PDA

View Full Version : Had a good day today

nhrifle
02-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Spent the morning and most of the afternoon getting a new reloader on the right track. Emphasized safety and attention to detail, not to round powder measurements, and so forth. Went through how to set up the dies and proper brass prep. The cartridges he loaded for this lesson were for his .454 Cassull, built with 270 grain RN boolits and Trail Boss, loaded to .45 Colt levels. I made him do the whole thing on a single stage press so he would get a feel for the process. He enjoyed himself and learned alot today, and had fun test firing a few random samples from time to time.

I had some success too. Fired my first .223 cast loads today. I bought a NOE 225-70 mould from a member here and selected the best 5 of those I had cast, lubed and checked them, and seated them over a charge of Varget and took them out to the yard to fire. It was mostly dark at this time, so I wasn't able to shoot for accuracy, just to see how they did. First shot was across the field, about 150 yards, and I got a nice sonic crack. Fired the rest and went back in. Brass looked good, no pressure signs and just a little soot around the neck. The barrel is shiny and clean so they didn't lead a bit. I'm happy!

Rifle is a T/C Encore, .223, 24" barrel.

**oneshot**
02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Just remember, it's like feeding the stray cat. Now he will keep coming back, maybe even bring a freind. See what you started.

Keep up the good work.

nhrifle
02-25-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm just happy to get the information out there and give the new loaders some hands on instruction so they don't get hurt. I hope he does bring a friend or two!