PDA

View Full Version : I'm speachless...

Doc65
02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Any of you that have read my posts know I'm rarely at a loss for words, in fact I find that I tend to get a bit long winded from time to time on subjects that I'm passionate about.

I was totally at a loss for words TWICE today.

A few months back I was out west shooting at what I thought was an old rarely used gravel pit on county land, I'd shot there a few times as there was a fair amount of evidence that others did too: boxes, cans, sadly some glass, etc. While I was putting a few rounds over the Chrony an old farmer in an Ford with a snow plow on the front pulls up, so I stop shooting & talk to him for a few minutes, turns out it's his property, he just lets the county stage gravel there for county road maintenance. Well at that point I'm figuring I'm about to get run off, but no, he says he was about to post it a while back till he noticed that after each time he saw my Jeep(it's a bit distinctive being Ex USFS light Green) there was less leftovers than the day before, so I was welcome to shoot as much as I wanted, just not before sunrise "as the missus has trouble sleeping sometimes & I like to let her sleep if she can..."

About a month ago I was on my way back home & noticed him over at the house fighting with the snowplow mechanism. Seems it's been broken for some time, and he had a few rather steep quotes to fix it. I looked at it & it was going to need some work, but nothing too difficult, so I talked him into following me into town to my house where I could work on it(getting him to agree was no easy task), we got it in the garage & I sent him home in my Jeep, that was a Saturday morning, Sunday afternoon I called him & said when he got a chance come get it... I had all the pivot points rebuilt & re-enforced, a couple of supports re-welded & had the hydraulics working again. He asked what he owed me, told him, nothing, it was the least I could do, & still believe that. When he arrived we talked for a while & he grudgingly said that if they were better off financially he would have insisted on paying, but as it was he'd brought a couple boxes of beef, mixed steaks, roasts & burger(there was easily a hundred pounds of beef, worth more than I would have charged IF I were going to charge, but it was a situation where arguing it would have been disrespectful so I just said thanks you & we put it in the freezer).

Well time went by & I had stopped a couple other times when I saw him out & a couple weeks ago he invites me in for coffee, I notice an old Winchester 94 in the corner, so I ask if I can look at it, he says go ahead, it's obvious it hasn't been fired in a LONG time. I put it back & told him if you ever decide to sell it, let me know & I'll give you a fair price for it.

That brings us to now, Friday evening he called & asked if I'd come out to breakfast Sunday(today), there's a few things he'd like to talk about, and a couple things he'd like me to look at. I said sure I'd be there. So we had breakfast, he looks at his empty coffee cup & gets up, I figured he was just going for a refill, but he walks into the other rooms & comes back with the old 94, says "me & Betty talked about it & think this has been standing in the corner long enough, we think Danny would want you to have it..." This is where I go speechless the first time as what just happened sinks in, They're only son, Danny, died in the 75 during the evacuation of Saigon, the trifold Flag & his Purple Heart & Silver Star are on the mantle is the only reason I know this as neither of them talk about it, the 94 was his rifle & it stood in that corner for 40 years.

I think I stammered something about not deserving it, I got a look from Bud that said arguing wasn't going to fly along with a few insistent words from Betty.

A little while later Bud & I were looking at one of the trailers that had a few issues, mainly just needed a few welds reinforced where they were cracking & he goes quiet for a minute & looks like he's a long way off thinking, then he comes back, looks at me & says "Ya know, we get a couple agricultural deer permits each year, ain't used 'em in ages, I think it'd really make Betty happy if next fall you'd use 'em with Danny's old rifle & if ya fill em you could skin 'em in the shed..." Well, now I'm speechless for the second time in an hour, had to clear my eye, must have gotten something in it, all I managed to say, I think, is "I'd be honored"

I feel like I've just been adopted as the grandson they never had.

Sweetpea
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
It's rare when we get to choose family... cherish them.

SlippShodd
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Karma.
Some say she's a bitch.
They've just never handled her with the proper respect.

Good on ya.

mike

tanstafl10
sometimes we just have be there for each other...

454PB
A great example of what happens when people treat each other with respect and generosity!

**oneshot**
02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Amazing and wonderful story!

hithard
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Adopted, No, there's alot more going on there than that. Thanks for sharing!

Made my bad eye start giving me problems again.

357maximum
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Karma.
Some say she's a bitch.
They've just never handled her with the proper respect.

Good on ya.

mike

A more elequent version of what I wanted to say..,,,,,,,so X2,
Mike

crawfobj
02-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I must have the same bad eye condition...

