PDA

View Full Version : Old times, good memories

Goatwhiskers
02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Sitting around the house, I'm by myself today. Dad's been gone over 30 years, but I spotted his old french drip coffee pot up on the top shelf. Pulled it down, cleaned it up, and made me a pot of gen-u-wine Cajun coffee. There's reason why you drink it in demitasse cups. Sure brings back some good memories. GW

Beekeeper
02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Same here My Dad has been gone 35 years and I still miss him.
I have his 12 Ga SXS double coach gun that I take out and fire just to let him know I still care!!

beekeeper

Idaho Mule
02-24-2013, 03:27 PM
My Dad has only been gone 6 months (on the 27th it will be 6 months). I probably should take his single-six for a walk today. Also need to get over to his place and fix the toilet valve. I got a new tv for over there a week ago and a dvd player. Might be a good day for watching a John Wayne movie. JW

km101
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
My dad has been gone for more than 50 years. He died young, but left a lot of memories. I miss him more each time I run across his badge and duty weapon in my safe. Or when I take his old Browning A-5 in Sweet 16 out to handle and clean it.

swamp
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Goatwhiskers,
I have been trying to find one of those coffe makers. No one around knows what a cajun is, let alone the coffee maker. My grandfather always had one on the stove so coffee was handy. Do you know any place that I might be able to get one?

He told the story of the Texan that ordered a cup of coffee in a cajun cafe and made fun of the small cup. Said they were short of coffee in La. After he had a taste, said they were short of water.

At least out here I can get French Market Coffee. It is coffee and chicory mix.

Thanks of the memories of my grandfather.

swamp

wch
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
You can choose from a pretty good selection of chicory coffee at Amazon.
"The cajun likes his coffee as black as the Devil's heart, as hot as Hell, and as sweet as an angel's kiss".

41 mag fan
02-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Always remember my grandfather on March 1st when he died 5 yrs ago. He left me several guns, and i get them out as a tribute to him each yr.

Goatwhiskers
02-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Swamp, I'm gonna do some digging around. The quantity of info on the internet is mind-boggling and I haven't seen what you want. I presume the pot you want is the kind where you have to keep dipping water from a pot and pouring it into the strainer of the brew pot. Far as I know those things were just in La., probably wrong. If I find something I'll pass it on. GW

swamp
02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
GW,
No need to put yourself out. I tried searching the web, but so much to wade thru. I thought that there might be a shop in your area that might have them.

That is the pot I remember. Top was for water, middle was for the grounds, and the bottom for coffee. My grandfather always had it in a saucepan with water in it on low heat to keep the coffee hot.

Thanks,
swamp

WILCO
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Goatwhiskers,
I have been trying to find one of those coffee makers.

http://www.cajuncreations.com/detail.aspx?ID=401

Goatwhiskers
02-24-2013, 08:38 PM
There ya go. I think the one you describe is still made by Wearever. GW

swamp
02-24-2013, 08:46 PM
The wearever is the style I remember. Thank you all for the help.
swamp

firefly1957
02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Thankfully my father is still here it has been 28 years since my grandfather has passed and he is still missed i remember when i was young he showed me his gun collection and a Model 81 Remington in 300 Savage and told me how "if you put that front sight on a deer at up to 300 yards you had venison for dinner" . I asked him why he did not use it anymore (he hunted with a Remington 740 in 30-06 or a Ruger 44 carbine) he said "these old eyes and it will not take a scope" . After his passing i have used it to take deer with the Williams receiver sight on it and factory 150 grain ammo i have shot 1 inch 100 yard groups. He always shot 180 gr bullets and i have 6 boxes of very old ammo from him for it but the 150 makes more sense to me. Last year i noticed that the barrel shroud is exactly 1" same as a scope body by using a single scope mount filed and drilled to except screws just ahead of the forearm and using the two rear sight mounting screws i was able to mount a pistol scope to it . It will be hunting again i do miss grandpa this spring i will try to take yodel dogs with it with luck and with 110 gr Speer varmint bullets it shoot quite well. One note these guns are recoil operated and i tried sabots in it the shot well but would not cycle the action at all i got pressure signs as the action would recoil not quite far enough .