PDA

View Full Version : gas checks

mrblue
02-26-2013, 05:40 AM
HOw tight should the gas checks fit? The ones i have feel like they will come off when i put them in the case. I cant pull them off once i run them through a die. ANy insight?

Tatume
02-26-2013, 07:17 AM
If you're loading them in a straight-walled case like pistol ammo or 45-70, the case wall will grip the gas check. If they are very loose and you are loading them in bottle-necked cases and you're worried about them falling off, you have two choices. Seat them so the gas check is in the neck, or use a slow powder that fills the case and presses against the gas check.

That said, I doubt they will fall off even if seated below the neck and just hanging there. Even if one occassionally does, it won't hurt anything, except possibly your group.

btroj
02-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Many of mine could be pulled off before sizing. Sizing the check crimps it onto the shank, that prevents it from falling off.
If the check comes off easily after sizing then a problem exists. If they stay on after sizing then all is well.

Blammer
02-26-2013, 11:13 AM
make sure you run them through the die.

sounds like they are working as advertised

runfiverun
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
sounds normal..
i have some boolits that the g/c snaps on and some it falls off if i tip or hit the boolit.
they go through the sizer and are pressed into place and stay on.