41 mag fan
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Wow...that's an honor, when a family gives something that meant so much to their late son.

dbosman
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Damned eye condition appears to be contagious.

scottiemom
02-24-2013, 05:25 PM
wow- there are still some decent people out there-gives me hope. thanks for sharing. Gotta find the Kleeenex!

tiwimon
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM

Don't think I can say anything beyond what everyone else has already said - but sweetpea's comment stands out - cherish them. Good people are hard to find, and even harder to find folks that just as well could be family

Sweetpea
02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
BTW, we had a funeral last week for a "chosen" grandmother...

Enjoy them while you have them.

WILCO
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. It's always good to hear of such things.

bayjoe
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
It was really good to read your story. I guess that old rural behavior that neighbors help each other ain't dead just yet.
We drive down the road and tolerate rude drivers, people texting, eating and that all important cell phone.Don't you just love that anoying finger when that cell phone rings
People act like if they don't answer that cell phone the world will come to an end.
Good manners and helping your neighbor, was one of the things I was taught growing up. Thanks for the refresher

Charlie Two Tracks
02-24-2013, 06:33 PM
You started the chain of events. By respecting another's property they realized you different than some of the others out there. Thanks for sharing that Doc. I hope a big honkin buck comes by this year.

chambers
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM
I compliment you on respecting others people's property and you were rewarded with a new friend and all the good stuff that goes along with it. Treat that 94' with respect it deserves and share the harvest.

jmort
02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
It does not get any more real than this fantastic tale. Thanks - there are still a lot of good folks out there.

Cactus Farmer
02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
That eye condition is spreadiing like wild fire...........you are blessed. Proud to call you a friend,indeed........

Idaho Mule
02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Doc, thanks for sharing that, that's the way life should be. I have tried my best to teach my son's to "treat others as you wish to be treated" and they are both doing very well. I hope a nice buck comes your way on his property and you share the good fortune with them, which I already know you will. BTW if you don't have the proper mould just say so, I know I would (as well as everyone else here) send you boolits. JW

jcwit
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Man alive am I glad I clicked onto this thread, wonderful story, now if I can only read it to my wife through these tears.

I backtrack, not really a "wonderful" story but a very heart felt story. Yhanks for sharing.

Recluse
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
The ties and bonds of Family come from Love, not biology. After all, even a houseplant can reproduce. Your love for this family was obvious to them and it reached a point to where Love does what it always does--it reciprocates.

And when it does that, it becomes Family.

:coffee:

kartooo
02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
not only did i get the eye condition but the goosebumps to go with it.
thanks for sharing

lightman
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Sometime, Good people meet Good People! That was a special story, Thanks fore sharing it. Lightman

Olevern
02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Good on you; being a good neighbor is a biblical principal. You are each, in his turn enriching the other's lives.

arjacobson
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I let the wife read this. Now we both have an eye condition

williamwaco
02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
You have a lot to live up to!

I am sure you will not let them down.

God bless you all.

CATS
02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Be sure that you show them the ammo that you develop for that specific rifle. Share with them how you cast the Boolit and loaded to the level which that individual rifle shoots best. You now have the chance to turn the sad story of that Winny 94 into joy for them. And don't think that they won't notice that you offer/give them the best cuts or sausage from the deer that is harvested with that rifle.

gkainz
02-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your story. It reminds me so much of the times and places I grew up. Family and neighbors took care of each other and there was no stronger bond than family, but neighbor was right up there with it. I miss that a lot. Combination of urban living and general decline of community, I'm afraid.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2013, 08:30 PM
AMEN !
That's all I got to say...dang watery eye !

daniel lawecki
02-24-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm 56 yrs old I meet my shooting buddy Howard at the range 2001. He's 74or so I've help him get started in reloading when he was 64. I've him rewire his boat trailer lights while he watch. I take him to club meeting and shooting. I've meet his sons and grandsons. He knows my wife and grandkids we shoot every tuesday evening in the winter indoors. All summer we shoot outdoors he lets me use anything he has even his pick-up. We have have a great time doing things he wants to go pig hunting I'm putting money awat for that. So like me you have met wonderful people. good luck

Edubya
02-24-2013, 09:16 PM
That is a wonderful story and I hope that you reflect upon it for the rest of your life. It may be the last thing that goes through your conscious mind. Also, remind yourself of who all are responsible for you having the skills and equipment that you have in order to be of such help; i.e., father, brother or some other possible mentor... they all deserve a nice thought.

EW

Wayne Smith
02-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Eyes watering here, too, especially as I read it to my wife. By any chance did you know Danny? School, stories, anything at all? At least you knew his history.

