out the support material, thats the black looking stuff in the middle of the receiver in the video. You can't extrude molten material into thin air, the support gives it something to build on. In SLS the powder is its own support. However, the SLS machines are considerably pricier.