PDA

View Full Version : Dad's 45-70

Boerrancher
02-25-2013, 09:20 AM
With everything going on that I discussed in an earlier thread, I was so glad to find that this gun had some how been over looked. I started begging dad to give me this rifle before I was big enough to even pick it up or know what cal it was. The only thing I knew about it was it was the most beautiful gun I ever laid eyes on. The photos do not do this thing justice. Dad could do beautiful work, especially considering that even most of the metal work was done by hand. He and his friend would only build 4 or 5 rifles a year, but they sold for good money even back in the 60's and 70's.

Best wishes,

Joe

Sweetpea
02-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Wow...

1Shirt
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Yep, I ditto Sweet Pea! That is a work of art Joe!
1Shirt!

TheGrimReaper
02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
WOW!!! A piece of ART you got there!!!

Bullshop
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Can I shoot it?

koehn,jim
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
That is a beautiful stock , looks like he was a true artist.

Boerrancher
02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Can I shoot it?

I will tell you what. If I can ever swing a trip up to your neck of the woods, I will make sure I bring it so you can shoot it. I would love to take a bear or moose with it. I wonder how many feet of meat and bone I can shoot through with a case full of Alliant 2400 behind a 405 grain cast? That was dad's pet load for that rifle. At 500 yards a gallon milk jug didn't stand a chance with an off hand shot from the old man when he was in his prime. He was around 55 years old when the rifle and his pet load separated a half dozen or so ribs from his spine. After that it became a safe queen. I personally am pulling down the few pieces of ammo that he had left for that rifle. Dad was 6' 6" and weighed 300 lbs when he was a young man in his prime. I don't have the bones and build to pull the trigger on his loads. Especially now that I have so much hardware in me after my free Southwest Asian Vacation. I will save a couple of dad's loads if any want to come pull the trigger on them.

Best wishes,

Joe

Olevern
02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
That there's a beautiful rifle. I have a very nice conversion of a Siamese Mauser to .45-70 which would be the last gun gone in difficult times, it is accurate, powerful and will do anything I task it with this side of Africa. That being said, it sure ain't as Purdy as yours. Glad you got it before the scavengers got to it.

Bullshop
02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Going back to a time when I thought it was fun I topped out the old Speer manual at 62gn Reloader 7 with their 405 gn bullet for something about 2200 fps.
No sign of high pressure at all so contacted the tech at Speer which was just over the hill at the time I was living in the Bitterroot.
He told us the data for the manual was not discontinued because they reached max pressure but because the tech could no longer stand the recoil.
This data was from the section for Siamese Mauser, Ruger #1 and Browning B-78

DLCTEX
02-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Awesome gun and fearsome loads. I'm not pulling the trigger on those!

John Guedry
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
That's a beauty,my dad's 45/70 is a trapdoor that I inherited in 1977.

cbrick
02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Almost too purdy to shoot . . . Well, almost.

I read the other thread, sure is great you got this one.

Rick

LUBEDUDE
02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Anyone would be proud to own such a fine piece of art and machinery.

Thanks for sharing!

Artful
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Thanks for sharing - Lots of bubba'd guns out there but a few were done by craftsmen, and it's always a pleasure to see one.

Blacksmith
02-26-2013, 01:30 AM
A lot of memories in that gun, enjoy them.

lmcollins
02-26-2013, 02:16 AM
That looks like a stock blank from Herters. That is definately their zigzag line spacers.

That is a true relic from the past. I wish it were mine. It takes me back to the 60's.

SCIBUL
02-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Wow ! Very beautiful rifle in an amazing caliber ! Enjoy.

Boerrancher
02-26-2013, 08:27 AM
That looks like a stock blank from Herters. That is definately their zigzag line spacers.

That is a true relic from the past.

Dad always purchased his hardware from Herters when they were open. I can remember as a very young lad making a trip twice a year to Herters. I would spend hours wandering the store looking at the wildlife collection and antique fishing tackle. At the end of the day or two days, the truck would be loaded with gun parts, primers, powder and bullets and we would head home.

I never gave it a thought about the Herters connection with that old rifle, but since you mentioned it, yes I am sure the grip cap, spacers, and recoil pad as well as the wood is from Herters. I remember Dad cutting out that stock. It took a long time because he had to do most of it with rasps to shape it. He was able to inlet it with a hammer and chisels, because he was glass bedding it. On the out side, even with chisels that were sharp enough to shave with, they would break and tear out the little birds eye spots in the wood. That was the first and last birds eye maple stock dad ever cut. He told me when I ask about cutting one, that for the amount of time it takes to make one it doesn't pay out unless one plans on keeping it.

Thank you all for your kind words and helping refresh my memory of days long past. I am so glad I got that gun back. I have waited a life time for this rifle, and I am so relieved that it is in my possession now since dad is no longer with us.

Best wishes,

Joe

WILCO
02-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Wow...

My exact word and thought!

Stunning!

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
That maple stock is so mottled and burled, I thought it was a camo job when I saw it on my phone!
Really awesome, Joe. That thing is beautiful. And yes, if that load pulled six ribs off a 6'6 man at 300 pounds, I dang sure aint the man for calling someone weak cause they wont touch one off! Oooff!
That has to be close to or over African Game standards.

DLCTEX
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
That's an unbelievable amount of bird's eye on that wood! What would a blank like that go for today? More than I could afford I'm sure.