Yeah, adoption is the least you could say, emotionally at least. Not a tough old buck, a young yearling or a tasty doe is what they would appreciate.

koehlerrk
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Dang.... that eye condition made it all the way to upstate NY.... That bugger is contageous.

Well done, sir, and make sure you take Danny hunting with you when you go. Got a feeling he knows where the deer are and will point you to them.

MostlyOnThePaper
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Randy

1Shirt
02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
One he!! of a story! You are a lucky son of a gun, and so are those folks for having adopted you! God bless!
1Shirt!

Doc Highwall
02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
That was great to read! Got to find a tissue now.

Area Man
02-24-2013, 09:53 PM
While I think there is more of this sort of goodness in the world than many people realize, there certainly isn't enough of it. Thanks so much for sharing. I've been having a pretty good day so far and reading this just made it better by a fair margin.

Alstep
02-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Old America at it's best. What a great story. Gonna have to buy stock in Klenex, seams to be used a lot around here lately. With Bad Water Bill's bear & Loyd's granddaughter story, and now this. God bless.

Fishman
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Inspirational. Thank you.

Blacksmith
02-24-2013, 10:16 PM
You have made us speechless, and blind.

archmaker
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Allergeis are pretty bad down here North of Houston right now.

Thank you.

km101
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Family is not always about blood. Family is having people in your life who want to be there. And who YOU want to be there. Enjoy your new family. You have gotten into something special.

And pass the Kleenex, I seem to have something in my eye too!

wv109323
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Very touching story and am glad you shared it.
Back when I was in high school there was an elderly couple that live about 3/4 mile down the road. Both were in their 80's and he had given up hunting many years before due to his health. One day I offered him a few squirrels that I had just killed. I hunted from my house around the hill and came out of the woods near his home.
For the squirrels I received two egg custard pies a couple days later. It soon became a practice to trade dead squirrels for custard pie.
In those days I hunted with a Ithaca 20 gauge pump. The elderly man told me " That with a 20 gauge you wanted to use No. 5 shot"
I still use No. 5 out of respect for that gentleman and that was some 40 years ago.

dakotashooter2
02-24-2013, 11:04 PM
I just shows that people ARE watching what we do and take note of those who do right............ and sometimes reward us for those efforts........ with friendship.............................

Smitty's Retired
02-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Congrats on the new found family members. These people lost a son, a Hero in their eyes, in a war that a lot of us won't forget, and many others have forgotten. They have accepted you into their hearts and family. They had not only lost a son, but all the years of love to pass down to him, they have lost memories that could have been made, joys of family additions, and grandchildren. They have accepted you, and now have a chance to pass some of their love and memories (both old and new) on with you. As has been said in some of the other posts, you are fortunate, Cherish and hold them close. God has smiled on you, and them.

Lance Boyle
02-25-2013, 01:50 PM

yep, well put and I'll add no more as I'm powerless to do so.

Bulldogger
02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Watery eye in Northern Virginia, thanks for the story. Read it twice.
Bulldogger

LUBEDUDE
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
They saw something special in ya Doc. You're a good man!

darrowj
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Doc65 thank you very much for sharing. Good to hear about good people.

Goatwhiskers
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
By being the person you are you have been blessed with a very special kind of friend, the kind you cherish. Darn allergies, making my eyes water. GW

flint45
02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the great story.That to me is how we should treat each other. Thats the real America. We can all learn from stories like that

cloakndagger
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Ever heard that song "riding with Private Malone"? Yea those eye problems are catching guys...

Awsar
02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
i wish the lousy news media would do this story instead of all the garbage they show.

thank you for sharing great and heart felt story.

Gator 45/70
02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Great story, I know you'll do these people well and Thanks'

10x
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
There are some really good people in the world and it is wonderful when they find each other....

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Yep, Riding With Private Malone. If you don't know the song, you need to look it up.

Rick N Bama
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Yes sir it does seem that way.

reg293
02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Thank you for sharing and for being one of the good guys!

No_1
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Wonderful story. Please post pics once you get that first deer.

mbourbeau12
02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
After losing several friends on the battlefield, I only pray there families can find closure in someone like you Doc.

Thank you
GOD BLESS!

DCP
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Many gave all
All gave some

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
They gave their today

Whistler
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Eye condition just reached across the atlantic.
Thanks for sharing, it really brightened a dark day. At least I thought of it as dark, now I don't really know why.

350Gr
02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
You take care of 'dem adopted Grand Parents... your a cog on the wheel of their life that has been missing a long time!

Stonecrusher
02-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Great story. I seem to have the problem with both of my eyes. Hearing things like this make my day!