PDA

View Full Version : Coupla questions...

Jim
08-04-2007, 05:17 PM
I mentioned in a previous post that I'm about to buy a Lee Pro 4 20 lb. furnace. If any of y'all have one, I have a few questions.

1- What is the inside diameter of the pot? I need to know if my pigs are gonna fit.
2-At what level of fill should I refill?
3- From a cold start, roughly how long does it take to come up to casting temp?
4-Does it have temperature adjustment control or is it set?
5- Daddy, what is the moon made of?:roll:
6- Are we there yet?[smilie=1:
(sorry, couldn't help myself):mrgreen:

SharpsShooter
08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I mentioned in a previous post that I'm about to buy a Lee Pro 4 20 lb. furnace. If any of y'all have one, I have a few questions.

1- What is the inside diameter of the pot? I need to know if my pigs are gonna fit.
2-At what level of fill should I refill?
3- From a cold start, roughly how long does it take to come up to casting temp?
4-Does it have temperature adjustment control or is it set?
5- Daddy, what is the moon made of?:roll:
6- Are we there yet?[smilie=1:
(sorry, couldn't help myself):mrgreen:

1. 4"
2. I fill mine to the top and keep 1# ignots ballanced on the rim to add as needed, usually when I have cast 5# or so.
3. 0 to 850* in less than a half hour
4. Cheese...don't everybody know that
5. Nope.....but when will then be now?

SS

lathesmith
08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
1) About 4"
2)As full as she'll go
3) About 30* minutes--see note below
4)It has a temp adjustment--I start mine on about 9 and then usually end up at around 5 or 6, turning the heat down as the pot empties
5) Blue cheese or Swiss cheese, or maybe Blue Swiss cheese?
6) Not quite, but we're about 30 seconds closer than the last time you asked!

*--I like to set my mold on top of a nearly full (cold) pot and then cover the whole thing with a piece of foil--in 30 minutes or less mold and metal are about the right temp to start casting.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
1. I don't know.
2. I don't know.
3. I don't know.
4. Haven't you seen the cheese commercial? Remember? Man went to the moon over 35 years ago, found it was made of rock, and hasn't been back sense.
5. Muff muff. (I use duct tape to patch up those noisy little caverns). :twisted:

Deano
[smilie=1:

Jim
08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks, Y'all. 'Preciate the info.

Single Shot
08-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Well I guess you all answered the LEE pot questions correctly.

But you all missed the Moon one.

The moon is made of the left n right cheek when pressed against the window glass.

However this can only be viewed correctly from the passing cars. :mrgreen:

:castmine:

zipdog
08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
If it's pressed against glass, a moon becomes a pressed ham. If it's pressed against a screen, it's a diced ham.

Jim
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
It baffles me as to why I keep coming back.:roll:

Jon K
08-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Jim,

Turn on the pot, go and have a cup of coffee, and come back later, experiment, get your hands dirty- wipe them on the seat of your pants........then later the seat of your pants will have the answer to all of the above, except for that moon question- that will always be debated.

BTW, all good advice from above posters. You can always come here and get sound advice, and a little bit of ribbing.

Have Fun,
Jon

:castmine: