PDA

View Full Version : What dio I lube the mold with?

armoredman
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
A peice of melted bullet lube, regular gun oil, I was told I neededto lube to work properly. And I have to wash the mold first, and "smoke" it with a match?

EMC45
08-03-2007, 12:26 PM
If it's a Lee only lube the alignment grooves and the sprue screw. And smoke the dickens out of it!

MtGun44
08-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Bullshop, who advertises at the bottom of the page, sells their special mold
lube which is really great stuff. Oil or grease will burn on and is not good.
Bullet lube is kinda OK, but doesn't last long.

Bill

KevMT
08-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Someone on this board recomended Nickel Bearing Anti seize available from your local auto parts supply. I have had good luck with it. Just use A SMALL DAB on the alignment pins, sprue plate pivot screw and (on 6 cavity Lee molds) the rear sprueplate hold down screw. As with any mold lube, it is of utmost importance that you use just enough to lubricate the engagemnt surfaces and not so much that it runs in to the cavities.

Kev

armoredman
08-03-2007, 06:48 PM
OK, I have a small amount of BullPlate lube - a dab on the sprue plate, a dab on the alignment lugs? OK, and then smoke it with matches. Got it, thanks. By thunder, I will get this done!

leftiye
08-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I'll probably get crucified for this- but what the hell... I never even thought to lube a mold before I saw the thread about Bullplate lube. I tried it (lubing sprue plate)- I don't like it, oh well.... I do put NEI mold prep (graphite) all over the top of the mold, and the bottom of the sprue plate to keep lead from adhering to them. I also adjust the sprue plate so loose that if it were any looser it would flop around. It lies flat on the mold that way, and doesn't wear out any of its parts. You can also lube the bolt etc with mold prep. I hadn't thought of the mold prep as lube, and I don't usually worry if it is on the bolt or not.

Springfield
08-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I use Bullplate on the sprue bottom and on the alighment pins and some bullet lube on the sprue pivot. If you don't cast lots of bullets you could probably get away with not lubing anything but I doubt your LEE mould would still be casting good bullets after 30,000 bullets like mine do. Lube is important for longevity. My Motorcycle has 185,00 miles on it on the original engine and my Ford Ranger has 198,000 and never been touched except for regular maintenance and a water pump. Things last longer if you lube them properly, even moulds. IMHO