PDA

View Full Version : 1st card shoot at the 'coon club

Jim
02-24-2013, 11:42 AM
The Floyd County 'Coon Hunters Association hosted their first card shoot yesterday. In spite of the cold, wet conditions and only 'word of mouth' advertizing, we had 26 registered shooters.

We shot eight splatter boards and eight matches in four hours and all went well. We gave out meat and cash prizes and everybody had a big time.

The youth group from Beaver Creek Baptist Church sold dogs, burgers and snacks from the club house kitchen and made over $200 for their recreational budget. The shooters were tearin' up Miss Lynnette's world famous chili dogs.

Janet took care of registration and ticket sales, Jeff (my huntin' buddy) ran targets, Vince and Billy did the judging and I ran the firing line.

Everybody was asking if this was going to be a regularly scheduled event, so it looks like we're on the map.

JANET AT HER POST

SHOOTERS

GUN TABLE

NEXT GENERATION SHOOTER

SPLATTER BOARD SHOOTER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2eZrF_VFD0)

MATCH RELAY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB8m9owBDAg)

Olevern
02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Looks like great fun; when is the next one?

Jim
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Looks like great fun; when is the next one?

March 9th. Registration starts at 10 AM, matches start at 11 AM. Targets and 12 gauge shells provided.

gnoahhh
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Those card shoots are a bunch of fun. You see some pretty 'racy' shotguns show up that'll put darn near all of the pellets in one card. Often enough a dub (like me) slops a BB onto the 'X' to beat out the race guns which keeps it interesting.

Out where I shoot, .410's are gaining popularity as a sub-genre of the sport. Guys are building custom .410's that shoot like rifles, usually on el-cheapo frames with custom barrels/chokes, and loading outrageously heavy loads of #9's in their shells. (.410 events allow competitors to use their own ammo, unlike the 12 gauge events- #9 shot or larger being the only rule. These guys load them pretty light, with heavy shot charges- after all the BB's only have to make it as far as the target. I saw .410 guns that would chew a big ragged hole out of the center of the 5x7 card at 20 yards.)

JeffinNZ
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
So the uniform is blue jeans and a camo jacket right? Don't be seeing any purple longjohns!

scottiemom
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
So the uniform is blue jeans and a camo jacket right? Don't be seeing any purple longjohns!

I was the only person in the whole place who did not have cammo on. I hate to admit it but I don't OWN anything cammo either. They almost didn't let me in the door!!

Jim
02-24-2013, 06:29 PM
I was the only person in the whole place who did not have cammo on. I hate to admit it but I don't OWN anything cammo either. They almost didn't let me in the door!!

Yeah, right. Y'all b'lieve whatcha' want. Not only would this shoot have not happened without Janet running ticket sales, we made dang sure she was right next to the wood stove!

Jeff, ya' don't see too many fellas runnin' around Floyd County in purple long johns. I'd be scared to think what might come of a coupla' these ol' boys around here runnin' up on that. "Daryl, looka' yonder! Kill that thang!"

WILCO
02-24-2013, 06:34 PM

That's how they roll in Floyd! Thanks for sharing Jim. I really enjoyed the pictures and videos.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Well, now, if they had on purple longjohns under the camo and jeans, how would anyone know? As the weather has been lately I wouldn't be surprised at all. Assuming the availability of said purple longjohns locally anyway.

Looks like a fun time was had by all.

km101
02-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Wayne, real men dont wear purple long johns! At least not until I lost the bet! But that's another story. :rolleyes:

JeffinNZ
02-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Man, I musta lost some bets! [smilie=1:

btroj
02-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Jeff, you ever heard someone say "Son, You ain't from around here, are ya?" before?
Bring the long johns over to Jim's county and You will hear it. Lots.

JeffinNZ
02-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Jeff, you ever heard someone say "Son, You ain't from around here, are ya?" before?
Bring the long johns over to Jim's county and You will hear it. Lots.

I just need to open my mouth and they would know. People in AL and TN looked at me like I had two heads!

Jim
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Come to Floyd. 'Long as you're with me, you'll be welcome. We'll get drunk, go shoot the windows outa' the courthouse an' then hold up the mexican restaurant. I got plenty o' guns, you can take ya' pick. Me, I'll be usin' a sawed off 12 gauge pump. When you're full o' Jack Daniel's, the wide pattern comes in real handy.

starmac
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Back when I was 13, I bought an old single barrel 12 with a 36 inch barrel. We had a turkey shoot at huffman tx that had a similar event, except the cards were 12 in targets. The one who could get the most pellets in it won a turkey or ham. there were several other events, but this was the only one I shot in, and it lasted all day. You could shoot as many times as you wanted to stand in line and pay the entry fee, BUT both years I went they cut my gun off after 2 shoots. I could still shoot, but had to use a house gun after I got one turkey and one ham. lol

Wayne Smith
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Damn, I've gotta go get some dye! All mine are white. That ain't no fun.

Jim
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Damn, I've gotta go get some dye! All mine are white. That ain't no fun.

When ya' get that done, gimme' a call an' come on down. Gimme' 24 hours to get some tickets sold first, though.

Wha' y'all think, fellas? Would $5 a shot be fair?

starmac
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
I don't know Jim, I saw a guy with purple hair. I would probably have given 5 bucks to not see. lol

JeffinNZ
02-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Jim, we do a 'turkey' shoot at Christmas. Target target at 25-30 yards with a six inch square hole in the middle. You place your card in back of the target and fire a shot. Most holes in their card wins. It was instigated to encourage folk to work up the best handloads they could for their scattergun.

Jim
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Our targets are commercial printer manufactured to our specs. We currently have seven shooting positions, but that's about to change to ten. Guess who gets the honor of boring the holes and setting the posts. :roll:

A target is bulldog clipped to the target post at 90 ft. from the firing line and the shooter is handed a shell for each shot he pays for. Guns must be 'stock', no custom built chokes and/or barrels. Aftermarket turkey chokes are allowed.

Shooter
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Guns must be 'stock', no custom built chokes and/or barrels. Aftermarket turkey chokes are allowed.

I like that! Most of the matches around me have turned into "Equipment Races" with bull barrels and scopes.
A plain shotgun don't have a chance.
I might have to climb the mountain to Floyd with my H&R single barrel.

JeffinNZ
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I agree Shooter. 'Stock' guns prevent all sorts of problems. Also encourages people to really work on making their piece shoot.

Jim
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
I like that! Most of the matches around me have turned into "Equipment Races" with bull barrels and scopes.
A plain shotgun don't have a chance.
I might have to climb the mountain to Floyd with my H&R single barrel.

I've been shooting matches at the local VFW post for the last three years. I've seen quite a few people walk out with big chunks of meat they've won with single barrel guns. When all things are equal, everyone has a fair chance. That's how we're gonna' do it at the 'coon club shoots.