PDA

View Full Version : Rotometals Rotometric 400 Solder

MarkK
08-04-2007, 07:53 PM
A hot day at the auction... Guy was in the plumbing business and farming - so all kinds of good stuff. Anyway, here's what I found for $38.

Solder marked , "Rotometals Rotometric 400 Solder". It is in thin 1/2" strips about 2' long. Also some triangular shaped bar solder also thin and unmarked. Don't now how I should treat either one. I'm guessing they're 50/50. There were also a couple bigger 2lb bars marked, "TROUT'S SPECIAL WIPING ALLOY". What's this?

Also scored 40lbs 50/50 bar solder and 7 lbs of pure tin bar solder. Also included in the boxes were about two dozen heavy copper soldering irons - will sell as scrap (25+lbs) unless they're worth more to a plumber or lead worker...?

Any help on the unknown stuff would be appreciated.
TIA, MarkK

BigSlick
08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Never heard of it, but you might contact these people for answers :

http://www.rotometals.com/
________
Headshops (http://headshop.net/)

floodgate
08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
MarKK:

I THINK the "Wiping Alloy" is something around 30 - 35% tin, which gives the longest "slush range" for the old "wiped solder" plumbing joints. But I'll defer to someone else who may be more familiar with the process.

Looks like a GOOD haul!

floodgate

BD
08-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I may be interested in the one or two of the soldering irons, do they hook up to a torch? We've been doing quite a bit of copper roofing and flashing on the coast.
PM sent
BD

MarkK
08-05-2007, 04:36 PM
The solder haul...

Jim
08-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Floodgate is a man about town! That's EXACTLY what "wiping" alloy is. It's been eons since the plumbing code required plumbers to certify on "wiping" a lead joint because the connection method is antiquated. The adapter fittings aren't even made anymore.
The alloy is mostly lead with a bit of tin for "flowability". I'd be willing to bet that the BHN after water dropping would be really good for slow to moderate speed peestola boolits.